cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without going into too much painful detail, we had a mishap several week-ends ago. While working with sand bag crews on the Mississippi River, the truck and camper fell into the flood waters as a road collapsed. Because of a number of issues dealing with the wrecker truck, we had to release the camper as the truck was reeled up over the bank. The good news is that the truck is as good as new after a thorough rinsing, inspection of brakes, etc. The bad news is that the camper was thoroughly drowned. A lot of people had far worse trouble than we did, so we consider ourselves lucky. The floods are ongoing as I write.

Our planned trip to Montana in June is called off. heh.

However, I have now convinced my dear Jane that its time to really update the TC. After drying for several days we pulled out the interior. Amazingly the Zolatone paint that I had applied last year is good as new after a cleaning.

Without burdening the TC family overmuch, I'd like to ask some advice other than don't park too near a flood :-).

My DW was overjoyed that I had a plan for the bathroom: a composting toilet developed by Nature's Head http://www.natureshead.net/. Our holding tank was practically unusable and there was no real grey water tank on the 67 Avion. Our plan is to rip out the bathroom and install one of these and converting the blackwater to a greywater tank. Any experience with this?

Finally, the roof. I admit that I have not really done the work I should have. Now, I need to remove the various sealants on the roof and repair it. We are also setting up for a solar installation. Any advice as to this?

Here's hoping I have posted the pictures correctly. And many thanks in advance for your advice.
4,347 REPLIES 4,347

Bedlam

img_1_1702524165064.jpg

 A 1968 IH and Avion found while browsing the web.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nope, we couldn't get it together. D1 and I have signed a blood oath to make it to Muley Point next Spring. We're hoping we'll be joined by some other Avionistas.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Did Miley Point ever happen?
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
That’s pretty cryptic, Cajun. Who censored it?

cajunavion
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!
(message censored)

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
Late September is good. Less rain and fewer folks abroad.

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK. This time looks right. Probably the latter part of September....

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
67, I’m in for Muley Point in September! Final dates TBA. Yoo-hoo!

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rasta, no problem. Jane was worried about the Moki Dugway, but got over it after about half mile when she opened her eyes. Nice view over the side. Once you get to Muley Point, you're sitting on the edge of a sheer cliff with the finest views on the planet. I will say, however, it's the only place that has broken my tie downs as my rig shook rattled and rolled along the Point.

rastaman33609
Explorer
Explorer
67avion wrote:
Yes, I'm planning to make the hegira to Muley Point in September. The time has come.....

67...question...Is Muley Point doable with 2 wheel drive hauling a trailer?...from the pictures I have seen, looks like it might be a little sketchy with my setup,

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, I'm planning to make the hegira to Muley Point in September. The time has come.....

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey gang. long time gone. Just checking back and saw some fresh Avion posts. 67, are you speaking philosophically again or are you heading to Muley Point sometime soon. Did you folks ever get there over the past few years like you'd been talking and hoping?

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
Dang, 67, you captured the place as surely as if you’d taken a photograph!
September would be lovely. Thunderstorms rolling through. Water in the lake warm enough for swimming.
Let’s make a plan. The years are slipping by…

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Garry. It's in Utah. Here is a description: Muley Point is a remote, scenic overlook near Mexican Hat offering stunning panoramic vistas of sweeping desert landscape. Extremely remote, Muley Point is located about 25 miles south of Natural Bridges Monument, accessible via a five-mile dirt and gravel road from SR-261. The road cuts through remote BLM lands until the turn-off just before Moki Dugway. There is a viewpoint about four miles in, but Muley Point is the real showstopper. On a clear day Monument Valley, the Four Corners, Valley of the Gods, and the Goosenecks are visible. Muley Point is a landscape of enormous boulders with cracks up to ten and even twenty feet deep. This is a place where you can sit still and hear the wind blow. The secluded overlook is considered one of the best free camping spots in the region, where overnighters can set up camp on the edge of sheer cliffs. The end of the gravel road enters the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area.

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
Is that the Mulley Point Park in Alabama? I can’t remember the post revealing the location… Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper