Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 159  
Prev  |  Next
quasimatter

East Bay, SF, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/20 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

Alright! Welcome quasimatter to the Forum and the Former Rental Owners Club. I will up that number,you will officially be #131 [image]

Thanks for the detailed write up and the observations,this will be very helpful to others that are looking to be owners of a Former Rental RV.

This "Pre-refurbished" unit is something new I am seeing and your details of what to look for and have fixed is also very helpful. If I might can I ask which location did you purchase from?

So If I get this right your unit is all White with no decals. Is there any shadowing from the removal of the decals? I know that the refurbished ones are repainted.

As far as the the installation of the of the awning I would have them do it,the price seems to be very competitive and most likely cheaper than other options. In my case having them do it was $200 cheaper than I could find elsewhere.

Again welcome and we will be looking forward to your updates on any mods that you make.

Thanks for quick reply. OK - will look into getting the Awning. On our previous pop-up trailer we hardly ever used awnings (mostly because it was a pain to zip back in) so I am wondering if it would be good investment in this case. How easy are they to open/close? (I understand it is manual but still).

To answer your questions - Newark, CA location and yes there is a barely noticeable shadow. And good point - I missed to list that as one more thing you miss getting pre-refurbished (also, I was told that 1 month and 3 month warranty only comes with refurbished models - so that is another benefit of refurbished model I missed to list).

Another quick question: Get roadside assistance from Progressive (about $25 a year) or Good Sam (about $99/year after first year special of $49 now)?

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/20 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

quasimatter wrote:

Thanks for quick reply. OK - will look into getting the Awning. On our previous pop-up trailer we hardly ever used awnings (mostly because it was a pain to zip back in) so I am wondering if it would be good investment in this case. How easy are they to open/close? (I understand it is manual but still).

To answer your questions - Newark, CA location and yes there is a barely noticeable shadow. And good point - I missed to list that as one more thing you miss getting pre-refurbished (also, I was told that 1 month and 3 month warranty only comes with refurbished models - so that is another benefit of refurbished model I missed to list).

Another quick question: Get roadside assistance from Progressive (about $25 a year) or Good Sam (about $99/year after first year special of $49 now)?

I found that the awning was good for me and I use it often,it is not all that hard to use and deploy and retract,most times I do it myself.

There are many YouTube videos on it This One is just one example. It is like the one I have and most likely what will be offered.

That warranty that they give at purchase of a refurbished one is not very long,it use to be 1 Year or 12000 miles, I think that is why the push very hard to get the extended one,and if it saved you money and you are handy it may be the better deal for the way you went.

As for the roadside assistance, that is up to you,a lot of people do go with Good Sam with varying results.They do have a Sub Topic here on the Forum where you can get pretty quick answers.

Me I just added it to my AAA roadside for an extra $36 per year. I have had AAA for a looong time and all the times that I have used it the service was exceptional.

If there any mods you want to do just ask,there are many that others have done and I have archived,like the window in the door or suspension up grades,if not here just PM me.

Good luck with this all and have a great camping season,nice thing about here in CA it is year round!

* This post was edited 11/15/20 02:55pm by IAMICHABOD *

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

SJ-Chris

San Jose, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/20 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Earlier this year (pre-Covid) I purchased two Cruise America refurbished Majestic 28a Class C RVs. I was pleased with the experience. Prior to purchasing, I completed a very thorough inspection and came up with a list of items I wanted them to fix. They fixed most of the items which was nice.

I cleaned them up (they were already in good shape) and then did the following...
- Added wireless backup camera
- Added 3 USB charging ports (over couch, over dinette, over rear bed)
- Added a 2nd battery (in 2nd from rear on driver's side small bay)
- Added a TV/DVD player
- Added a Aili battery monitor
- Will be adding solar soon...

I let family and friends use them (...that's the exact reason I got them, so no "warnings" needed). I specifically wanted some "simple" RVs that are relatively idiot proof. That's what attracted me to the Cruise America models. After about 9 months of use I have been quite pleased. They have each been out about 15 times. I've taken them a few times each myself. I've towed my boat a couple times without any issues.

There have been some issues that I would put in the "regular" RV owner catagory. I changed all the tires on one of the units just because I want to make sure they are in great shape and they were starting to look questionable. One of them did require a steering gear box to be replaced (~$800). But in general, I would say things have been holding up pretty good so far.

One thing I'm wondering about....The exterior siding and decals. One of the nice things about the Cruise America refurbished units is that they repaint, reseal, and put on all new decals, so basically they look almost brand new on the outside. I'm wondering about the quality of their work and whether or not it is done as cheaply as possible and after just a few years I'll start to see the deterioration. I have already noticed a few things like the black trim around the windows seems to be chipping off a bit in some places. For those of you who have had their Cruise America units for 3 years or more, can you comment on how the exteriors have held up? Decals still good?

Thanks! I have found this thread (and the forums in general) to be invaluable!

-Chris

San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

cencerrita

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/20 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SJ-Chris wrote:

Earlier this year (pre-Covid) I purchased two Cruise America refurbished Majestic 28a Class C RVs. I was pleased with the experience. Prior to purchasing, I completed a very thorough inspection and came up with a list of items I wanted them to fix. They fixed most of the items which was nice.

I cleaned them up (they were already in good shape) and then did the following...
- Added wireless backup camera
- Added a TV/DVD player
- Will be adding solar soon...

I let family and friends use them (...that's the exact reason I got them, so no "warnings" needed). I specifically wanted some "simple" RVs that are relatively idiot proof. That's what attracted me to the Cruise America models. After about 9 months of use I have been quite pleased. They have each been out about 15 times. I've taken them a few times each myself. I've towed my boat a couple times without any issues.

There have been some issues that I would put in the "regular" RV owner catagory. I changed all the tires on one of the units just because I want to make sure they are in great shape and they were starting to look questionable. One of them did require a steering gear box to be replaced (~$800). But in general, I would say things have been holding up pretty good so far.

One thing I'm wondering about....The exterior siding and decals. One of the nice things about the Cruise America refurbished units is that they repaint, reseal, and put on all new decals, so basically they look almost brand new on the outside. I'm wondering about the quality of their work and whether or not it is done as cheaply as possible and after just a few years I'll start to see the deterioration. I have already noticed a few things like the black trim around the windows seems to be chipping off a bit in some places. For those of you who have had their Cruise America units for 3 years or more, can you comment on how the exteriors have held up? Decals still good?

Thanks! I have found this thread (and the forums in general) to be invaluable!

-Chris

Hi
After 4 years the paint job and decals were still good [emoticon] The only problem i found was in a couple of places the end of a decal was lifting about 1/4 inch and i just neatly cut it off - this was near the beginning so adhesion was never good on the ends. Black around the windows was also not a problem. The refurbishment was done in Mesa.
The only external items i did not like were the original items from Ford! Front bumper looking through the gap to the engine compartment rust on the inside which i cleaned and coated and stayed black afterwards. Various other areas of the Ford chassis you could see from "outside" i also treated and then went underneath and anywhere I spotted rust i used cans of rustoleum spray and it has stayed good [emoticon] Plenty of room to crawl underneath and do these jobs.

www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. Seeour web site for US travels www.cencerrita.com

Booner

Boonville, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/20 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Floridastorm-----

You are most welcomed.
As I said, I have no complaints with my CA purchase.
I hope you enjoy yours just as much
-Booner

---Quasimatter
Please let us me know if you get the awning. I ordered one back in June, when I pick up my unit in late September the awning hadn't come in yet, so I'll have to go back to Colorado in the spring to get it. So if you have one installed when you get your unit, I'll have another talk with CA about mine. To have on installed locally will cost quite a bit more than the $900 I paid CA.

regarding insurance.-- I called Good Sam for a quote and they wanted something like $1200/year. I then called Progressive (who I have for my car insurance) and they were around $400/year, so I went with them. Both have "roadside assistance." I later joined the Good Sam club for the gas and discounts they offer at Camper World and also got roadside assistance with the Good Sam Club. I think joining their club cost me around %25-$30/year.

--Booner

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/20 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SJ-Chris,Welcome to the Former Rental Owners Club,I may have to give you 2 numbers [emoticon] For now you will be #132

You are only the second one that I know of that owns more than one, What a good guy to to help out Family and Friends.

Thanks for the write up on your mods,this may inspire others.Pictures of them would be nice too.

Have a great camping season with Family and Friends.

quasimatter

East Bay, SF, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SJ-Chris wrote:

- Added a TV/DVD player

-Chris

Hi Chris - looks like we are within few miles of each other!

I want to make the above mods myself.. Could you please share links to what you bought (and installation instructions if you can).

Meanwhile - I am half way to Solar installation: I got the following

Victron MPPT controller

Folding Solar Panels

For backup camera - I went for wired version which also serves as dash cam - not installed yet (since I need extra length cable which I have ordered).

VanTop Dashcam ($59.99 at VanTop website)

Also got the following - which is actually pretty awesome:
Front Privacy Screen/Shade

More later..

quasimatter

East Bay, SF, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/20 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Booner wrote:

---Quasimatter
Please let us me know if you get the awning. I ordered one back in June, when I pick up my unit in late September the awning hadn't come in yet, so I'll have to go back to Colorado in the spring to get it. So if you have one installed when you get your unit, I'll have another talk with CA about mine. To have on installed locally will cost quite a bit more than the $900 I paid CA.

regarding insurance.-- I called Good Sam for a quote and they wanted something like $1200/year. I then called Progressive (who I have for my car insurance) and they were around $400/year, so I went with them. Both have "roadside assistance." I later joined the Good Sam club for the gas and discounts they offer at Camper World and also got roadside assistance with the Good Sam Club. I think joining their club cost me around %25-$30/year.

--Booner

Booner (Corrected [emoticon]) - I got the RV already - I was told the same thing that if I want Awning they will take $995 payment over phone and order it - it will arrive in 2-3 weeks and then they will call me back for installation.

Regarding insurance - I went with progressive and also got their roadside assistance (added $26 to total premium) - do you think $100 Good Sam Roadside assistance is that much better than Progressive?

* This post was edited 11/18/20 01:08am by quasimatter *

Booner

Boonville, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/20 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

quasimatter wrote:

Booner wrote:

---Quasimatter

--Booner

Boomer - I got the RV already - I was told the same thing that if I want Awning they will take $995 payment over phone and order it - it will arrive in 2-3 weeks and then they will call me back for installation.

Regarding insurance - I went with progressive and also got their roadside assistance (added $26 to total premium) - do you think $100 Good Sam Roadside assistance is that much better than Progressive?

I seriously doubt the Good Sam Club carries their own insurance, so if we buy from them they will farm it out to another party, with them taking their cut, so they charge more. Like I said though, if you join the Good Sam Club you get discounts at Camper World, some camping sites, and gas discounts at Loves truck stops. I think I paid around $30 for a yearly membership--which includes roadside assistance, so I'm doubly covered.

Interesting about what they told you about the awning. I guess with RV sales up 30-40% they're a little short on some supplies. I have a signed paper from my salesman that I paid for but didn't receive an awning but I think I'll call CA to remind them of the fact.

And BTW- my handle is Booner, not Boomer. MY first name is Dan and I'm from Boonville, Mo so I've had "Booner as a nickname for years. Anyone who called themselves Boomer probably served on a nuclear sub. I was in the artillery.

I wish you the best of luck with your motorhome

quasimatter

East Bay, SF, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/20 01:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Booner wrote:

I think I paid around $30 for a yearly membership--which includes roadside assistance, so I'm doubly covered.

OK - I am confused now - I thought $30 a year membership does NOT cover roadside assistance. I thought you had to buy $99/year Roadside Assistance policy separately (first year sale price is $49 right now).

If $30 membership also includes roadside assistance - that is an awesome deal.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 159  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.