Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 94  
Prev  |  Next
AZtravelnurse

AZ

New Member

Joined: 10/12/2017

View Profile



Posted: 10/12/17 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, new to this forum and ready to buy my first RV. Was reading all your post's during the summer, really helpful and thanks for starting this thread. It's just me and my pups, so I decided to head to CA to check out a 2013 23A model. The sales people are very pleasant, so not disappointed at all, however I was a bit surprised at all the little blemishes I found on the inside...I watched the refurbish video and it looks that this is done in a hurry...just hoping that doesn't apply to the mechanical part. I don't know the first thing about trucks, so this is a bit bothering. Btw the mattresses were all pretty worn out and it was suggested that I will get info where I could buy a new RV mattress...so much for throwing a new one in the deal lol. I'm kind a stuck with one thing...the one I looked at had 120,000mi...lots of choices though. Should I look at one with less mileage?? Not sure if 20,000 makes much of a difference...

Mocoondo

Chicago, IL

Senior Member

Joined: 02/23/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/13/17 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 08 was a good year. The chassis and house are always separated by one year with the chassis being one year older on paper. 55 gal fuel tank is correct. 6mpg is very low. Should see between 9 and 10.

Burns813 wrote:


I am brand new and reading as much info as possible. My rig is titled as an '08 but registered as an '07. It has the older model front end so I'm assuming chassis is '07 and house is '08?
Just to confirm its a 55gal fuel tank and a 5 speed torque shift right?
I am a GM guy but Chevy chassis is harder to find.
I had some hesitation with the higher miles and older rig and underwhelming 5.4 but this forum has eased some of my concerns. The prior owner reports about 6mpg. Does anyone on here with a 5.4 report that low? I live at 5200 feet so I understand going up steep grades can be an issue maintaining but I'm hoping for years of reliability and 9-11 mpg with conservative driving? Is that unrealistic? Anyone on here with a 5.4 over 200k miles? Im not so much concerned about performance as i am about reliability and reasonable efficiency.
I'll be taking it on about a 2k mile trip with the family to Iowa next week. Looking forward to experiencing the lifestyle. It'll be me the wife, 3 kids under 5 years and the dogs. I know the 23A might be a bit tight but thats what camping is all about! TIA.






IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/13/17 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AZtravelnurse,First Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for sharing your experience while looking for a Former Rental. From previous buyers from CA they have said that they got a new mattress when they purchased one from them. If you have some choices at the lot I would look for the best one then.

I would take Member Jbrowlands advice at This Link and see what happens,I might go so far as showing it to them and asking if their practices have changed. If not I would look elsewhere,I had no such problems with my purchase at El Monte RV,they had everything in top shape when I picked up mine.

Hopefully they will do what you want and you can join the ranks of the Former Rental Club [emoticon]

Good luck and let us know of any new developments in your search.


2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C


Burns813

Casper, WY

New Member

Joined: 10/08/2017

View Profile



Posted: 10/16/17 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mocoondo wrote:

The 08 was a good year. The chassis and house are always separated by one year with the chassis being one year older on paper. 55 gal fuel tank is correct. 6mpg is very low. Should see between 9 and 10.

Burns813 wrote:


I am brand new and reading as much info as possible. My rig is titled as an '08 but registered as an '07. It has the older model front end so I'm assuming chassis is '07 and house is '08?
Just to confirm its a 55gal fuel tank and a 5 speed torque shift right?


I am a GM guy but Chevy chassis is harder to find.
I had some hesitation with the higher miles and older rig and underwhelming 5.4 but this forum has eased some of my concerns. The prior owner reports about 6mpg. Does anyone on here with a 5.4 report that low? I live at 5200 feet so I understand going up steep grades can be an issue maintaining but I'm hoping for years of reliability and 9-11 mpg with conservative driving? Is that unrealistic? Anyone on here with a 5.4 over 200k miles? Im not so much concerned about performance as i am about reliability and reasonable efficiency.
I'll be taking it on about a 2k mile trip with the family to Iowa next week. Looking forward to experiencing the lifestyle. It'll be me the wife, 3 kids under 5 years and the dogs. I know the 23A might be a bit tight but thats what camping is all about! TIA.




Thanks. I just put my first 1100 miles on the 5.4. Got 10.6 and then 9.4mpg on 300+ mile fill ups. Pretty happy with that. Just filled up in Iowa with non-ethanol 87 octane so we'll see if I can do even better.

I just changed the oil. Last change was in February about 2200 miles ago. Easy change and did Motorcraft filter and oil 5w20 blend.

I have noted more and more small blemishes and imperfections since staying in it for 5 nights but so far it has been mechanically sound and I hope for thousands more of trouble free miles.

bghouse

Washington

New Member

Joined: 06/01/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/17/17 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just remembered I forgot to come back and post. I'm the proud owner of a 2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 21QB from El Monte RV. Picked it up on Sept 27th and have been full time since. Thanks everyone for this fantastic post and all the help!

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/17/17 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey bghouse,welcome back. It is good to hear about your acquisition of a Former Rental from El Monte RV.

You will be #95 in the Former Rental Club [image]

I hope you will have fun full timing in it,please come back and tell us how everything is going when you get a some time with it,again congratulations on your new rig.

Burns813

Casper, WY

New Member

Joined: 10/08/2017

View Profile



Posted: 10/20/17 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok I just got back from a 2000 mile trip. 2007 E350 chassis now has over 153k miles, Anyone got that beat?

I did add some Lucas Stop Slip tranny additive after I noticed a "clunk" between 2nd and 3rd upshift at low speeds. The Lucas didn't help so I started to worry. I then googled "torqshift clunk" and found a ton of info in forums about the issue. Turns out Ford is aware and says the 2-3 clunk as well as the R-P clunk is "normal" and requires no repair. I still don't like the sound but I feel better knowing it's "normal". Anyone else have that issue with their torqshift tranny? I may change my tranny fluid and rear diff in the spring just to be safe.

The trip back to Wyoming had high winds so I got more in the 8mpg range. I found a highway 20 route home that saved 100 miles and we still made it in the same time as we did using interstate. It was much more pleasant taking highways, seeing small towns, and not having to compete with 80mph traffic on the interstate. Western Iowa and Eastern Nebraska are beautiful during harvest.

I spent about $450 in fuel for the trip. Gas being reasonable at under $2.50/gal I can see how these rigs can be grounded pretty quick if gas were to surge back up like it did several years ago.

I was quite pleased with the overall performance of the 2008 23A 5.4. I am looking into a TV/DVD and a backup camera for the spring. Does anyone have recommendations on either? Does anyone know how the cable jacks undermounted on the dinette cabinet and side mounted to the upper bunk cabinet come into play? I was thinking of mounting an arm on the side cabinet in the upper bunk.

Mocoondo

Chicago, IL

Senior Member

Joined: 02/23/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/20/17 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Burns813 wrote:

Ok I just got back from a 2000 mile trip. 2007 E350 chassis now has over 153k miles, Anyone got that beat?



The clunk is normal. No action needed. You do not need to flush the trans as it would have been done at 100K miles and is not needed again until 200K miles.

I've taken a few 350's up to 170K miles. Very few powertrain issues other than a coil pack here and there resulting in a misfire. Probably also due for ball joints by that time as well, but I'll bet they have already been done at least once. Check for a zerk on the BJ's. If present, apply a few pumps of grease. If not, consider installing zerks so you can apply grease.

Burns813

Casper, WY

New Member

Joined: 10/08/2017

View Profile



Posted: 10/20/17 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator



The clunk is normal. No action needed. You do not need to flush the trans as it would have been done at 100K miles and is not needed again until 200K miles.

I've taken a few 350's up to 170K miles. Very few powertrain issues other than a coil pack here and there resulting in a misfire. Probably also due for ball joints by that time as well, but I'll bet they have already been done at least once. Check for a zerk on the BJ's. If present, apply a few pumps of grease. If not, consider installing zerks so you can apply grease.

Thanks! Prior owner had ball joints, new cooper tires, steering stabilizer, spark plugs, and new Monroe shocks put on when he bought it last March. He put less than 1000 miles on it and decided he wanted a toyhauler instead. A lot has been done I'm just trying to see what else it'll need before next spring.

path1

Varies with weather

Senior Member

Joined: 04/19/2012

View Profile



Posted: 10/20/17 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mocoondo wrote:

Burns813 wrote:

Ok I just got back from a 2000 mile trip. 2007 E350 chassis now has over 153k miles, Anyone got that beat?



The clunk is normal. No action needed. You do not need to flush the trans as it would have been done at 100K miles and is not needed again until 200K miles.

I've taken a few 350's up to 170K miles. Very few powertrain issues other than a coil pack here and there resulting in a misfire. Probably also due for ball joints by that time as well, but I'll bet they have already been done at least once. Check for a zerk on the BJ's. If present, apply a few pumps of grease. If not, consider installing zerks so you can apply grease.


I agree with Mocoondo on 99.999 things he says. He is one of the best resources on here. But if me I would change every fluid you have. You have no idea if someone took the rear diff for a swim or if some renter added whatever to trans.
I would do a complete change of fluid bumper to bumper. Drop trans pan replace the filter and drain torque converter and replace trans fluid with OEM spec. Same with other fluids to include coolant and power steering. I do carry a spare COP and injector and cheap trouble code reader. Be gentle re-torqueing trans bolts start and thread in finger tight as far as you can, then hand torque...unless you like heli coils.

You never know what your unit has been through. Matter of fact I watched a renter get in and put on her seatbelt and mash the gas to the floor, while in park. Couple CA employees ran over to her and ask what the problem was. Turns out she never drove an automatic before, only stick. Sort of funny... She told CA people in her own language (what ever that was) if it was truly "automatic" transmission, she should not have to "manually" put it in drive. Hinse her mashing the gas...because CA told her it was "automatic"[emoticon]

* This post was edited 10/20/17 08:05pm by path1 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 94  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS