Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 194  
Prev  |  Next
Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/22 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We visited a buddy in a VA rehab facility last Monday. On Wednesday, his wife called to tell us he and his roomie tested positive for COVID, but were asymptomatic. We hunkered down at home, hoping we didn't come down with it.

Nope. My nose started running a marathon. This is not unusual, especially when the humidity suddenly appears, but I took a test anyway. Negative. Okay then.

On Friday, Spousal Unit was in enormous pain and the catheter bag wasn't filling. Took him in; they flushed big blood clots out (from the biopsy procedure on 1 Aug), all is much better. They also started his treatment with a drug called Firmagon. We giggled a lot over the name; someone definitely has a sense of humor.

On Saturday, his thighs began to hurt, so much so that he can barely walk. Would he go to a critical care facility? Nope. He'll just take ibuprofen and gut it out. Except when I told Sister (nurse) this morning, she called and announced she's coming up to take him to the ER. Good. It helps to have medical folks in the family.

He felt okay enough yesterday that we were going to visit friends for an outdoor BBQ. I took another test, just in case. Danged thing was positive -- after a few days of nothing more than a runny nose (and slightly chapped by now). Missed the gathering, just in case, even though the current guidelines said five days from onset and one is clear if no fever and any symptoms are improving.

Still taking him for the cat and bone scans Wednesday. Per guidelines, I'll wear an N95 mask. Meanwhile, has he come down with COVID? No, of course not. He may have cancer, but COVID has no chance with his immune system...

We actually got almost ΒΌ" of rain yesterday and early this morning. We're grateful for anything in this drought.

The humidity out there is making my nose run again, after it was nearly dried up yesterday. Czarny stuck his nose out the door, looked back at me like it was my fault, then crawled under the spare bedroom blanket and sacked out.

Need to go to the pharmacy drive-through and ask for more test kits. Not taking any chances with him or Mom.

Time to ready Spousal Unit for Sister's arrival. Later, y'all.

* This post was edited 08/15/22 10:45am by Wanderlost *

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/22 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keeping you all in prayer. This hasn't been an easy couple of years for anyone.

Maybe a time travel trip would help.
[image]

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/22 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A time travel trip back 20 years would be good. I'll explain.

Spousal Unit's prostate cancer has been around for at least 20 years, according to the urology oncologist. SU spent all those years claiming the various pains he suffered was sciatia, a blown hamstring, yada yada yada. Nope. The cancer is in his spine.

On 29 Aug, he'll undergo the first of several procedures, where an Osteocool Radio Frequency ablation device will kill the cancer in the vertebrae, then they'll fill the void with bone cement. Although the cancer will be gone from his spine, the neurosurgeon said likely it would only cut the pain level about 50% or so.

As for the prostate itself, the Firmagon injections continue every 28 days. It's the main treatment for prostate cancer, killing off the testosterone that acts like gasoline on a fire. We'll meet with urology oncologist next week to see what else may be necessary.

He was to have the first back surgery (it's orthoscopic) this week, but tested positive for COVID. They slapped him into a back brace, gave him a prescription for 5 pain pills, gave him a referral to a pain management doctor, and sent him home. As of right now, we've heard nothing from the pharmacy and he's not to take anything else for pain. He's rather miserable, but happy to be home.

His next appointment is after the isolation period, and he's not sick at all, so that doesn't seem to be an issue. The home health nurse will come Monday to evaluate him, then he should be getting physical therapy a couple times a week once they sort out when he can start doing it. At the moment, the back brace is there to keep his spine aligned and not breaking where the cancer ate the vertebrae so thin, and he's not to bend over, twist, or do much of anything except walk as much as his stamina and the pain will allow.

Now we have to coordinate all of his appointments with Mom's appointments and determine which family member will take Mom somewhere (I'm taking all of Rodney's), and who will stay with Rodney while I'm taking Mom. Just sorting out the schedule is already giving me a headache. Sigh.

Poor Czarny only gets to take me for a walk early in the morning or just before sundown, and only if I don't have to change the pool filter again or sweep out the dead algae that just won't go away. We did get to sit on the porch together yesterday, while it rained a half inch of desperately needed water. As long as I was on the porch with him, he was happy.

Meanwhile, both of us were published yesterday again. If you like ghost stories and libraries, check it out: The Haunted Library Anthology Volume 1

Spousal Unit needs lunch. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/22 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations on the publication. We'll keep SU in prayer for sure.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/22 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SU is really hurting right now. He can't take Motrin (which works) until after the surgeries, which are Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning. The serious medication they gave him works somewhat, but he doesn't like taking something that causes him to fall asleep all the time. So he's just hanging on in hopes the majority of this pain will be gone by Tuesday.

Czarny has decided to be an inside cat of late. No idea why, but I'm not objecting. At the moment, he's relaxing on my chair arm.

The buck herd came through yesterday -- about six good sized bucks, two with very respectable racks and the remainder all young.

We had a little over an inch of rain this week, so things are greening up again. That means I have to mow, but the garden tractor isn't working. I ordered a battery powered mower, and will try my hand with it tomorrow, early in the morning before it gets too hot. I don't like wearing boots and long pants when it's this hot.

Czarny has the zoomies. Play time. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/22 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wanderlost wrote:

SU is really hurting right now. He can't take Motrin (which works) until after the surgeries, which are Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning. The serious medication they gave him works somewhat, but he doesn't like taking something that causes him to fall asleep all the time. So he's just hanging on in hopes the majority of this pain will be gone by Tuesday.

Czarny has decided to be an inside cat of late. No idea why, but I'm not objecting. At the moment, he's relaxing on my chair arm.

The buck herd came through yesterday -- about six good sized bucks, two with very respectable racks and the remainder all young.

We had a little over an inch of rain this week, so things are greening up again. That means I have to mow, but the garden tractor isn't working. I ordered a battery powered mower, and will try my hand with it tomorrow, early in the morning before it gets too hot. I don't like wearing boots and long pants when it's this hot.

Czarny has the zoomies. Play time. Later, y'all.

How's SU doing?

We're seeing a lot of foxes around here. Maybe Czarny is seeing predators and deciding to stay inside.

We're also seeing some 8+ point bucks. There's enough of them that the taxidermists will have a busy season too.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/22 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SU had his back surgery. Pain is a lot less in his back, but his hips and right thigh are seriously ticked off now. Met with a radiation doctor yesterday, and as soon as insurance approves, SU will get radiation on his hips. That will involve us driving to the big city and back every weekday for weeks, so three hours every day. Trying to fit in the other medical appointments and a couple of my own are gonna be fun...

A family friend is stepping up to take SU to the occasional radiation treatment when I have to be somewhere else. At least after next week, I won't have to deal with Mom's medical appointments for a couple months. She's going to stay with Older Brother in Kansas, while Sister gets Mom's bathroom remodeled to a better and safer configuration.

On the up side, his PSA has dropped from 344 to 0.54 after only two Firmagon injections, so the prostate cancer is losing its battle.

That battery powered lawn mower was a total bust. When I tried to start it, absolute silence. I guess someone didn't attach some wires, but I'm not going to take it apart. Asking family friend to help me get it into the pickup to return it. Think I'll ask a lawn service to deal with it for now.

Short Friend is still in Maine. She sold the cabin and property up there, but just as she was getting ready to come home, her mom went into ICU. Mom's coming around, though, and two days ago went into rehab. Since Mom has several sisters there, as well as a son, SF feels she can safely come home. Has to, really, as Tall Friend's stint in rehab ends in early October.

Poor Czarny. He will only go outside if I'm with him, and I have so little time to go walking with him. He has to settle for when I'm doing pool maintenance. Now he'll be home alone every weekday, as if we were going to work. Good thing he likes his middle of the day naps...

Good thing he was inside at sundown. I went out to unplug the pool vacuum and heard several foxes calling very close by.

Our hummingbirds are becoming scarcer, but are still here. The main migration right now is butterflies. Haven't seen any monarchs, but the bitty butterflies are everywhere, in vast profusion. Fun to watch, but I hate seeing them fly into windscreens.

Czarny wants to play now. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/22 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sorry to hear about the medical pressures. My said once that when we were young we socialized at parties. Now that we're older our parties and socialization are in the reception rooms of our doctors.

Glad Czarny is safe. Foxes are almost as bad of a predator as coyotes when it comes to our pets. May you all have safe travels in the next few. Prayers continuing.

Stephany

Brier, WA (just north of Seattle)

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/22 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What about staying in your trailer closer to the big city while SU is having radiation? I can't remember whether you still have your fiver. But if you do, that would be easier than driving back and forth daily and Czarny could hang in the trailer with you.

Stephany & Wally Schneider + 2 grown kids, a ball-obsessed beagle, and a camping cat
2004 Sunnybrook 2850SL
2002 GMC 2500HD Duramax crew cab short bed

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/22 10:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stephany, our Class A is currently out of commission (Tall and Short Friend had the fiver). Also there are not that many RV parks in the city and none in the facility's vicinity, so we really wouldn't be saving that much time. With the Winter Texans arriving already, what parks exist are already full.

I recommended Spousal Unit ask for a transfer to the oncology folks in our county seat. That would cut the driving time to 20 minutes. He didn't commit one way or another when I broached it this evening.

On the upside, we were both published again, this time in two volumes of hilarious and mostly true hunting stories. If you need a good laugh, check out How Not To Shoot Fish and Other Deer That Got Away and The Deer Shot Back & Other Hunting Tales.

When not doing all the chores around here, I do try to keep writing and editing. SU is on a roll as well, jotting down several new stories. Hopefully, we'll have some new stuff out by Christmas.

Finally got a working lawn mower, so I mowed the thigh-high grass around the house. Couldn't use the self-propelled part, because I wanted to move at little bit, let the blade chew it up real good, move a bit more, etc. It worked pretty well. Still have a bunch of weedeating to do, but that's for tomorrow, after I clean the pool again, and sort the laundry.

Mom's safely in Kansas with Older Brother for the next couple of months, so I don't have to haul her to various medical appointments for a while. Amazing how much more time one has when not doing that.

The community band is gearing up for all our fall and early winter performances. We played at Octoberfest in Fredericksburg, TX last Saturday. Good performance, very nice audience participation. Two more fests coming up, a monthly gig at a local German restaurant, and all the Christmas stuff will keep us busy. They know that my participation is always contingent on what SU needs. So far, haven't missed any rehearsals or performances.

My guys want me to join them, so I'll sign off and hit the sack. Later, y'all.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 194  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.