Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 157  
Prev  |  Next
Booner

Boonville, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/20 01:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MtnBikeMarty--

I called a couple of the companies that sell the rotating bases and asked them why they didn't list and Ford bases past model year 2008 or so. The basic response from the sales people didn't know, but I suspect it has something to do with the airbags. I know Fords have tight cabins but there should be something available.
Then I thought I'm doing it wrong, instead of looking at a class C RV, I should look for a Ford E350 truck and I found a seat base from the Sportsmobile company that would fit, but the price was around $350.

I can wait until I get the unit and take my own measurements. I've modified several vans into campers so I know it can be done, all it may take is a cutting torch, a good drill, and a little creativity.

I'm more concerned in getting a little more recline in the drivers seat. It could be an awful long trip back to Missouri if I have to sit so close to the steering wheel. I have a friend who lives down in Colorado Springs with a pretty good shop and a lot of tools, so that may be my first trip and modification. He used to have an RV so he and I can go over my unit and fix some of the problems that CA don't address.

Booner

Boonville, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/20 01:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

texasvwnut--

Thanks for the message and info. I'll follow your advise.

IAMICHADBOD--
Thanks for the picture. I may have to do that.
With you being 6'6," don't you get tired that the world is made for short people? (Remember the song "Short people ain't got no body?--I'm dating myself).

I'll be back when I get the unit and share my experience. It's the least I can do to show my appreciation for all those who have done the same before me. I realize that I'm dealing with salesmen who's only care is selling another unit, and that it's a seller's market right now so their attention to detail may be lacking. I'm a very patient person, but I do hope I don't have to go all Missouri Redneck on them. It ain't pretty.

* This post was edited 08/14/20 10:37am by Booner *

texasvwnut

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/20 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Booner wrote:

...but I do hope I don't have to go all Missouri Redneck on them. It ain't pretty.

Now that's funny!

2016 Thor Majestic 23A
Ex Cruise America RV Rental

Booner

Boonville, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/20 10:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man

texasvwnut

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/20 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gotsmart wrote:

eldel wrote:

Another small point - I was told that the backup warning is "disabled during refurbishment" - and yet I see in here that previous buyers have a working one. Anyone know how to re-enable this?

The black rectangle behind the bike rack on my 2005 28R is the backup sonar. I unplugged the connector behind it because the rack and car-in-tow would set it off. Also the backup beep comes from the bulbs in the tail lights. When I put the transmission in reverse the backup lights turn on and the beeping starts.

[image]

eldel - New news to me but yesterday, I was in the process of cleaning my reverse light lenses and found one of these under one:

Beeping Reverse Light

One of the other forum members mentioned that he/she thought that this was the case so I wanted to validate that statement. I'm never at the back of the coach when in reverse so I've never thought about this.

TVO

CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read all 124 pages. Discouraging at first with Rangers and whatnot saying they would never buy a rental, but I stuck with it looking for any negative reviews. But it all seems to be pretty positive, thanks for all your input. So now I have decided to drive to Bay Area next week to look at a 28a from CA. We are planning on a full country trip while my 10 boy is distance learning. I’m a noob so the simplicity of the layout and the year of the rig for the price are what I was looking for. I will keep in touch.

Thanks again everyone.

texasvwnut

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/20 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck! Swing back by if you have any questions. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here.

MtnBikeMarty

phoenix, az

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Booner wrote:

MtnBikeMarty--

I called a couple of the companies that sell the rotating bases and asked them why they didn't list and Ford bases past model year 2008 or so. The basic response from the sales people didn't know, but I suspect it has something to do with the airbags. I know Fords have tight cabins but there should be something available.
Then I thought I'm doing it wrong, instead of looking at a class C RV, I should look for a Ford E350 truck and I found a seat base from the Sportsmobile company that would fit, but the price was around $350.

I can wait until I get the unit and take my own measurements. I've modified several vans into campers so I know it can be done, all it may take is a cutting torch, a good drill, and a little creativity.

I'm more concerned in getting a little more recline in the drivers seat. It could be an awful long trip back to Missouri if I have to sit so close to the steering wheel. I have a friend who lives down in Colorado Springs with a pretty good shop and a lot of tools, so that may be my first trip and modification. He used to have an RV so he and I can go over my unit and fix some of the problems that CA don't address.

Booner,

I just got back from a week long trip to San Diego, with plenty of time to look at the dinette area, setting it up in the morning and putting down at night so the dogs could sleep on it. Anyway, I was thinking it would be somewhat simple to cut the dinning seat back, leave the seat bottom box intact with the fusebox and table pole holder, and yet your driver's seat would recline way back while you're driving, I don't have that problem at 5'-10". Then when parked you could install some hinges or brackets so that the dinette seat could be re-installed and the driver's seat tilted back up. I got thinking of doing something like that if I get the rotating base for the driver's seat.

If I get a chance today, I'll take a couple pictures of mine, so you can see what you're up against.
MtnBikeMarty

MtnBikeMarty

phoenix, az

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Booner,
Here's my CA 27G with the dinette seat cushion removed.
[image]

Here's below the seat, sorry it's dirtier than I thought, but I never open this up... shows the back of the fuse box and the storage tube for the table leg.
[image]

And finally the driver's seat leaned back.
[image]
Hope it helps,
MtnBikeMarty

* This post was edited 08/21/20 12:30pm by MtnBikeMarty *

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/20 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pictures,it looks like it can be done as it was Done on mine

One thing that Fleetwood did on theirs is that they made a cutout in the dinette seat back so the drivers seat could be relined more.
[image][image]
Now I know how that all looks on the CA models I will archive this for future reference,good job [image]

* This post was edited 08/21/20 08:44pm by IAMICHABOD *

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 157  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.