Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 157  
Prev  |  Next
IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/21 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

quisimatter,You might try this place for Bilstein shocks,I have used them and found that their prices are about the best around and they have FREE SHIPPING.

Shock Warehouse

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Booner

Boonville, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/21 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

quasimatter wrote:

Majestic31 wrote:

All new Bilstein HD shocks, Front steering stabilizer, Front and rear Anti sway bars, Front and rear Sumo springs airless air bags,

Hi Majestic31 (or Booner or anyone else) - could you link the Bilstein Shock and steering stabilizer you purchased? I could not find E450 Shock/stabilizers (for CA 28A Majestic) on Amazon.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Answering my own question for others in future:

Steering Stabilizer on Amazon $115

Rear Shocks part number 33-176840 as per Bilstein (08-16 E450 motorhomes)

Front shocks - Part number 33-187563 as per Bilsteing (08-16 E450 Motorhomes)

I have linked to Amazon but can be bought cheaper elsewhere.

Hey Quasimatter,
To figure out what shocks fit my rv, I first went to the Bilstein website and looked up what shock they recommend for my unit, then looked that model up on Amazon. Since my unit is a 23A, and an E350, my rv may or may not use the same shocks as yours.
But it looks like you found what you need. I hope you're very satisfied with the shocks.

-Booner

gotsmart

a bit too late though

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/21 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

quasimatter wrote:

Hi Majestic31 (or Booner or anyone else) - could you link the Bilstein Shock and steering stabilizer you purchased? I could not find E450 Shock/stabilizers (for CA 28A Majestic) on Amazon.

Thanks in advance.

I would recommend a Safe-t-Plus over the dampener that you listed. It is a dampener AND a centering device.

quasimatter

East Bay, SF, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 12:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks IAMICHABOD.

@booner - thanks for the followup - I have not yet bought/installed them; one of the upcoming project. Between shocks/dampener and Hellwig front/rear stabilizers - this looks to be a big ticket project in parts alone!

@gotsmart - thanks for suggestion. $399 price for Safe-T-Plus (vs. $115 for Bilstein dampener) feels scary but from reviews seems worth it.

quasimatter

East Bay, SF, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One more question on my 28A - I am trying to load up a scooter (350LB) on the hitch - while RV data indicates much higher towing capacity, the hitch showed two different numbers (see pictures below).

First the data from Ford - Max GWVR for E450 is 22,000 LB
As per labels on 28A - GWVR for unloaded 28A is 14,500 LB
Max Cargo Capacity - 3,127LB Lets say liquids are 342LB (as per label) and passengers and other being 1000LB - that leaves almost 1800LB tongue weight remaining (not to mention additional (3000LB+ remaining to get to E450 stated GWVR of 22,000LB).

And then the following:
First I noticed the stock hitch provided by Cruise America was rated only 200LB tongue weight (see picture below) (Sorry - can't attach picture - will add picture later).

However, this picture seems like a sticker stuck by Cruise America on top of official sticker underneath. So I peeled it off and found a 500LB/5000LB hitch manufacturer sticker (see picture below) (Sorry - can't attach picture - will add later).

Has anyone else noticed this? Which number should I go by? What is the weight others have towed with stock Cruise America hitch?

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/21 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This was discussed back on page 120 it may be helpful,just scroll thru the next few pages after this post
Click here to start

socal77

Redlands, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/21 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Booner wrote:

quasimatter wrote:

Majestic31 wrote:

All new Bilstein HD shocks, Front steering stabilizer, Front and rear Anti sway bars, Front and rear Sumo springs airless air bags,

Thanks in advance.

Hey Quasimatter,
To figure out what shocks fit my rv, I first went to the Bilstein website and looked up what shock they recommend for my unit, then looked that model up on Amazon. Since my unit is a 23A, and an E350, my rv may or may not use the same shocks as yours.
But it looks like you found what you need. I hope you're very satisfied with the shocks.

-Booner

I purchased the recommended Bilstein shocks and stabilizer that were recommended and had them installed yesterday. I felt a difference one the 3 mile drive home. The true test will be getting out on the higheay for our next trip in 2 weeks. Thanks for posting this info! It was definitely time to replace these parts as my 2009 29A is up to 174,000 miles.

cencerrita

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/21 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

quasimatter wrote:

One more question on my 28A - I am trying to load up a scooter (350LB) on the hitch - while RV data indicates much higher towing capacity, the hitch showed two different numbers (see pictures below).

First the data from Ford - Max GWVR for E450 is 22,000 LB
As per labels on 28A - GWVR for unloaded 28A is 14,500 LB
Max Cargo Capacity - 3,127LB Lets say liquids are 342LB (as per label) and passengers and other being 1000LB - that leaves almost 1800LB tongue weight remaining (not to mention additional (3000LB+ remaining to get to E450 stated GWVR of 22,000LB).

And then the following:
First I noticed the stock hitch provided by Cruise America was rated only 200LB tongue weight (see picture below) (Sorry - can't attach picture - will add picture later).

However, this picture seems like a sticker stuck by Cruise America on top of official sticker underneath. So I peeled it off and found a 500LB/5000LB hitch manufacturer sticker (see picture below) (Sorry - can't attach picture - will add later).

Has anyone else noticed this? Which number should I go by? What is the weight others have towed with stock Cruise America hitch?

Just remember how far back you scooter will be from the axle and the lever effect it has increasing the axle weight. You should have no problem as long as you load properly and get weight foreward - we always carried heavy stuff under the table, front bench seats etc and my tools under the front seats etc. No problems with our scooter of 300 lb with out 27G although if left on for overnight stops I did put a 4 x 4 piece of wood extra support under the scooter rack. Weight of 2 people sleeping in the rear at night is extra.

www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. Seeour web site for US travels www.cencerrita.com

TwistedGray

Monterey Bay, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/21 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If anyone is in the market for the 19G, we will be selling ours soon.

It's a 2017, 87k miles or so, and I've painted the interior white (among some other beautifications). We bought it late last year, used it a few times locally, and worked out all the kinks [emoticon]

The best thing we did was to add a surge protector that will operate without the need for the generator or being plugged into shore power.

Otherwise, it has new tires, new 12v, new house battery, and lower hours on the genny. With the power converter and surge protector set-up, we have eliminated the need to rely on the generator when out in the boondocks : )

There are NO 19G units via Cruise America at this time...

Pepi's_Mom

Concord CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/21 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well golly. I just finished reading all 154 pages and many, if not most, of my questions have been answered. I've truly enjoyed reading about all the fixes and changes and whatnot. Thanks to all for the info.

My husband and I are seriously considering the Majestic 28a. We would like to go talk to someone and considered going to Newark on Friday. Then I remembered the holiday. We'll wait. I would guess that they would be too busy.

I have several questions that deal with the bedroom. We're full timers and have two cats and a dog. Pepi, the dog, is a dachshund/beagle mix. Short legs. Any suggestions to make it easier for her to get on the bed? I figure I'll have a better idea of what I can do once I get a better look. I'll probably have to build something.

Also, is there any way to make a cat-sized opening for access from the bedroom to the rear storage? Keeping the litterboxes in the storage bay would be so much nicer.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 157  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.