Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 124  
Prev  |  Next
IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/19 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

roam1 wrote:

just a follow-up
I did contact a person in customer service and they supplied me with the framing diagrams I need to add a ladder and roof rack. ALP has been great to deal with!

This is good to know,that they have that information and are willing to share it with you,that is great customer service!

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

Hoerschel

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put a deposit down on a 2015 Majestic from CA in Denver. Test drive went well, minor coach repairs agreed to. Unit has 111,000 miles on the clock. Was listed at $28,985 but got a $2k discount for putting deposit down during Black Friday sale. Wondering about wisdom of paying $500 for an RVIA inspector at this point before taking delivery on 12/24. Judging from previous posts and confidence people have had in CA doing essential maintenance, would this money be better spent on routine maintenance that will be needed anyway. Also, seeking feedback from folks who have actually used the coach / power train extended service contracts. Worthwhile or should I self-insure? I'm not a handyman but can do basic repairs. Thanks for feedback.

andydallas

Dallas TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just put a deposit down on a Majestic 28A from Phoenix, will pick up 12/23. I will not see the unit (except in pictures) until I fly in, was also wondering about using an inspector. I ask about awning, said they would add one for $995, of course if I buy it now it will be calculated into the payment so it is tempting

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hoerschel Welcome to the Forum and the Former Rental Owners Club.

The inspection is really up to you,if you are confident in the overall condition I would not spend that money,just keep it and spend it as needed on maintenance.

As for the extended warranty, I have looked thru the whole thread and found no one that has used it and only one that used the Warranty that came with the unit when they bought it.

The extended warranty (insurance policy) is up to you, but they are just that, and are in the business of making money not paying out if they can. The fine print or the interpretation of it is up to them.

While checking on the warranty for both El Monte RV and CA I noticed that CA has shortened theirs to 3 months/3000 miles while El Monte RV has kept their 1 year/12000 mile warranty that is free when buying the RV. Looks like they are really pushing the extended warranty as they did when I was looking for my RV,they were the same back then.

My experience with one was not a good one,long story,and not a good one.

I would just put that money aside and use if needed. I do not know of anyone yet that has used the extended warranty.

When you buy please come on back and share your experiences and thoughts on your purchase.

Good luck!

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

andydallas Welcome to the Forum and the Former Rental Owners Club.

As I said before that The inspection is really up to you,if you are confident in the overall condition I would not spend that money,just keep it and spend it as needed on maintenance.

As for the awning the price seems to be in line with the prices today,but if they are rolling it into your payment just know that you are paying interest on that $995,If you have the money just have it installed later.

On one note there are a few members that have negotiated a free awning into the deal when buying from Cruise America,might give it a try.

Also are getting the The Fly & Buy program that is limited to $300 maximum, and limited to the price actually paid for the ticket.you may be able to roll that into your awning price.

When you buy please come on back and share your experiences and thoughts on your purchase.

Good luck!

* This post was edited 12/10/19 01:33pm by IAMICHABOD *

Hoerschel

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/19 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Completed our purchase of a Thor 28A Fourwinds Majestic 30' Class C from Cruise America in Denver with 111,500 miles. Refurbishments look fine. Like the no-frills but good quality construction. Salesman made sure everything was working to my satisfaction before leaving. I'm impressed with the power of the Ford E-450. Had no problems keeping up with traffic on the busy interstate. The key feature that sold us on this unit was the rear storage. I got two 8' kayaks and two 60 pound folding e-bikes back there. Solved a lot of issues from our previous trailer arrangement where I had to tie down the boats on roof racks and lift the bikes up high to get them in the back of my pickup camper. Now, we have no more high heavy lifting and the toys are secure from theft and the elements by being out-of-sight in a closed compartment. Unless you've got a huge Class A, I don't know of any other Class C where this is possible.
[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

* This post was edited 12/24/19 02:36pm by Hoerschel *

campingalan

San Juan Mountains, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hoerschel wrote:

Completed our purchase of a Thor 28A Fourwinds Majestic 30' Class C from Cruise America in Denver with 111,500 miles. Refurbishments look fine. Like the no-frills but good quality construction. Salesman made sure everything was working to my satisfaction before leaving. I'm impressed with the power of the Ford E-450. Had no problems keeping up with traffic on the busy interstate. The key feature that sold us on this unit was the rear storage. I got two 8' kayaks and two 60 pound folding e-bikes back there. Solved a lot of issues from our previous trailer arrangement where I had to tie down the boats on roof racks and lift the bikes up high to get them in the back of my pickup camper. Now, we have no more high heavy lifting and the toys are secure from theft and the elements by being out-of-sight in a closed compartment. Unless you've got a huge Class A, I don't know of any other Class C where this is possible.
[image]

Hello from the San Juan Mountains!! Many congrats on your purchase!! I am contemplating doing this also. Did you end up bring in a 3rd party inspector?

2005 Fleetwood Prowler Regal 320DBHS (SOLD)">
1996 GMC Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4
7.4l, 4.10 Axle Ratio
1200LB Reese WDH w/Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Hoerschel

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/19 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campingalan--
No, I decided to keep the $500 in my pocket for later maintenance after I gave it a thorough going-over myself.

andydallas

Dallas TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok I closed on my 28A from CA- Phoenix yesterday, some good and a few things that I wasn't really happy with in the process. First everyone was extremely nice and helpful, there were a few things that needed attention (like the grill Ford emblem which looked like it had gone through a blender, not sure how they didn't see that)

The thing I was not happy with was the process. I had sent everything to them, and they knew I would be there Monday morning at 8:30 for a week. I had told them I needed to drive from Phoenix back to Dallas, so needed to move quickly when I was there. First even knowing I was coming for a week, no one knew where my MH was, they couldn't find it. They took about an hour to locate it, then it had no gas, well below a 1/4 tank so I can't even start the generator. They had told me it would take 2 hours, I figured 2-3, I left after 6 hours without even getting to test drive the unit. They just do not have the sales process down very smooth. Again, everyone was very nice, but as I was getting ready to leave (after 6 hours), they put 15 gallons of gas in so at least I could start the generator for a minute.

If you are coming in from out of town plan on being there at least one full day, OR have it inspected, they miss some small things (but were pretty quick to fix0

Drive from Phoenix to Dallas was great, 1070 miles and got back 24 hours after leaving (I had to be back for a party). Motor Home seems in Great shape, I am happy with the purchase, just wish they had been prepared (they would print out a form, then have to reprint it etc etc, really a headache, you sat and waited

Now I am a happy 28A owner

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hoerschel,Merry Christmas and congratulations on your BIG Present..
I will put you on the list of Happy Former Rental owners you will be # 111

It looks like you got what you wanted with that huge rear storage,and were happy with the quality and construction.It sounds like the sale went smoothly and the sales staff had everything up to your satisfaction.

Thanks for the picture,it looks very nice. I see that it is one that came with no window in the door,it is really nice to have and one of our members,MtnBikeMarty, put one in and did a nice job See it Here

I see that you decided to keep the $500 in you pocket for maintenance and gave a thorough going-over,that sounds like a good choice.

Again welcome and have a great time in you Former Rental and after a few trips come on back and let us know how it is going.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 124  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.