Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 160  
Prev  |  Next
calcanrver

Calgary Alberta

New Member

Joined: 04/21/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/23/18 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Sachilles for your response which puts my mind at ease regarding the power of the 23A. You also answered my next question by indicating you plan on pulling your racecar behind it on mountain roads. I don't have a toad and maybe never will but its nice to know it will pull one if I ever need it to.

Also thanks to you Photomike for your response. I will be sure to take it on a good roadtest before making a decision. Did you find that CC did the full refurbishment that they advertise they perform? I am not that mechanically inclined and really wouldn't know what to check for to determine whether the seals are good etc. Would it be a good idea to pay for someone to come and check it over? A previous post a while back said it was not necessary with CC (or maybe it was CA) because of their refurbishment process.

One last comment to Canuck Hauler...I certainly understood your reference to #99. Being from Calgary I hated him...and yet loved his unequaled skill level at the same time. [emoticon]

Harvey51

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 12/11/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/23/18 10:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome CalCanRVer, from a fellow Albertan. I have one of those former Fraserway rentals, a 2004 20 footer on Ford E350 which has served us well. We’ve had some leaks to fix, the cracking Michelin tires that were recalled, a free recall from Ford to fix a bug in their engine emission software. Ten years now and no paying visits to garage or RV shop.

The engine is certainly adequate for our needs. We go to the mountains every year but usually not through them. One trip to Vancouver Island, one in 2016 down to Lake Louise, west on the trans Canada to Revelsoke and south to Nakusp. On the way back we went west of Revelstoke, took a logging road shortcut from Salmon Arm to Little Fort on the Yellowhead, and up to Jasper which was most interesting.

We have no generator and never plug in to shore power since the single 100 watt solar panel with some engine charging is more than adequate for our needs. With a second panel we could power the microwave oven and a TV but we are happy roughing it without those particular devices.

Good luck with your choice. I think good luck comes from taking time to learn how everything works so you can take care of problems that arise. Participating in this forum is really valuable.


2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/23/18 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

calcanrver wrote:

Also thanks to you Photomike for your response. I will be sure to take it on a good roadtest before making a decision. Did you find that CC did the full refurbishment that they advertise they perform? I am not that mechanically inclined and really wouldn't know what to check for to determine whether the seals are good etc. Would it be a good idea to pay for someone to come and check it over? A previous post a while back said it was not necessary with CC (or maybe it was CA) because of their refurbishment process.


From what I found and what my mechanic found checking it a week or so after I got it home the mechanic part was all done, but the house part was lacking. I think the mechanic part was done as they do have to do an out of province inspection before selling it and they do warranty the vehicle part of it for 12 months and if that was not done according to what was suppose to be done that would be an issue. I also think the coach part is a different crew that looks after that. They even put a new rear bumper on it as there was a dent in the old one.

I did take it to my mechanic as soon as I bought it (actually bought it, tossed in some gear and spent a night at Chain Lakes then came home), not because anything stood out but I just wanted piece of mind and wanted to get anything wrong claimed on warranty ASAP. As I mentioned in other posts other than the alignment that was all he found (now that I think about it there was a bulb on the license plate burnt out as well). CC covers some things on the engine but not everything Coverage If you have a mechanic locally that you trust I would run it past him if you are not confident. For a couple hundred bucks you would have an experienced eye to set your mind at ease.


2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

sachilles

Waitsfield VT

New Member

Joined: 01/29/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/24/18 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

calcanrver wrote:



One last comment to Canuck Hauler...I certainly understood your reference to #99. Being from Calgary I hated him...and yet loved his unequaled skill level at the same time. [emoticon]

Off Topic, but you'll appreciate.
My son is 9, and has been playing hockey since he was 3. He had to have jersey 99. Everybody figured it was for Gretzky. Nope, my race car is #66, and so as to not copy me, he wanted his go-kart to be 99. The kart number then translates to hockey.

Back to the RV stuff. Keep in mind, my mountains are big for New England, but they are not the long grades like the rockies, that being said I don't think you'll find an issue. The transmission will hold the gears for a while, so it may rev higher than other automatics you are use to, but that is how it is suppose to function.

Canuck_Hauler

Edmonton

New Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/30/18 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sachilles wrote:

calcanrver wrote:



One last comment to Canuck Hauler...I certainly understood your reference to #99. Being from Calgary I hated him...and yet loved his unequaled skill level at the same time. [emoticon]

Off Topic, but you'll appreciate.
My son is 9, and has been playing hockey since he was 3. He had to have jersey 99. Everybody figured it was for Gretzky. Nope, my race car is #66, and so as to not copy me, he wanted his go-kart to be 99. The kart number then translates to hockey.


#99 is still very much loved up here in Edmonton. We now have Connor McDavid and we still can't get into the playoffs! LOL

As for the RV part, It's coming along nicely and we are now outfitting it with all our goods and I think I'll test all the coach systems completely this week as it's still winterized. I noticed that CC uses an air compressor and not anti freeze in their units, I haven't found all the drains and valves and it looks like I'll have to add in an anti-freeze "T" or learn how to use the air compressor to do it. Any one have tips for me on this one?

Also, underneath where the old decals were is nice and shiny and the older exposed areas are oxidized a fair amount, is it possible to polish the exposed areas up enough so that the old decal outlines are not so noticeable? I'm also working with a decal company and I'm going to remove the Majestic Branding and go with something else, I just haven't decided what graphics to use. The wife and I call the unit "The Rental" as we usually find a name for all of our RV's but I don't want the RV to scream RENTAL to the world. Maybe we should decal it in Oilers colors. [emoticon]

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/30/18 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Canuck_Hauler wrote:

As for the RV part, It's coming along nicely and we are now outfitting it with all our goods and I think I'll test all the coach systems completely this week as it's still winterized. I noticed that CC uses an air compressor and not anti freeze in their units, I haven't found all the drains and valves and it looks like I'll have to add in an anti-freeze "T" or learn how to use the air compressor to do it. Any one have tips for me on this one?

Also, underneath where the old decals were is nice and shiny and the older exposed areas are oxidized a fair amount, is it possible to polish the exposed areas up enough so that the old decal outlines are not so noticeable? I'm also working with a decal company and I'm going to remove the Majestic Branding and go with something else, I just haven't decided what graphics to use. The wife and I call the unit "The Rental" as we usually find a name for all of our RV's but I don't want the RV to scream RENTAL to the world. Maybe we should decal it in Oilers colors. [emoticon]


Look for the water tank, mine had a T inside the cupboard at the water tank. There should be a low point drain towards the rear and back (at least it is on my 19G).

I used a 3m product for boats to polish mine. That helped to smooth out the old and new finish.

Oiler's colors would automatically lower resale [emoticon] [emoticon]

sachilles

Waitsfield VT

New Member

Joined: 01/29/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/30/18 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two weeks in. My only real "issue", is a minor one, the green light indicates that the battery is solar charging does not seem to work. I took out the tamper proof allen screws from the panel, and replaced with standard philips head screws. I found the panel is producing power and gets to the led, but the led doesn't illuminate. Almost looks like someone tried to re-solder the led to the mini circuit board it's on. I don't need the light, but wonder if they sell a replacement board and LED. I swear I read somebody has had the problem recently.

sachilles

Waitsfield VT

New Member

Joined: 01/29/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/01/18 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had seen posts about delayed titles in this thread.
Title arrived yesterday, with spare keys to all locks(ignition/van door, main door, belly lockers). So a two week turnaround time.

justinhscott

Cape Cod

New Member

Joined: 06/14/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/01/18 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Canuck_Hauler wrote:



As for the RV part, It's coming along nicely and we are now outfitting it with all our goods and I think I'll test all the coach systems completely this week as it's still winterized. I noticed that CC uses an air compressor and not anti freeze in their units, I haven't found all the drains and valves and it looks like I'll have to add in an anti-freeze "T" or learn how to use the air compressor to do it. Any one have tips for me on this one?



My lacks at T, so I bought a $20 manual pump to force the pink stuff in. A little slower, a little messy, but easy enough.

Canuck_Hauler

Edmonton

New Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/04/18 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sachilles wrote:

I had seen posts about delayed titles in this thread.
Title arrived yesterday, with spare keys to all locks(ignition/van door, main door, belly lockers). So a two week turnaround time.


I got my 28A on April 6th and still no title yet. I did receive my check for the Airfare though. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 160  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.