Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 160  
Prev  |  Next
briancayko

Great Falls, Montana

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/20 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those of you that bought the CA units via a deposit while you waited for it to be refurbished, how did you decide which one to get?

I made a comparison chart of all the units up for sale from the Mesa location, the one I select will be delivered to SLC location where I would travel from Montana to complete the purchase and pick up. Clearly the more miles and the older the less money but every once in a while they run a "hot deal of the day" where it seems like a lower mileage unit for less than all the rest. are these Hot deals in worse shape?

Is there any rhyme or reason to find out which ones are in "better shape" than any others?

Any truth that they run deeper discounts around thanksgiving? and is the current $2,500 off promotion a usual thing or unique to their sales strategy?

And lastly, is there a specific mileage, say 100k or 120k that normal scheduled maintenance would be performed on the engine/drive train? as to specifically purchase one with say 120k+ as opposed to say 110k in order to make sure that the closest scheduled maintenance has already been done?

* This post was last edited 11/08/20 10:14pm by briancayko *   View edit history

fadumpt

SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/20 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the trailer hitch. The sticker on my hitch that is under the 2500lb CA sticker appears to show a tongue weight of 600lbs.
The class iii hitches for ford vans on etrailer all say 600lb tongue, 6000lb trailer and if you have weight distribution then it's 800/8000

It would be really nice if someone here actually has a picture of the sticker that is under the 2500lb CA sticker though.
The other sticker on mine says 4 winds 5k
So there's that too...

2015 Thor Majestic 28A
Ex Cruise America Rental

Hoerschel

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/20 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

briancayko wrote:

Any truth that they run deeper discounts around thanksgiving? and is the current $2,500 off promotion a usual thing or unique to their sales strategy?
And lastly, is there a specific mileage, say 100k or 120k that normal scheduled maintenance would be performed on the engine/drive train? as to specifically purchase one with say 120k+ as opposed to say 110k in order to make sure that the closest scheduled maintenance has already been done?

Yes, I bought one last November/December that was discounted heavily due to it being off season and CA still needs to generate income. The trade off is that I found them less inclined to fix things; i.e., failing house battery, replace tires, change oil / transmission fluid. I absorbed the expense and got the work done afterword and still saved money by purchasing in the off season.

Floridastorm

Orlando

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/20 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would appreciate additional info from folks that bought one of the late model previous rental units before I finally make a trip down to Orlando to speak with one of the sales reps. Considering the Class C 23A Model.

*How much of a down payment is required and how many years of financing is available through CA?

*I would imagine the interest rate depends on FICO score. But were their rates competitive?

*Do they allow for an independent RV inspection prior to signing the Purchase Agreement?

*Will they abide by the independent inspection and repair anything noted on the inspection report?

*Is their 3 month warranty for power train only?

*Did you have to have anything done under that warranty?

Thanks again for any and all info provided.

fadumpt

SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/20 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Floridastorm, the 3 month warranty is mainly for powertrain wear and tear but I was able to get vehicle and house issues repaired or replaced. The starter and coils/plugs tune-up was deemed normal maintenance and not covered.

I purchased mine in Orlando and they are great but I'd recommend having an inspection done before you pick it up. Get as much done while it's on their lot.

MtnBikeMarty

phoenix, az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fadumpt wrote:

Floridastorm, the 3 month warranty is mainly for powertrain wear and tear but I was able to get vehicle and house issues repaired or replaced. The starter and coils/plugs tune-up was deemed normal maintenance and not covered.

I purchased mine in Orlando and they are great but I'd recommend having an inspection done before you pick it up. Get as much done while it's on their lot.

Floridastorm,
Yes they will allow an independent inspection, I used one, then while the salesman and I were doing the paperwork, they got everything addressed on the inspection list. I paid cash, so no help with the other questions. I would recommend their price and installation of the awning it you are even slightly thinking of one in the future. I passed on theirs, figured I could find something better and cheaper, I was wrong. Though, my Mesa AZ salesguy will let me purchase one, (almost 4 years later) and schedule and install appoint. MtnBikeMarty

Booner

Boonville, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/20 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Floridastorm wrote:

Would appreciate additional info from folks that bought one of the late model previous rental units before I finally make a trip down to Orlando to speak with one of the sales reps. Considering the Class C 23A Model.

*How much of a down payment is required and how many years of financing is available through CA?

*I would imagine the interest rate depends on FICO score. But were their rates competitive?

*Do they allow for an independent RV inspection prior to signing the Purchase Agreement?

*Will they abide by the independent inspection and repair anything noted on the inspection report?

I don't know how much I can help you regarding financing as I paid cash for mine, (Majestic 23A), but why don't you call the CA sales rep. at where you will be buying the unit and ask them these questions? Once you know the answers then you could contact your own banker to compare rates and terms? CA likely does the financing through a third party, and you may be able to get financing at better terms on your own.

They did allow a local inspection service to go over my rig prior to my arrival. I also had the inspection service take samples of the engine and transmision fluids and send them off for testing. Everything was good on my unit, and when I picked it up it was in "rentable" condition. Expect some dings and scratches, you are buying a used vehicle. The fluid annalyse, if it had come back that the engine was in poor condition would have been a deal breaker for me. The inspection service will tell you in what condition they found the coach in (my report was over 100 pages long-vey picture heavy). Again, expect the coach to be in "rental" or serviceable condition. More than likely, they don't have the facilities or parts at the the location your buying from to change out the a/c for example, so it's up to you if you want to accept the unit the way it is. Remember, you are buying the unit "as is." Don't expect them to fix every/any flaw the inspection service may find, but do expect the unit to be in rentable condition.

Their 3 month warranty, as far as I was concerned was for drive train only, that's why I highly suggest you have the fluid samples taken and have their report in hand before you pick the coach up. It's peace of mind to know the engine and transmision are in good condition. If these vehicles have been regularly serviced (and they are,) and you keep that service up, you should get another 3-400,000 miles out of them.

I have not had a reason for any warranty work, nor would I hesitate to recommend a CA formal rental to anyone.

What to expect-
Your buying a used motorhome, it'll have some dings and scratches. It gives the motorhome some character, and you'll add dings and scratches to it too. On the plus side, if you've read the complaints that the buyers of new motorhomes have, you're beyond all that. The things that got screwed up at the factory have long been fixed. More than likely, you'll be working on maintenance items, which every motor home has.

The motor will have fresh oil. They change the oil every 5,000 miles. I recommend you do the same. I am going to have the transmission serviced soon, because I'm annal,not because it needs it. But I want to know that it's been done, and when it was done. If you plan on using the generator much, change it's oil now. And sometime in the near future, change to oil in the rear end. I doubt if that's ever been changed.

The shocks and steering control are at the end of their life and are the ones Ford put on at the factory which are not that good to begin with. I'm putting heavy duty Bilstien's on mine next week. I bought them on Amazon at $95.00 each. I'm having it done at a repair shop that works on semi's. Most repair shops can't handle a rig as big as a motorhome. After I get the new shocks, I'll have the front end aligned. I greased the front end myself and it looked like it had been awhile since that had been done.

If you don't have one, buy a caulking gun and some tubes of caulk and go over the whole unit. They may have missed some spots around windows, etc and you don't want any water intrusion. Pay attention to where the body of the coach joins up with the floor and caulk in that area, particularly around the rear wheels. I get a lot of dust in my unit from these areas, but I'm running mine on gravel roads a lot too.

Finally, when you pick the unit up, they should give you a booklet in how to use the unit-itll be the same booklet they give renters. They should also give you some additional paperwork on how to winterize the unit.
As soon as the unit is yours, go camping for a few days. It should have some propane and fresh water in it, but you'll want to add more. By using the camper as soon as you get it, if you find out the a/c doesn't work, for example, you're on firmer ground if you want warranty work done. If you wait two months and something doesn't work, you'll likely hear "well, it was working when you left here."

I purchased the same unit you're looking at and have been very happy with my mine. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me or this forum. If you don't get the information on how to winterize the unit, I can send you a copy of mine.

Best of luck with your purchase!

-Booner

quasimatter

East Bay, SF, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alright - so I joined just to thank you all (and especially IAMICHABOD) for the amazing forum and wealth of information you guys have provided over 131 pages! Reading this eased my worries and encouraged me to buy 2016 28A from CA (which I just drove home today - Yeah IAMICHABOD - up that number [emoticon]).

I also wanted to join to contribute going forward and I will start with my report/insight in buying process.

First of all - I bought a "Pre-refurbished" unit (keeping fingers crossed) AND did not opt for either power-train or coach warranty (AGAIN - keeping fingers crossed). I am bit of a handyman and hope I can handle if anything comes up - and if not, the money saved can be applied to professional repair work.

To make up for taking the above risk - I did go through the unit with a fine tooth comb. And here is my insight (and warning) for that.

Refurbishment takes place in their Mesa location (as told to me by salesperson - so correct me if I am wrong); each location has units that get marked for sale (age/miles) and that's when they have those cheap one way rentals. So to some extent - I think there are additional cost/time related to refurbishment which reflects in about $4000 in price difference. So pre-refurbished models are cheaper but then of course you don't get the "refurbishment" treatment (I was told part of that was the "Majestic Decals" - someone correct me if I am wrong but my RV is plain - no signs no decals, possibly new tires (if needed), possibly new cushion covers, some coach repairs (if needed), any functional unit repairs (again if needed), new batteries (if needed?), and so on).

But here is the trick - if at the time of your purchase - if you go through everything and find things wrong - local location is more than willing to fix all that. This leads to similar (if not better than) refurbishment model. My guess is that there are two sources for these "free" refurbishment (if detected and requested) options 1) They have new parts available for rental unit repairs that they dip into 2) They simply swap with another unit sitting on the parking lot. Latter doesn't cost them anything (and the other unit would be going for refurbishment anyway). This happened with multiple of items missing or worn on our unit [emoticon]

Flip side of this is that you do not want the pre-refurbished unit which might have been scavenged this way. Let it go for full refurbishment [emoticon].

So yeah - we got a lot of things fixed/replaced this way (and a few things which he did the best he could). So keep that in mind - go through EVERYTHING with fine tooth comb and find everything wrong before buying it (if buying per-refurbished).

Now I have one question. Is $995 worth for a installed manual canopy? I have not researched after market so I don't know. If it is worth it cost wise - I can still get it installed.

Thanks again everyone and looking forward to some modifications (will update here).

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/20 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alright! Welcome quasimatter to the Forum and the Former Rental Owners Club. I will up that number,you will officially be #131 [image][/img]

Thanks for the detailed write up and the observations,this will be very helpful to others that are looking to be owners of a Former Rental RV.

This "Pre-refurbished" unit is something new I am seeing and your details of what to look for and have fixed is also very helpful. If I might can I ask which location did you purchase from?

So If I get this right your unit is all White with no decals. Is there any shadowing from the removal of the decals? I know that the refurbished ones are repainted.

As far as the the installation of the of the awning I would have them do it,the price seems to be very competitive and most likely cheaper than other options. In my case having them do it was $200 cheaper than I could find elsewhere.

Again welcome and we will be looking forward to your updates on any mods that you make.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Floridastorm

Orlando

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/20 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Booner wrote:

Floridastorm wrote:

I don't know how much I can help you regarding financing as I paid cash for mine, (Majestic 23A), but why don't you call the CA sales rep. at where you will be buying the unit and ask them these questions? Once you know the answers then you could contact your own banker to compare rates and terms? CA likely does the financing through a third party, and you may be able to get financing at better terms on your own.

They did allow a local inspection service to go over my rig prior to my arrival. I also had the inspection service take samples of the engine and transmision fluids and send them off for testing. Everything was good on my unit, and when I picked it up it was in "rentable" condition. Expect some dings and scratches, you are buying a used vehicle. The fluid annalyse, if it had come back that the engine was in poor condition would have been a deal breaker for me. The inspection service will tell you in what condition they found the coach in (my report was over 100 pages long-vey picture heavy). Again, expect the coach to be in "rental" or serviceable condition. More than likely, they don't have the facilities or parts at the the location your buying from to change out the a/c for example, so it's up to you if you want to accept the unit the way it is. Remember, you are buying the unit "as is." Don't expect them to fix every/any flaw the inspection service may find, but do expect the unit to be in rentable condition.

Their 3 month warranty, as far as I was concerned was for drive train only, that's why I highly suggest you have the fluid samples taken and have their report in hand before you pick the coach up. It's peace of mind to know the engine and transmision are in good condition. If these vehicles have been regularly serviced (and they are,) and you keep that service up, you should get another 3-400,000 miles out of them.

I have not had a reason for any warranty work, nor would I hesitate to recommend a CA formal rental to anyone.

What to expect-
Your buying a used motorhome, it'll have some dings and scratches. It gives the motorhome some character, and you'll add dings and scratches to it too. On the plus side, if you've read the complaints that the buyers of new motorhomes have, you're beyond all that. The things that got screwed up at the factory have long been fixed. More than likely, you'll be working on maintenance items, which every motor home has.

The motor will have fresh oil. They change the oil every 5,000 miles. I recommend you do the same. I am going to have the transmission serviced soon, because I'm annal,not because it needs it. But I want to know that it's been done, and when it was done. If you plan on using the generator much, change it's oil now. And sometime in the near future, change to oil in the rear end. I doubt if that's ever been changed.

The shocks and steering control are at the end of their life and are the ones Ford put on at the factory which are not that good to begin with. I'm putting heavy duty Bilstien's on mine next week. I bought them on Amazon at $95.00 each. I'm having it done at a repair shop that works on semi's. Most repair shops can't handle a rig as big as a motorhome. After I get the new shocks, I'll have the front end aligned. I greased the front end myself and it looked like it had been awhile since that had been done.

If you don't have one, buy a caulking gun and some tubes of caulk and go over the whole unit. They may have missed some spots around windows, etc and you don't want any water intrusion. Pay attention to where the body of the coach joins up with the floor and caulk in that area, particularly around the rear wheels. I get a lot of dust in my unit from these areas, but I'm running mine on gravel roads a lot too.

Finally, when you pick the unit up, they should give you a booklet in how to use the unit-itll be the same booklet they give renters. They should also give you some additional paperwork on how to winterize the unit.
As soon as the unit is yours, go camping for a few days. It should have some propane and fresh water in it, but you'll want to add more. By using the camper as soon as you get it, if you find out the a/c doesn't work, for example, you're on firmer ground if you want warranty work done. If you wait two months and something doesn't work, you'll likely hear "well, it was working when you left here."

I purchased the same unit you're looking at and have been very happy with my mine. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me or this forum. If you don't get the information on how to winterize the unit, I can send you a copy of mine.

Best of luck with your purchase!

-Booner

Thank you sir for a very comprehensive answer. It is most appreciated and helpful, to say the least. And, I will be taking your advice.

In reference to:

"I don't know how much I can help you regarding financing as I paid cash for mine, (Majestic 23A), but why don't you call the CA sales rep. at where you will be buying the unit and ask them these questions? Once you know the answers then you could contact your own banker to compare rates and terms? CA likely does the financing through a third party, and you may be able to get financing at better terms on your own".

The reason that I come on the Open Roads Forum is to get educated opinions from experienced RVers like yourself on a full range of issues before I confront people in the industry who are going to tell me what is best for them and not necessarily what is best for me. I do realize that I can ask these questions from a CA salesperson. But, would rather know beforehand.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 160  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.