Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 159  
Prev  |  Next
CwglIndn

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/21 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

So far the information and opinions on the extended insurance have been straightforward and honest.

So I will add this,of the more than 130 members here on this thread there have been no reports of any CA units that have had an engine,transmission or generator failure.

I did find on 2 occasions that El Monte RV did honor their warranty This One and Here
They both happened in the Warranty period that was given to them when they bought the unit,not an extended warranty.

FWIW, my sales contact at El Monte told me, when I asked about drive train extended warranties, that they used to offer them, through the same company that CA uses. The reason they stopped, and just went with offering their own 12/12 power train warranty, is that he wasn't aware of any case in which the extended warranty company actually paid on a claim - which, of course, made for unhappy customers.

Just a reminder, I did report a generator circuit board fire the first day, but CA repaired with no issues. I skipped the RV warranty, but took the powertrain because it was a small cost compared for 5 years when we typically do 5-6k mile usage per year. like about $400 per year is nice. CA did state to me the reason they got a great deal on the powertrain was because of their service monitoring with Ford allowed for lower costs. But I agree no one here has had a power train issue. Although I think I may have a compression issue that I will check on soon.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/21 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello Everyone OP here again.

It has been a little more than 2 years since I have given a progress report on my ownership of a Former Rental.
I have completed my 9th consecutive successful week long Thanksgiving trip with my extended family.

This year it was a lot different because of Covid,much smaller,all outside and social distance and mask rules were in place. We had 20mph winds late in the day after the early meal,just got it cleaned up before it got real bad. We all survived and no one has gotten sick.

As in my previous report, all the appliances are still in excellent working order and trouble free, all the doors, cabinets and drawers are working as they should and the fit and finish is still very good. All the tank sensors are still working as they should and the generator now has a bit more than 1400 hours on it without a single problem, if it hasn’t been run at least monthly I will start it up and put it under load for an hour or so.

I have kept up all the routine maintenance, checking all seams and openings and making sure that they are sealed and weather tight, washing waxing and all fluid check and changes that are needed.Plus a few Mods like the Wireless Backup Camera and moving the TV To a better place

I have not encountered any problems since my last update.

I am very happy with my choice of this Former Rental and its performance; it has given me great confidence in its use and dependability. I look forward to many more years of trouble free trips with family and friends or on my own,we have some trips planned for this year.

I hope others on this thread have had the same luck and dependability and would share with us how it is going with your Former Rental.Many have and by all reports most if not all have had the same luck and dependability.

Everyone out there stay safe and healthy,we will get thru this and return to our camping ways.Lets get Camping.

* This post was edited 02/06/21 02:31pm by IAMICHABOD *

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

TwistedGray

Monterey Bay, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

It has been a little more than 2 years since I have given a progress report on my ownership of a Former Rental.

Remind everyone what model : )

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/21 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TwistedGray wrote:

IAMICHABOD wrote:

Remind everyone what model : )

Here ya go

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Right there in my signature along with a picture [emoticon]

SJ-Chris

San Jose, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/21 10:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2015 Thor Majestic 28a from Cruise America (two actually). I recently completed a Dicor roof resealing project on it. Before starting on it, I wanted to confirm exactly what type of roof was on it.

It was suggested that I could remove one of my interior vent trims and see some of the material to know if it was EDPM or TPO. (check youtube) Unfortunately, when I tried, there was ZERO material visible.

When I bought my RVs from Cruise America, they made a big deal saying that their roofs are something special, so I was worried that perhaps they weren't EDPM or TPO but rather something else. I wanted to make sure it was okay to use the Dicor EDPM/TPO roofing material.

I read online somewhere (maybe even in this thread) that someone mentioned it was TPO. But I didn't want to believe just one person posting online to make my decision (no offense), because if it was wrong it could be bad news.

Well....it took many many calls to multiple Cruise Americas to get the answer. They told me that on the 2015 Majestic it uses a TPO roof. Interestingly, they said that their 2020 model (not sure about future models) is EDPM.

Just wanted to throw this out into the universe as it was much more difficult for me to find this answer and I'm hoping someone else finds it useful.

Happy RVing!
Chris

San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

fadumpt

SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/21 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we picked up our 2015 28a from ca kissimmee, they have us a 30a to 15a (house plug)adapter, 25ft water hose. The sewer hose is basically built-in to the sewer compartment and included (only has the bayonet fitting on one end) and the 25ft 30a power cord is included and bracketed down to the compartment but is removable and there is a standard power port in the compartment. They also give you the book that they give their renters and a paper on winterization.

You might be able to get some previous work done (invoices) if you ask (probably ahead of time, Jason at kissimmee had to research it since)

Both engines that come with these campers need spark plugs and coils at about 100k miles so try to confirm that it's been done or plan on doing it. Whether doing it yourself or having someone do it, shop around because 8 to 10 coils and plugs adds up... We found a good deal on Denso at rock auto.

* This post was last edited 02/17/21 04:29am by fadumpt *   View edit history

2015 Thor Majestic 28A
Ex Cruise America Rental

Hoerschel

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/21 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SJ-Chris wrote:

When I bought my RVs from Cruise America, they made a big deal saying that their roofs are something special, so I was worried that perhaps they weren't EDPM or TPO but rather something else. I wanted to make sure it was okay to use the Dicor EDPM/TPO roofing material.

I read online somewhere (maybe even in this thread) that someone mentioned it was TPO. But I didn't want to believe just one person posting online to make my decision (no offense), because if it was wrong it could be bad news.

Well....it took many many calls to multiple Cruise Americas to get the answer. They told me that on the 2015 Majestic it uses a TPO roof. Interestingly, they said that their 2020 model (not sure about future models) is EDPM.

Just wanted to throw this out into the universe as it was much more difficult for me to find this answer and I'm hoping someone else finds it useful.

---
S-J Chris: No offense taken. Back on 12/29/20 I replied to your original 12/27 inquiry and stated I had contacted Thor directly to confirm that our units had TPO roofs. Much easier to go right to the manufacturer rather than the retailer to get such critical information.

TwistedGray

Monterey Bay, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vehicle: (2015) 2017 Majestic 19G

Problem: The coach battery only powers the 120v outlets when the RV is connected to shore power or when/if the generator is running.

Question: Does anyone know what would have to be done to have it so that I can utilize the coach's battery without being plugged in or having the generator running? If someone has a wiring diagram for this model, that would be great.

I am looking into adding a secondary battery bank; however, based on our power requirements I think I could get away with just tapping into the coach's battery for outlet power and recharging the battery when in motion (or using the generator). I do not need constant power from the coach battery, but I would like to tap into it without having to dump $500-750 in battery gear (or running the generator).

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The short answer is that you need an Inverter to change 12 volt to 120 volt,I believe there has been a few owners that have done that and hopefully they will come along and share how that did it,in the mean time I will look thru the posts and see what I may have archived.

The only thing I could find is when you asked before and fadumpt answered

* This post was edited 02/13/21 02:43pm by IAMICHABOD *

cencerrita

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/21 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TwistedGray wrote:

Vehicle: (2015) 2017 Majestic 19G

Problem: The coach battery only powers the 120v outlets when the RV is connected to shore power or when/if the generator is running.

Question: Does anyone know what would have to be done to have it so that I can utilize the coach's battery without being plugged in or having the generator running? If someone has a wiring diagram for this model, that would be great.

I am looking into adding a secondary battery bank; however, based on our power requirements I think I could get away with just tapping into the coach's battery for outlet power and recharging the battery when in motion (or using the generator). I do not need constant power from the coach battery, but I would like to tap into it without having to dump $500-750 in battery gear (or running the generator).

Hi
Finding it frustrating that I can not post a small size photo from my computer[emoticon]
1.Ok the cheapeast and easiet way is to buy an inverter. We brought a full sine wave 1000w inverter which was bigger than the power we intended to want, so as not to overload.
2. Fitted just above the main battery locker and used 2 cables the same size as the main battery cables to join battery to invertor. This required 2 drill holes in the floor.
3.Hole cut out in the panel next to the invertor for direct access to 110V and 12V oulet socket on inverter. The inverter had 2 x 110V socket.
4. As required we plugged into these outlets, including a short extension lead sometimes.
5. This means the system is totally seperate from your house 110V sockets and you never have to worry about the 2 systems shorting out.

We ran no problem from this using laptop, fans, keybpoard, charging phones etc whilst boondocking. Even at Lake Mead for 14 days in 100F in the summer.

USB sockets
1.Buy ones with 2.1A and 1A outlet on them (Amazon/ebay). make sure they have a mounting back plate as wellUSB socket
2. Remove a 12v light and pull through existing 12v light cable.
3.Join cables to this and then to the usb outlets you fit, having fed the cables back up the light hole to your USB outlet position.
4. Refit light.
5. Suggest also fitting on/off switch next to usb if they have a blue power LED light with them. This stops the glow at night and the small power consumption when in storage.
you will find lots of info in the Owners Essential RV Handbook on Amazon

www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. Seeour web site for US travels www.cencerrita.com

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 159  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.