Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 185  
Prev  |  Next
Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/21 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Czarny rode halfway in a big cage, where he slept between the litter box and the kitty bed. When he woke up, he was disoriented and howled incessantly until we stopped for lunch. We let him out, and he promptly crawled under the bed covers. We let him stay there and he was quiet until we got to the campground. After looking around out the windows, he decided under the covers was a better place to be.

Each time we returned to the RV, he was hiding under the covers. He finally decided it was safe to come out late Saturday night, just in time to hide again yesterday on the trip home. When we got home, it took him a good while to figure out he was home. He kept running in and out of the RV, following me back and forth as I carried stuff into the house. When we settled in for the evening, he immediately went back into his normal routine.

Appears if we just let him hide under the covers, he's fine when moving. When still, he's under the covers until I'm back, and then he's velcroed to me until bedtime, when he hogs most of the middle of the bed so he can be in contact with both humans. He's just not happy with his routine being changed...

Spousal Unit told me the distance we traveled (325 miles one way) was the max he could drive anymore (he'd followed the RV in his Jeep, as we've not gotten the tow package installed yet). That's about the max I can drive the RV, too, considering the painful knot that forms in my upper left back (an anti-sway installation may help). But since that's about as far as we normally want to go in one day, anyway, we'll probably be fine.

Mom turned 96 yesterday. Short Friend and Sister-in-Law have birthdays tomorrow and Wednesday, so we're doing a consolidated birthday party this coming Sunday. Mom asked specifically for the cake my Great-Aunt Bessie created in the 1930s -- a white cake split into multiple layers (Bessie did 8, but I only do 4, with the smaller group to eat it), with lemon pudding (and lemon curd) spread between layers, then lemon buttercream frosting over it all and coated in unsweetened toasted coconut. I don't toast the coconut anymore, since Mom can't chew it that way. It's rich as all get out, takes up a lot of space in the fridge, and I can't have any...

Well, the master electrician is here to replace our main panel. Just waiting on the electric coop to arrive and turn off the power. SU will be here alone while they work, as Mom has a medical appointment this morning. At least it's not going to get over 72 today.

Later, y'all.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Harley, blacker cat

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I recall, Czarny would retreat to the guest bedroom to hide under the covers when you had folks over. He's an undercover cat. Ours head for the bed when we roll down the road. It probably feels safe to them as they can catch our scent on the sheets. One cat we had said forget traveling. He hated every minute of it.

Another loved to get up into the cabover, chill out and watch other campers. She loved camping because it meant no competition from her siblings.

96! Tell your mom best wishes from us and congratulations!

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/21 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Monday was jeans, flannel shirt, jacket. Tuesday was shorts and sandals. Wednesday and today back to jeans, flannel shirt, socks in sneakers. Back to normal temps tomorrow, but with humidity.

Must be spring....

Actually rained a little today, but not enough to put even a slight dent in the drought. Sure smells nice, though.

Czarny went in and out until he noticed he was wet, and now he's staying on his tree. A hummer is sitting under the arbor, only occasionally heading to the feeder. So unusual to see one not flying or nesting. Ah, I see: it's guarding the feeder. Two others flew up and it launched.

Think I'll wander back outside and enjoy the damp aroma. Later, y'all.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/21 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We got a little over an inch of rain last week. Made the wildflowers very happy. I think I'll ask Spousal Unit to not bother mowing the "lawn" around the house until after the wildflowers there have seeded out.

Celebrated Mom, Short Friend and Sister-in-law birthdays yesterday. Nephew One brought brisket, sausages and pulled pork. Short Friend brought (and SU cooked) elk shoulder. Also had apple-cabbage slaw, potato salad, spinach salad, green beans, and bean soup appetizer. Everyone else got to eat German chocolate cake and lemon pudding coconut cake, while I had keto ice cream.

The weather was so gorgeous that we stayed outside on the deck until sundown. The Commemorative Air Force was doing an air show over the lake (and our house), so we even got free entertainment. Nephew did not bring his dogs, much to Czarny's relief. He got to hang out with the people all afternoon.

We have a herd of eight does now, all looking pretty healthy. I expect to see fawns in less than two weeks.

We took Obi-Wander in for his annual safety inspection. SU said he noticed smoke (dust?) coming from a rear wheel well as I drove back up the driveway. We'll have that checked out at the same time we take him in for both those Daimler Freightliner recalls. And then we'll start looking at more short trips around the state. We missed the chicken fried steak festival in Lamesa last weekend, darn it...

My high school class is planning a reunion this August, so that's another trip. Have to see what's going on or worth visiting between there and home, so we can make it a little longer trip.

Meanwhile, Czarny wants to take me for a walk. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounded like a terrific party. The menu was a win. I'm working on the mh trying to install some extra organization items. It's in good shape. Just want to make the interior more functional organization wise.

I'm sure Czarny enjoyed the canine free environment.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/21 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We got over 5" of rain last week, a tornado nearby, lots of lightning, some pea sized hail, wind, and a very disgruntled cat who couldn't go outside for days.

So far today, he's taken me for several walks, one run (short), and up and down the deck stairs. He's having a wonderful time; his human is exhausted.

Saw one doe the other day; hugely pregnant. We should see fawns in another week or so.

Sigh. Czarny's back for more. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Czarny is your personal fitness coach it sounds like. We're getting the rains, tornadoes and hail too. Typical Spring weather. Lots of turkey is out. Spotted a couple of bobcats too.

We're going to try to go to the Longmire Days in WY. It's been postponed this year to Sept. We'll take a few trips before then. Haven't settled the itinerary yet.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/21 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Czarny's taking advantage of the lovely weather to stay outside most of the day. When the VrBnB rental just north of us got lively last evening, he decided it was more than time to come back inside. Sadly, they didn't have a mariachi band, just talked loud, not that it bothered us. If they'd had the mariachi band, I'd have stayed outside a lot longer.

We have some lovely yellow wildflowers that I thought I'd let seed out, until I saw the sticker burrs they form into. Nope, no matter how pretty the flower, that sticker burr is not welcome.

Whoa, time flies when I'm not looking. Got to finish the pound cake before Mom, Sister, Tall and Short Friend get here for lunch/dinner. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/21 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vacation rentals where people just rent out their houses are banned where we are: nuisance noise violations and increased incidents with drugs, drunk driving and shoplifting . I'm glad the county put the kibosh on it. Those rentals were not monitored properly.

The rain is keeping the lawn mower busy with all the overgrowth.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/21 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The rental downhill from us hasn't been an issue at all, so far. I do wish another group with a mariachi band would rent it, though, as I love a good mariachi band, and appreciate the free concert.

Czarny's been having a lovely day, running in and out. We took him for a walk down to the mailbox and back. He walked between us both, where the swoopy birds couldn't get anywhere near him, then he took a nap on the back of the deck chair I was sitting in, and now is asleep on the glider sofa, utterly ignoring the hummingbirds fussing above him. They don't swoop him, so they can be ignored.

Beautiful day, and we're probably within a day or two of the pool being warm enough to start swimming. Finally. I miss not being able to swim, but I'm disinclined to buy a wet suit or a dry suit just to work out in the pool...

Mom needed a new printer, so Brother did the research, Sister took Mom to buy it, and WLToo and I will hook it up tomorrow. Then we'll hang pictures, file boxes of paperwork, and generally help Mom finish unpacking. She's left a bunch of boxes laying about, and I believe Sister's tired of looking at them.

Speaking of boxes, I got rid of several boxes of paperwork in our office, now that WLToo has moved almost all of his model railroad stuff out of the way. When the wind dies down, we'll have a nice blaze in the firepit. Then we'll get back in there and finally clear out the last of his folks' paperwork, by shredding, filing, scanning and uploading to the genealogy records, then mailing the hard copies to his brother's kids.

And then there might be room to actually open up both sewing machine cabinets and start clearing out all that fabric. I'm thinking of making tea cozies and other small items to sell, and maybe get back a fraction of the money I put into all that lovely fabric. Make a few lap quilts to donate to Soldiers' Angels, make a couple of outfits I've always wanted to make just because, and in general have some fabric fun.

But we're still at least four boxes away from that...Sigh.

I see a cat staring at me. Must be time for another walk. Later, y'all.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 185  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.