Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 194  
Prev  |  Next
Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/22 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another day of below 100 highs: hit 98 today, but the humidity finally went down enough that 98 doesn't bother me much.

Czarny did the kitty on the wrong side of the door routine all morning, before finally climbing onto his tower for an afternoon nap.

About 3 miles west, as the crow flies, folks reported seeing a cougar in their neighborhood, and posted a photo from their doorbell camera. Not surprised; they have to transit the neighborhoods to get to the lake for a drink. Then a wild hog got killed on the roadside about 2 miles southwest of us: frankly, that's a lot more worrying than an isolated cougar sighting. Last thing we need is a herd of those nasty things destroying everything.

Might be getting a bit interesting around here...

Spousal Unit added a blown hamstring to his woes. He's a right mess now, poor thing. He has to be at the surgery center by 0645 on Monday, meaning we have to leave here not later than 0500, meaning we have to get up at 0330. I may just take a nap in my recliner through the previous evening. I can also nap while they're doing the biopsy and waiting for him to wake up enough to come home.

Well, I see the mail being delivered. Time to take a walk. Later, y'all.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/22 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prayers for SUs successful surgery.

With cougars and wild hogs I don't blame Czarny for his indecision re outdoors. I wouldn't be surprised if he asked for a litter box and permanent indoor status. We had coyotes who killed one of our cats. We went coyote hunting after that and solved that issue but predators always target pets.

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/22 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All our cats have always had a litter box. We have the Litter Robot, and boy, have we gotten our money's worth from it. Spotacus liked to climb into it and just sit there a few minutes, then climb out and sit in front of it, waiting for it to clean itself. He was easily amused...

We also have an indoor water fountain, so our cats can drink running water. It's easy to clean every two weeks, and the water sounds keeps older guys' plumbing fully functional....if it doesn't outright put them to sleep.

Czarny actually spends far more time inside than out, thankfully. He does still insist on taking me for a walk, which is good for me, and we play chase when it's not so hot.

We did get a big scare last night. Czarny went outside with us while we were just sitting on the deck. When we went back inside, he was still on the sofa and not interested in coming in with us right then. Unfortunately, we forgot he was out there until it was fully dark. Spousal Unit went out to call him, and came face to face with a fox standing on the deck, beside the steps down to the east side of the house. It took off, and we immediately began calling Czarny. Took almost an hour before he showed up, safe and sound, if a bit spooked.

He's not showing much interest in being outside today, which is good, considering it's currently 102 out there, and it wasn't supposed to be that hot today.

I see the pool is finally in the shade, so it's swimming time (or just enjoying the water time). Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/22 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep. Those foxes will snack on cats. I'm glad you found the Czar and brought him in. It's traumatizing to lose a beloved pet to a predator.

Sounds like your felines aren't Luddites. They're high tech.[emoticon]

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/22 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spousal Unit's procedure went well this morning. Results in 7-10 days. He's to take today easy, then resume normal activity tomorrow.

They also said no spicy food, so instead of having shakshuka at the nearby MidEast restaurant, we went to a creperie instead. He's always loved a good Nutella crepe.

He and Czarny are napping together now. I'm considering a nap myself, since there was absolutely no chance of napping in the surgery center waiting room.

Brother and family arrive on Wednesday and stay until Sunday, while they visit Mom each day. Czarny will have more folks available to give him skritches.

I'm flagging now. Nap time. Later, y'all.

Stephany

Brier, WA (just north of Seattle)

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/22 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to hear that the surgery is behind you both. Naps are definitely called for all around. My fingers are crossed and my thoughts focused on the best outcome from the lab.

Stephany

Stephany & Wally Schneider + 2 grown kids, a ball-obsessed beagle, and a camping cat
2004 Sunnybrook 2850SL
2002 GMC 2500HD Duramax crew cab short bed

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/22 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to hear that surgery went well. Furry nap buddies make the best nurses. Nutella sounds like a plan to me. I think I'll put some on bread to go with the grilled pork chops and green beans.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/22 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For Czarny:

[image]

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/22 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magnusfide wrote:

For Czarny:

[image]

Love it. Thanks.

Well, Spousal Unit got the news yesterday. It's prostate cancer. Next up will be a testosterone blocker, a cat scan to see if it's metastasized, then treatment options. He's pretty calm about it; he suspected cancer long before the biopsy.

He's always been a fast healer. His basel cell carcinoma was cut out two weeks ago and the stitches removed a week later. Nothing there now but a small scar. When his appendix blew up, his body walled off the infection. When he gashed his leg, it healed completely in two weeks. Cuts, bruises, scrapes, dings -- they heal super fast. If this cancer hasn't metastasized, his body will probably take whichever treatment and run with it way beyond expectations.

Back on the critter front, Daddy Fox led his three kits past the house and up the hill yesterday, in full view. Then this morning, SIL interrupted their drink of water, and Daddy Fox growled at her, so instead of going for her morning walk right then, she came back inside until the foxes could finish their morning routine.

A couple hours later, Czarny and I went out on the deck. As I strolled toward the garage, Daddy Fox exploded out from under the pool, ran to the other end of the garage, sat down, and stared at me. I guess he was still supervising the kits and hadn't gotten them back to the den yet. I talked to him normally, and he finally strolled back toward the den.

I also ushered Czarny back inside, where he stayed all day. He's not particularly happy about having done so, but with Daddy Fox and three kits out hunting together, he's safer inside.

Bedtime. The family is descending upon us for elk roast and a pool party tomorrow.

Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/22 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prayers for SU to be healed and quickly.

I'll admit I chuckled when you mentioned a "cat scan".
[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 194  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.