Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 426  
Prev  |  Next
flyte63

Buffalo, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have any of you fellow Avion C-10 or C-11 owners had your campers on scale to get an actual weight? Looking around the internet I see numbers ranging from 1800lbs to 3000lbs but it’s hard to know what’s real. Obviously there will differences between the 10’s and 11’s and dry vs. loaded with full tanks, but any verified numbers?

http://flyte63.blogspot.com

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never weighed my C 11 for dry weight . My wet weight ready to camp includes 20 gal fresh water tank plus 14 gals in containers , 2 T125 6v batteries , Honda 2000ie , 3 camp chairs , equipment tub with extension cords ,hoses, etc. etc . , full fridge , other food , cloths , bedding , small hand tool box , 12v compressor plus personal items . Ready to camp weight is 3300# . The brochures I have list the dry weights of C 10 = 1800# , C11 = 2200#

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

BlackFlagForge

Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Ticki, glad you're still around.

I think this is somehow my first post after registering in 2012 lol. Been following this thread for a long time and after 8 years of procrastination my 69 C11 rebuild is well underway. I'm just a mile or so from a Loves but my rig is empty at the moment. As soon as I've got things rebuilt I'll update a C11 dry weight with rebuilt woodwork: floor, wings and bed. I decided to go 1/2" all around ply/foam/ply so I'll be over standard weight for sure.

I'll start an imgur album in a bit and start trying to remember to upload.

D1trout

San Francisco Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flyte63, Argo, the all aluminum camper, which started life as a stock C-11, weighs 2000 pounds completely built out. This is a verified number from a truck scale near the shop.
The exterior shell, with the new aluminum frame completed, weighed 1000 pounds.
Then the completed interior, with all the cooking, living, electrics, bath, tanks, and so forth added another 1000 pounds. This is with a full propane tank at 9 gallons/30 pounds, but without the water tanks - 40+ gallons - full.
You can see pics of this rig in earlier posts. I believe it has come out very close to the original Avion weight. Wet plywood gets really heavy!
Hope this helps.

BlackFlagForge

Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've noticed my foam is holding water too! It's not a ton but as I remove different areas that had leaks I notice the seepage. Everything is weight creeping in. Hoping that modern closed cell wont be as prone to this issue.

flyte63

Buffalo, NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks tickie and D1, it’s good to hear some verified weights. We’ve been using 3000lbs as our estimated ready to camp weight and it sounds like it might be fairly valid max working number for our C-10.

With the mention of old brochures I hunted through a 1965 one that came with our C-10, it states 1769lbs for the C-10 and 1640 for the 8 1/2 (unicorn). Our camper is an early one (#000045) with fiberglass insulation and not the foam insulation that is in most which may explain the slightly lower weight in the early brochure.

The idea that foam insulation can gain significant weight from leaks is pretty real. I used to race small one design sailboats with similar foam inside their hulls. We found that hulls could weigh between 120lbs and 180lbs, a 60lb difference in 14’ boats that came out of the same mold - and yes the heavy ones were always damp inside.

BlackFlagForge

Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm curious how the old skin and walls held up without foam. I noticed so much more rigidity before I started cleaning mine out.

Never knew about the 8.5 AVION, very cool.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

flyte63 wrote:

Thanks tickie and D1, it’s good to hear some verified weights. We’ve been using 3000lbs as our estimated ready to camp weight and it sounds like it might be fairly valid max working number for our C-10.

With the mention of old brochures I hunted through a 1965 one that came with our C-10, it states 1769lbs for the C-10 and 1640 for the 8 1/2 (unicorn). Our camper is an early one (#000045) with fiberglass insulation and not the foam insulation that is in most which may explain the slightly lower weight in the early brochure.

The idea that foam insulation can gain significant weight from leaks is pretty real. I used to race small one design sailboats with similar foam inside their hulls. We found that hulls could weigh between 120lbs and 180lbs, a 60lb difference in 14’ boats that came out of the same mold - and yes the heavy ones were always damp inside.

Well I learned something new . I thought all Avion TC' s had foam insulation . After some searching apparently in only started in the 66 model year for all Avions including trailers . There have been some question in the past by owners trying to determine whether there unit was a 65 or a 66 . It seems the type of insulation would answer the question . After 50 years I found the foam insulation in good condition , I would not hesitate to use it instead of fiber glass . What was used was reportedly urethane foam witch should not hold water ( closed cell ) .

BlackFlagForge

Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The quality of foam and it's application varies it seems from observing different users photos. The foam in the nose of my unit seems like it was poorly mixed or the end of the tanks. It's gritty and had smaller particles/formations. I'll snag some photos today.

D1trout

San Francisco Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All, for what it’s worth, when I removed the inner skin on Argo, I found the spray-in foam dry and in decent condition. I stripped all the old foam out to upgrade the insulation to polyisocyanurate, the highest R value material currently available, and to rewire the rig to a marine standard.
I found plenty of wet in the plywood - wet and rotten. The wet was because the nice fellow I bought Argo from had gone to great lengths to have the rig looking clean for my visit as a potential buyer. He’d taken it to a big truck wash and they had hosed it hard all over. This revealed lots of leaks!
My point is that the spray-in from the factory was well-done and dry.
Incidentally, I reinsulated by gluing 1/2” sheets of polyiso onto the inner skin, building up three layers. Then I sprayed Dow Froth-PAC polyurethane foam over the whole inner surface to seal things up. So far no leaks... if I were doing it again, I’d skip the polyiso sheets and just spray fresh foam to a 1 1/2” thickness. It’s a less daunting task than it seemed at the time.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 426  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.