Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 158  
Prev  |  Next
Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/19 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All four of Mom's kids showed up for her 94th birthday. Since hers was on the 18th, Short Friend on the 20th, and SIL on the 21st, we had two big parties and a visit to Mom's favorite restaurant. I made Mom's cake, Sister made Short Friend's cake, and Short Friend made SIL's cake.

The menu at our house was fried chicken, mashed taters and gravy, salad, deviled eggs, and cake. At Short Friend's house, it was ham, coleslaw, salad, rolls, and cake. After each gathering, we sent people home with leftovers. Actually managed to send all the cake elsewhere. Still, my carb intake was way too high for several days, and my system is telling me all about it.

SIL and brother flew home Sunday. Brother 2 flies home tonight. Peace will reign over this domain once again, and the cats will come out from under the bed. They were actually fine with all the company, as long as no one tried to get all chummy.

Czarny's getting quite brave around WLToo now. WLToo was sitting in his recliner when Czarny noticed a bug on the floor lamp. He jumped up on the back of WLToo's chair, planted one rear foot firmly on WLToo's head, and reached up like a meerkat to slap that bog off the lamp. He also announces to WLToo when it's treats time -- his internal clock is perfectly set to 9:00 pm for those treats.

Rudy will rub all over WLToo's legs when it's treats time, but still doesn't allow petting beyond a short tap on the tail. Still, he's making progress.

Haven't seen the does for a few days. Hope all is well there. Meanwhile, our resident hummingbirds are getting aggressive when they believe it's time for a nectar refill. Funny little birds. The barn swallows have only occupied one nest, on our south porch. The two north porch nests are vacant. Pity. I really miss their gossip fests twice a day.

Time to pack up Brother 2. Later, y'all.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny and Rudy, cat brothers extraordinaire
Spotacus--Rainbow Bridge

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/19 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a birthday extravaganza. Happy birthday to all of them.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We successfully Advantage Multi'ed both cats last night. WLToo reached down and got Rudy while he was rubbing against WLToo's legs. I got Czarny while he was sitting on the bathroom counter. Rudy hid from us for about 30 minutes, then all was back to normal.

Started raining about 0500. It came down so hard around 0730 that I noticed the rainwater collector was fountaining out the top, in addition to a full flow into the swimming pool. Yet the rainfall measure was only .61" so far. At least the pool is full and the meadow's watered.

I see the hummingbirds are hovering at the window. Time to refill the feeder. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/19 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw where Dallas had some flooding. When it rains.......

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/19 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wound up with about 1.5". The pool is an infinity edge pool (not designed for that, but it looks cool). The humidity is still quite high, although it's now clear and sunny. The weeds are 2' high, but WLToo has finally gotten all the parts needed to fix the mower.

Unfortunately, he's sick. Came down with a cold a couple days ago. Got him on an antihistamine and 10,000 iu of Vitamin C each day, and he made his own chicken soup. As of today, his cough and phlegm is much better, although he says he still feels like pooh.

The cats are not inclined to join him in bed. When he coughs or sneezes, it startles them both into hiding. I haven't come down with anything since they came home with us, so I have no idea if they will join me in bed. Alex and Spotacus were very caring to the sick hooman.

The tree frogs tuned up the other night. Good thing we had to close the windows, or they'd have kept us awake with their volume.

Filled up the hummingbird feeder yesterday. Today, it's only down about an inch, indicating they have other nectar sources now. I'm not sure which of the many yellow wildflowers or the milkweed may be those sources. One day I hope to get a master gardener to come over and tell us what's what and where we can add more hummingbird friendly plants.

Until then, we'll just enjoy being buzzed when sitting on the porch near the feeder. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/19 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not get one of those Audubon books on wildflowers. Might be cheaper than hiring a master gardener.

R&C are most likely still "new" to the unusual noises hoomans make. We had a cat that headed under the bed every time one of us coughed. He never got over that unexpected sound but every day he was in our laps.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/19 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the local wildflower books, Magnus. Problem is so many of them look so much alike... Our local master gardeners are doing it for free, as part of local library services, where they maintain the grounds.

Well, WLToo gave me his cough; now I'm scaring the kitties under the bed. The Kraken (Roomba) is also running, so Czarny followed it around until I coughed. I don't actually feel terrible, just have a dry, itchy and painful throat (good thing I don't have tonsils, I guess), slightly stuffy sinuses but not very runny nose, and couldn't sleep for diddly. Hot cinnamon tea and Vitamin C are on the menu.

The hummingbirds sucked down the feeder in one day, but we've only seen two birds at any one time. Either we have more than two or the wildflowers are the wrong kind for hummers.

Yesterday, we made a complete circuit of the lake, looking at houses for sale. Sister has finally committed to selling her house down in the city and moving up here. We eliminated two and suggested she come look at the other three she'd texted about. One eliminated was the one she was most interested in. It was cheapest for a reason -- the house next door was built significantly over the property line, which would be a nightmare to resolve and probably result in an angry neighbor. The other eliminated was a dump with neighbors literally elbow to elbow. She's had more than enough of neighbors that close. I asked Short Friend to give Sister her realtor's contact info, and we'll probably go with her to see these houses' next weekend. I like looking at houses for sale -- we visited 22 in 3 days before offering on this one. Boy, some of those stories.....

Meanwhile, Sister is finishing up re-painting her interior. Then we'll help her move stuff either into a POD or a storage unit up here, and I'll stage her house. I staged ours in Virginia, and three realtors tried to hire me. Danged nice ego massage, but I was coming home to Texas.

The hardest part for her will be the showings -- she works from home as a telephone and online case nurse and doesn't have flexibility to not be there during her assigned work shift. I haven't mentioned how much "fun" it is to live in a staged house, either...

I see the hummers are hovering. Time to refill. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad your sister is coming to live nearby. Selling the house though ranks on the fun scale at the same level as digging up a septic tank. Hope you feel better.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/19 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I'm getting better, but still feel icky. Rudy has been very affectionate, adding all kinds of extra heat I do not need... Czarny is affectionate, but in his everyday way. Mostly he wants me to play.

Another gray day, but we're not likely to get much rainfall. Thunderstorms are forecast for later this week. We moved WLToo's tools around in the garage and parked my F-150 in there. His F-350 doesn't fit. But he's working on an idea for securing moving blankets on his windows, in case the forecasted hail actually hits.

Time for another short nap. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/19 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hope you're able to skip the hail and tornadoes that seem to be part of spring weather.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 158  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.