Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 156  
Prev  |  Next
Booner

Boonville, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/20 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MtnBike and Ich,

Thanks for the ideas and photo's.
I think I said this before, but I think I'll head down to my buddies place in Colo Springs and borrow his saber saw and do some modifying before I take the RV up into the mountains. Cutting the back out of the dinette booth looks pretty simple, and easy to convert back to a usable seat if needed.

As far as a bed goes, I think the dinette probably converts to a rather short bed, probably good only for kids and dogs. I'm pretty sure I won't be using it.

Thanks again to both of you.

IMTank

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good afternoon, we recently purchased a 2016 Thor Majestic 23A from Cruise America. One of the first things I would like to do is upgrade the battery system, including the 1. battery monitor and 2. going to a lithium battery. Our unit also has some sort of small battery solar charger integrated somehow. I am having a tough time locating information on the our system to figure out how to begin- has anyone else with Majestic upgraded their system? Thanks in advance for your help.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/20 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMTank wrote:

Good afternoon, we recently purchased a 2016 Thor Majestic 23A from Cruise America. One of the first things I would like to do is upgrade the battery system, including the 1. battery monitor and 2. going to a lithium battery. Our unit also has some sort of small battery solar charger integrated somehow. I am having a tough time locating information on the our system to figure out how to begin- has anyone else with Majestic upgraded their system? Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello IMTank
Welcome to the Forum and the Former Rental Owners Club..I will put you on the books as #124 [image]

I see no one has come back to answer your questions but they may be along soon,keep checking.

I did find one post that may be of help to you on the solar charger.

This Link May Help

I hope that this helps and Have fun with that RV. Come on back and tell us what has been done or any other mods you make.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

626OhanaCA

L.A. Foothills

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/20 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello everyone,

I wanted to follow up after our first trip in our 2018 Coachman Leprechaun 32 ft former El Monte RV rental. We ended up taking a 16 day shake down cruise with 5 people on board though 7 western states. We did not originally plan to go out like that but with all the problems of getting items needed for the RV that how it needed to happen. I would suggest to anyone to take a short trip for a shake down to get to know your systems before cramming people and gear in a small space for that long.

So a lot of things on this trip did not break and held up great. After hearing some people complain about the power in the V-10, I have to disagree. Yes it did slow down on steep grades but i was still passing some small cars going up the hills. I was impressed how mechanically things held up. There may be some suspension upgrades in the future, but when I figured out where to have the ride rite inflated to it helped a ton with ride and passing big rigs.

Also all the main systems worked as expected with no problems. The only system we did not use was the heater. The only odd thing is the level sensors for the black and grey always reading 1/3 full(worked when purchased). They do seem to work right other wise.

Now the things that broke, We had two tires go. One complete blow out (boom sound) and one starting to come apart. Both were inner rear tires. I looked too quickly when buying and thought everything looked good.I noticed that the inner tires were a different tread pattern but looked new. Found out after the second tire they were over 5 years old by the date code.

Next thing that broke was the CO2 and LP alarm failed (low voltage ) in the middle of the night. Fun was had by everyone that night. Researching the problem found this was common with this and got a replacement at Wal-Mart.

We had a water leak coming from under the shower. Caused by bad caulking and a loose drain connection.

Then the last thing is the drawer catches. This is going to be a on going issue as they are plastic and i am going to be changing them as they break. Unfortunately my father in law didn't see one of the slider drawers open that are under the bench of the dinette and kicked it breaking the drawer.

One thing we are definitely changing are the faucets. They work but are way too close to the sink basin causing water to splash everywhere. We did change the shower head before leaving to a oxegenetics one and everyone did like that.

So we are still glad we got our former rental but would definitely recommend looking at all the tires to make sure they are all new and matched. And maybe see if you can get them to replace all the latches to metal to save headaches in the future. Also buy a TPMS trust me I am now a believer in these. I think it would have warned me on the first tire blow out. I feel better now seeing the pressures and temperatures of the tires now.

2018 Coachman Leprechaun 32ft Ford E450 V-10
Former El Monte Rental

fadumpt

SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

626OhanaCA, out of curiosity for this thread. Were any of the issues that came up covered by El Monte? How useful is their included warranty?

2015 Thor Majestic 28A
Ex Cruise America Rental

zachcycles

NorCal

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMTank wrote:

Good afternoon, we recently purchased a 2016 Thor Majestic 23A from Cruise America. One of the first things I would like to do is upgrade the battery system, including the 1. battery monitor and 2. going to a lithium battery.

My former rental is from Camping World and is a Thor Freedom Elite... they are pretty much the same as you Majestic. I just upgraded to Li battery(s) last spring. It was spendy. It hurt a bit and I've yet to add the second battery. I immediately added the Victron battery monitor system which calculates what you have used and what is left based on your usage. The little light panel or even a volt meter that works ok on flooded cells is useless for Li. I did not immediately change my converter to Li capable. It charged the battery fairly well but never completely to 100%, usually stopped charging around 90% and took it's time doing it. I saved my pennies and upgraded the converter the first of summer and wow, what a difference! From 0 charge to full charge 100% in 2 hours! There is a bunch of dated and just plain bad info out there... a bunch of assumptions also... the technology is changing rapidly so be sure to contact a battery supplier directly. I went with Battleborn and they were great answering questions and making recommendations based on what I had and what I wanted. Do your own research and beware the naysayers, there are many but Li is the wave of the future IMO...

Whether out in the motor home or just sittin n sippin a fine whiskey, my mind wanders these daze. I'm ok with this...

626OhanaCA

L.A. Foothills

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fadumpt wrote:

626OhanaCA, out of curiosity for this thread. Were any of the issues that came up covered by El Monte? How useful is their included warranty?

I have not used any of the included warrant. The leak was easily fixed with some new caulking and tightening the shower drain plumming. The co2 and lp alarm I just replaced due to the time it would have taken to drive to El Monte and pick up would have been a pain and it was worth the money for me just to replace it. We had our second trip planned in less than two weeks later. The latches were cheap and not a big deal for me to replace. Mostly I did not do it out of time constraints of our work and sons school starting.

We did buy the tire warranty and are still waiting to hear back from the company about them paying us back for the replacement tires. El Monte had not got them the paperwork yet. I was told it can take up to 75 days for them to get the paperwork from them and then have to wait for them to refund us. Ill follow up when anything changes with the tires. But hopefully soon it gets taken care of.

Booner

Boonville, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/20 10:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMTank said........ Our unit also has some sort of small battery solar charger integrated somehow. I am having a tough time locating information on the our system to figure out how to begin.........

Hello IMTank
I seem to remember reading that on top of your rv they put a small solar panel to trickle charge your house battery. The panel may not be much bigger than a 5 or 10 watts panel, not big enough so a charge controller is required. it all of this is true, then I don't know if the existing wiring is of a sufficient size to handle a larger panel, say a 100 or 150 watt panel. Of course, if you did go to a large panel, then a charge controller would be needed.

As I haven't received word yet that my unit (23A) is ready yet, so what I said about the small trickle charge panel is from my memory, so bear that in mind.

I hope you have many enjoyable years with your unit.

-Booner

eldel

Northern Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to the salesguy at Denver CA when I got my 28A it's a 7W mini panel which is basically just there to stop the coach battery totally depleting if the rig is standing unpowered.

I'm looking to replace my setup with 200W of panel and 200AH of LiFePo4 batteries. Estimating with charge controller and the labor that'll be around $3K - $3.5K.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eldel wrote:

I'm looking to replace my setup with 200W of panel and 200AH of LiFePo4 batteries. Estimating with charge controller and the labor that'll be around $3K - $3.5K.

I know that this guy is a bit out of your area but may be worth the trip or at least give you a base line for the install that is included in the price.
High Watt Solar

One member is really happy with his.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 156  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.