Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 422  
Prev  |  Next
D1trout

San Francisco Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roamlab, very nicely planned and executed! Taking advantage of contemporary materials can make a big difference.
I too have a plan for a north/south bed which involves three 1” diameter graphite rods that extend out from the cabover aluminum bed frame 24” towards the rear of the camper. Then a panel of lightweight fiberglass that lives under the bed is put upon it, forming the necessary extension for the sleepers’ lower legs and feet. The cushions for this extension are taken from either side of the main cabover bed. A bit awkward in that one has to make it up every time but straightforward in that the aluminum framework under the cabover creates a rigid structure to support the cantilevered platform.
I haven’t made it up yet. I’ve been so long at the Argo project that I’m content with the East/west sleeping arrangement for the time being.
You guys are great creative thinkers!
Onward!

D1trout

San Francisco Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/19 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For any of you Avionistas interested in using modern materials in your reconstruction (I’m talking to you, 67...), you can do no better than Russel Brown’s video series on using epoxy. Go to Offcenterharbor.com to view them. They are the state of the art.
Onward!

roamlab

Always Moving

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/19 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the complement D1trout. We were very inspired watching your Argo build and the many discussions around it. We found this forum soon after we bought our Avion and it has been an amazing resource. Kudos to whoever it was that posted the first pictures of their interior stripped down the bare aluminum walls. I don't think we would have dared had we not had a map of what to expect!

ROAM LAB
Digital nomads on a perpetual road trip
1970 Avion C11 truck camper (renovation In progress)

roamlab

Always Moving

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/19 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By way found a pretty good match for our front window. It's the molded double panned acrylic with much better seal and insulation. Just put it in a month ago.
Here's the details.

We are also in the search for similar replacement windows for the side. Closest we've found is one with a 5000 mm radius of circumference. Looks like our avion needs a more pronounced curve (especially at the top). Back of the envelope calculation, it looks like a 3600 mm radius of circumference might work. Has anybody found a good modern window match for the sides?

* This post was edited 11/10/19 10:23am by roamlab *

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/19 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the information. I’ll look at your post. Right now we are hunkered down for very cold weather. If we had a few more days of relatively warm weather we could finish the Avion as well as our landscape. It it looks like they will both have to wait.

* This post was edited 11/10/19 02:50pm by 67avion *

cajunavion

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy!
Glad to see everyone is back!
Now when and where is this Avionista Fiasco taking place?

rastaman33609

central florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cajunavion wrote:

Howdy!
Glad to see everyone is back!
Now when and where is this Avionista Fiasco taking place?

Cajunavion...good to hear from you... The when for the Fiasco is set in jello..we are thinking sometime in the month of April...the where is in Terlingua Ranch, in the Big Bend State Park Area.
The Fiasco will begin on my property which is totally off grid,
From there we will be at the mercy of our fearless leader 67avion who will lead the caravan to Mulley Point.. and who knows where else.

Hoping you can make it....

rasta

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/19 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rasta, well said. I went looking for Cajunavion last week in NOLA. Lets hope they show up in Terlingua. Meanwhile my cabover looks like it might take until next Spring - just in time for Muley Point.

D

D1trout

San Francisco Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/19 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Just in time for Muley Point” - I like that positive attitude!
I’d hope you could come to Terlingua as well. The Chihuahuan desert in the spring is exceptionally beautiful - lots of wildflowers, blooming cactus and ocotillo, streams and waterfalls running. Not to be missed!
Onward!

rastaman33609

central florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 03:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D1trout wrote:

“Just in time for Muley Point” - I like that positive attitude!
I’d hope you could come to Terlingua as well. The Chihuahuan desert in the spring is exceptionally beautiful - lots of wildflowers, blooming cactus and ocotillo, streams and waterfalls running. Not to be missed!
Onward!

Yeh Mon ....That's what I am talking about, although I have yet to see the waterfalls ;-0

one Love

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 422  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.