Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 159  
Prev  |  Next
SJ-Chris

San Jose, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/20 02:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Booner wrote:

MtnBikeMarty wrote:

quasimatter wrote:

Thanks Chris for the above answers - Makes sense - I will plan on getting 2 identical batteries.

Another quick question for Majestic 28A owners, What is the compartment in front of Master Bed - It is solid metal box with metal cover screwed on with special pin-in Hex screws. I opened it up and voila - there is nothing in there. Was it supposed to house something? Attaching a picture.

[image]

As you can see - there is another metal box inside with sides open (nothing inside that either). Maybe it used to house something which was removed (or an option that was not installed)? It looks a bit odd being right at the foot of the bed and also just being big metal plate which does not match other flooring.

PS: Is there a forum anywhere that is specific to Majestic (or even 28A)?

I remember asking my CA salesman, and he said something about it was an access panel to the transmission, maybe the differential. I just took it at that and never opened it up. Maybe someone else has better information. MtnBikeMarty

I don't know if that access hatch is the same in my unit (23A) as your larger unit, but I was told it was an access panel for the fuel pump.

Enjoy your new toy!
Booner

I was told also that it is access to the fuel pump in the event it needs to be changed. Made me think, "Gee, how often does the fuel pump have to go out such that they design a floor panel like that?"...

-Chris

San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/20 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon] The subject comes up quite often here On The Forum

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

TwistedGray

Monterey Bay, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/20 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SJ-Chris wrote:

Booner wrote:

MtnBikeMarty wrote:

quasimatter wrote:

Thanks Chris for the above answers - Makes sense - I will plan on getting 2 identical batteries.

Another quick question for Majestic 28A owners, What is the compartment in front of Master Bed - It is solid metal box with metal cover screwed on with special pin-in Hex screws. I opened it up and voila - there is nothing in there. Was it supposed to house something? Attaching a picture.

[image]

As you can see - there is another metal box inside with sides open (nothing inside that either). Maybe it used to house something which was removed (or an option that was not installed)? It looks a bit odd being right at the foot of the bed and also just being big metal plate which does not match other flooring.

PS: Is there a forum anywhere that is specific to Majestic (or even 28A)?

I remember asking my CA salesman, and he said something about it was an access panel to the transmission, maybe the differential. I just took it at that and never opened it up. Maybe someone else has better information. MtnBikeMarty

I don't know if that access hatch is the same in my unit (23A) as your larger unit, but I was told it was an access panel for the fuel pump.

Enjoy your new toy!
Booner

I was told also that it is access to the fuel pump in the event it needs to be changed. Made me think, "Gee, how often does the fuel pump have to go out such that they design a floor panel like that?"...

-Chris

+1

quasimatter

East Bay, SF, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/20 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

Looking at the picture there seems to be screws in the lower plate,maybe unscrew them and look under it.Inquiring minds want to know...[emoticon]

I tried already - couple of screws refused to budge and head got damaged. Also the plate it holds seem to be sealed underneath with some black rubber like material - so decided to leave it as it is. But looks like on should be able to store something in there!

quasimatter

East Bay, SF, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/20 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Booner wrote:

Got Dust?

Since I purchased my former rental, I spend a lot of time on this and other forums trying to learn from others; what problems they have and how they fixed them. I've come to the conclusion that I did the right thing in buying my first RV from CA. Reading the problems buyers have had with their "factory new" motorhomes, people who've spent 3 times what I spent and still have major issues with their new motorhome, only confirms that my decision was the right one.

Thanks for the details and ideas to seal the unit. I also see a big opening next to tire well for the black tank connector (I can see two heating ducts going through same space - one for bedroom and one for bathroom). Would look into sealing that.

I also think it was a good idea to buy CA rental - despite miles, it seems like a solid unit designed in such a way that not much would break. BTW - what are the other forums you recommend?

quasimatter

East Bay, SF, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/20 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

[emoticon] The subject comes up quite often here On The Forum

WOW - thanks for the link. Some of the horror stories about Fuel Pump issues with E-450s and how expensive it is to getting it replaced (needing to drop the tank etc). If that metal plate/housing indeed to be able to access fuel pump (which seems to go bad regularly on Ford E-450s based on forum links), and given the location of fuel tank right below it - I am 99% sure not that plate opens up over the fuel tank; that would be awesome.

It would make a difference between $1500 job or buying a pump yourself for under $100 and replacing it through that opening! My respect for CA Majestic build has gone higher after reading this. Despite the ugly black plate (we put a rug over it anyway) - reading from other RV owners wanting to cut up the floor to be able to access the fuel pump from the top make me think this is a neat idea and a great foresight of the builder.

socal77

Redlands, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/20 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Gang,

I'm up in Pismo with my 2009 28A for a couple days. Went to turn on the heater tonight and will not turn on. I think I hear a "click" but the blower doesn't kick on. My propane indicator says 2/3 full and the stove burners work fine. Any troubleshooting suggestions?

* This post was edited 12/21/20 10:03pm by socal77 *

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/20 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

socal77 wrote:

Hi Gang,

I'm up in Pismo with my 2009 28A for a couple days. Went to turn on the heater tonight and will not turn on. I think I hear a "click" but the blower doesn't kick on. My propane indicator says 2/3 full and the stove burners work fine. Any troubleshooting suggestions?

I just saw your post,as you know I don't have the same RV but I would first check and see if your batteries are up and they have a good connection to the furnace,the blower runs on 12 volt.

My next suggestion would be to post this in the Tech Section and ask there,include your make and model of the furnace,I am sure someone will come along with some help.

Good Luck and I hope the rest of the trip will go well.

cencerrita

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/20 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

socal77 wrote:

Hi Gang,

I just saw your post,as you know I don't have the same RV but I would first check and see if your batteries are up and they have a good connection to the furnace,the blower runs on 12 volt.

My next suggestion would be to post this in the Tech Section and ask there,include your make and model of the furnace,I am sure someone will come along with some help.

Good Luck and I hope the rest of the trip will go well.

Definitly check battery power. I know in the past if overnight whilst boondocking and the power dropped before the sun came up (11.7V) the fridge used to click and then not start.

www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. Seeour web site for US travels www.cencerrita.com

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/20 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Majestic31 wrote:

I purchased a four winds Majestic 2011 28a last year, 120.000 miles on it I had to replace all of the tires, all new Bilstein shocks.rear camera,TV mount, 3 Vent covers, Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer Best addition so far, Sumo Springs bump stops Rear HEAVY DUTY, Front regular, Wheel alignment Looking to buy Sumo springs heavy duty rear fake air bag to try to stop the heavy bang in rear going over bumps, water empty rv unloaded still bangs going over bumps Sumo bump stops helped 50%,New passenger side mirror,Water filter system, Screen door bar, All new valve stems,

Wow ... why did you need to do all of that on a 2011??

By the way, I stopped the banging in the rear of our small (24ft) Class C on it's overkill E450 Ford chassis by having installed in just the rear two of Koni's (expensive) Frequency Selective Damping shocks. We have a much, much better ride due to the FSD shocks' light damping on potholes and road surface cracks. (These shocks switch to stiff heavy damping in other situations.)

The ride in the front has always been good with the E450 coil springs. Our chassis has always sat level regardless of how we load it. The front suspension shocks and steering shock are still original OEM after around 86K miles on the chassis. The E450 chassis also came stock with both front and rear anti-sway bars.

Since I first started looking for a Class C before we bought ours new in 2006, I wanted a chassis rated for a much higher loading than what the coach of a small Class C would require, and it has paid off. Unfortunately the combination of a chassis rated for considerably more weight than what is actually needed for a Class C coach is becoming very difficult to find nowadays. However, I think that for sure both Coach House and Lazy Daze still offer 22-24 ft. Class C motorhomes based on the Ford E450 cutaway chassis with the new V8 engine. This approach kindof goes along with ... "if you want a tool to be reliable and last a long time, buy a heavy duty one but use it in a light duty way".

* This post was edited 12/24/20 11:41am by pnichols *

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 159  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.