Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 421  
Prev  |  Next
67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/20 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D1, I tried to send you a message - I guess it didn't get through. We hope to leave Illinois on the 15th of April and get in Terlingua, Texas, on the 17th or 18th. In the meantime I'm starting work on the cab over next week. I'll write it up with photos.

Spoiler alert! I couldn't get the Coosa board for less than the ransom for the Ayatollah Khomeini. Not only is it expensive but the freight charges are almost more than the board. So.....hold on.....it's marine plywood.

If anyone is interested in hanging out with the Avionistas, send a note to one of us - probably Rastaman - and find out where we'll be for the caravan to Muley Point after Terlingua.

D1trout

San Francisco Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/20 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

67, thanks for the update. I too have pinned down travel dates. We will leave SF Bay Area Monday, April 20. Expect to arrive Big Bend 25 or so. We’ll plan to spend about 5 days there. Lots of old haunts to revisit. Then head back west to arrive home about the 3rd or 4th of May. I go back to Flagstaff for Overland Expo May 15-16-17.
Regarding the Muley Point excursion, I propose that we declare Muley Point a “state of mind” as much as an actual place on the map, and that, in this instance, it is wherever three or more Avionistas are gathered together, as in the Chihuahuan desert at sunset on a mild spring evening and raise our glasses in salute to that elusive place and that state of mind.

I feel your pain around Coosa board. Marine plywood will be a fine alternative. Just coat it well with epoxy before you install it and all will be well.

Hot dog! We’re headed to the desert!

D1trout

San Francisco Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

67, I thought I had posted this info last weekend but it appears not to have gotten on.
I recently bought two sheets of 1/2” Baltic birch plywood, exterior glued marine grade, beautiful stuff at $50 per 8x10 sheet. It would be very suitable for your cabover project. Well coated with epoxy, of course.
So sorry our meet up has been delayed... we’re hunkered down.

Avion68

Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Greetings, first post.

Purchased a 68Avion layout C-11, with kitchen on the right. Always liked the look of the aluminum curves.

Live in Alaska. Have an aged NorthernLite sink only RV, but wanted something with a bathroom, and not so heavy. Had a search on CL for several years, finally came across one that look ok on the outside, sitting inside a garage on a floor of someone about to move south in in some disassembly.

Bottom skirt and tanks removed. Interior removed all but bathroom walls. Bathroom floor removed, and rot on the rear left. Out side looked fine. After bringing it back on a trailer. Braced it and started looking around. Removed all of the loose stuff. Missing stove and ref. Have orig water heater and propane. Finding a few signs of water in corners, kept uncovering stuff. Finding so much of wood is rotted at the edges, kept uncovering.

Went up top, found a couple long strips of ferrous strapping, going under a 12 foot patch screwed down. Looked like bunch of leaks existing and probable. Began scraping off the sealant, realized, too much to seal, removed the patch, and steel. I'm reading this forum, from time to time and contemplating what to do.

Decide on cassette toilet, to remove a black tank from the plan which is already missing. No need for a waste vent. Won't likely ever keep a propane heater, will switch to a heat pump running on batteries, but not ceiling mounted, so will eliminate that hole. Eliminate heater vent. Missing Ref, will be converted to electric also, so Ref vent will go also. The only two vents up top are roof vents which I think I'll for go freeing up the entire roof for solar. This also simplifies aluminum replacement, use one sheet, front to back.

While I like the historic look, some things I will not need, and am willing to package and sell to another restorer. Might need some stuff too. Please suggest historic looking oven range. If someone needs the fiberglass toilet base and toilet. Two ceiling vents. both are twin screw, one with fan. Not removed yet, will be the ref vent. The wall heater is too likely large for anyone, but might have parts if your still using. I'll update more tonight. I've read so many pages of this thread, but not all. Will post more ideas tonight. Hoping for some guidance.
Thanks

Avion68

Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/20 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More time. Add on for anyone reading, or if they have suggestions.

My plan is to remove my truck bed and place this directly on the frame. This will remove the wooden wings and my plan is to replace and widen the floor with thick steel studs and rebuild the walls using the same taper at the tail and roll it underneath the studs. This will allow full height kitchen cabinets on the right along with floor to counter fridge. On the left side, this will allow fore aft seating for four with the ever so common drop table to bed configuration. Initial measurements indicate a 4foot piece may fill lower section to the bed height in one piece.

Questions. Matching aluminum, what's good or the best. Can the best be found 5ft wide? or I've read 2024 4' wide, but I recall that as bright. Any treatments to match, or will it need to be shined up to match?

flyte63

Buffalo, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/20 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome Avion68, glad to see another Avion truck camper project starting up! I’m pretty much just starting myself, but others here should have some good advice for you. I think most of us have found that the wood is the problem on most of these. I’m in the process right now of planning to replace the entire main floor over the next month or two.

Posting photos is tricky on this forum these days, but it would be great to see some as you get going!

-Don

http://flyte63.blogspot.com

cajunavion

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/20 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy!
If y’all are going to Terlingua (when we can), why not go to the Big Chili Cookoff? How does one enter?

rastaman33609

central florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/20 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cajunavion wrote:

Howdy!
If y’all are going to Terlingua (when we can), why not go to the Big Chili Cookoff? How does one enter?

I think it is in november, and from what I hear from the locals, it is an occasion to avoid. I think I am a little too old for that type of partying :-)

Its getting pretty hot out there now,,,I think the next window of opportunity for me and decent weather is going to be in September.

roamlab

Always Moving

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/20 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all!

It's been a while since I've checked in so I'm playing catch up. Glad to see some new members. Cant wait to see how your builds go!

Avion68 wrote:

Questions. Matching aluminum, what's good or the best. Can the best be found 5ft wide? or I've read 2024 4' wide, but I recall that as bright. Any treatments to match, or will it need to be shined up to match?

Matching is a little complicated because the aluminum does seem to change a bit based on sun exposure. We have found that the sheet that we ordered for patching and other work matches very well, though it is a little noticeable at certain angles. That said: when we removed the roof sealant that a previous owner had applied, we found that that aluminum was a near perfect match to our new material. So, a bit of weathering and it should all match up.

I did go into detail on what we ordered and why in a blog post if anyone is interested. It's easier than trying the embed pictures in the forum: https://roamlab.com/buying-aluminum-sheet/

ROAM LAB
Digital nomads on a perpetual road trip
1970 Avion C11 truck camper (renovation In progress)

Givrdad

BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/20 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,
I just bought a 1968 Avion C10 and intend to restore it to original if I can find the parts.
I have owned and restored and camped in many vintage airstreams as a hobby over the years, but have always wanted one of these truck campers. so here we go!

Lots of the original stuff is there, it has all its windows, cabinets, fridge, stove, heater, hot water tank and even the original cushions.

It is missing the bathroom (all of it, including the door), water and holding tanks, interior lights, and I'm sure a bunch of things that I don't even know what they are yet since they are missing.

Advice and parts are greatly appreciated, especially all that bathroom stuff!

Randy

1968 Avion C10 on 1973 Dodge D200

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 421  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.