Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 422  
Prev  |  Next
D1trout

San Francisco Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here’s your chance to pick up an authentic ceiling fixture out of the C11 that became Argo...
Perfect if you’re doing a old school restoration. Free to a good home. You just pay postage. [image]
[image]
[image]
Send a PM if you’re interested.

PolCat-76-Avion

De Pere, Wis

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not really a truck camper here but I can't find many Avion sites for the c class campers. So I'll just check in and say Hi to all my Avionistas as you say.
Say hello to "Lavern".

[image]

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, "Round Up at Muley Point" instead of the UAE. I can relate to that. Lets set our hats for mid April in Terlingua then a convoy to Muley Point. Rasta, are you on board?

Whoa! Whats up with the Polcat '76 Avion? Cousin once removed? More photos please.

D

PolCat-76-Avion

De Pere, Wis

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We got it about 2 months ago. Heading out again on Friday. 22 footer. First year and says its a prototype. 440 engine.

[image]

[image]

Only problem I can't find a fix for is a broken window. The window is solid though.

[image]

rastaman33609

central florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

67avion...yeh mon...no problem....at the moment april looks good, it is actually a great time to visit the high desert.

D1trout

San Francisco Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PolCat, I like that rig! I wonder if it ever got beyond the prototype stage? Cayo made the Motorvator
In the early 70s which was a full Class C and worth buying just for the name...
67, mid-April sounds perfect. Let’s get as many Avionistas as possible in on this. It could be in two sections: the Terlingua trip or the Muley Point trip, or the full catastrophe! It’s a mere 1200 miles from my place to Terlingua. Compared to 1600 from Florida, ain’t nothing to it! I’m in for the whole catastrophe!
We’ve got a plan. Onward!

PolCat-76-Avion

De Pere, Wis

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

67avion wrote:

OK, "Round Up at Muley Point" instead of the UAE. I can relate to that. Lets set our hats for mid April in Terlingua then a convoy to Muley Point. Rasta, are you on board?

Whoa! Whats up with the Polcat '76 Avion? Cousin once removed? More photos please.

D

A "brother from a different mother".

D1trout

San Francisco Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PolCat, now I see that the main body is aluminum, riveted in the style of the Avion truck campers and trailers while the cabover sleeping compartment is a molded fiberglass unit. So your rig is kind of the missing link between the old style C series truck campers and the all fiberglass rigs that Fleetwood began producing soon after they bought Avion.
Interesting that Cayo, after selling Avion, produced a few years of aluminum models before expiring completely. Compare this rig to the Motorvator
Isn’t there a bit of Avion history recalled on this forum, somewhere back in the 411 pages...?
[image]
I have read in the Cayo literature that this camper was designed so one could remove it from the van chassis relatively easily and put on a new van chassis, presumably after the old van had been worn out.

PolCat-76-Avion

De Pere, Wis

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D1trout wrote:

PolCat, I like that rig! I wonder if it ever got beyond the prototype stage? Cayo made the Motorvator
In the early 70s which was a full Class C and worth buying just for the name...
67, mid-April sounds perfect. Let’s get as many Avionistas as possible in on this. It could be in two sections: the Terlingua trip or the Muley Point trip, or the full catastrophe! It’s a mere 1200 miles from my place to Terlingua. Compared to 1600 from Florida, ain’t nothing to it! I’m in for the whole catastrophe!
We’ve got a plan. Onward!

They were made for 3 years 76, 77, 78. That Cayo Motorvator looks cool.

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/19 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Polcat, you are an official member of the Avionista caravan. Who knew that we'd turn up a sibling like this? Send along as much info as possible. If its printed material it has to be large enough to read easily or be converted into a PDF that we can download. I've never heard of, much less seen, an Avion Mini.

I once was driving through a small town in Texas. While stopped at a light a Motovator pulled up across from me. I saw him. He saw me. Both of our mouths dropped. We waved. Then the light changed.

Never seen one again. I think I can count on the Avionista student body to agree that if a Motovator shows up in Terlingua it gets to lead the procession. And the Mini will have a place of honor alongside Argo. The jury is out on Rasta's rebuild that he carries on a trailer. I'm thinking Rasta needs to carry his motorbikes. I'm bringing my beloved Suzuki Samurai, Sweet Jane and Hula the Wonder Dog in my stock 1967 Avion.

Here's a pic from a couple of weeks ago at Capitol Basin outside of Ouray, Colorado. We're at 11,400' and about to summit. But my Samurai is really choking at this point. We didn't make it to 12,100', but it was a glorious trail. The roads around Muley Point look interesting and worth running as part of the Avion catastrophe. I'm envisioning an encampment of Avions in the background while on the desert roads there is Rasta on his bike and us in the Samurai looking like a scene from Mad Max.

[image]

* This post was edited 09/19/19 10:33am by 67avion *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 422  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.