cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New window in door The best !

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was going to replace the frosted glass in the door with tinted glass and a new plastic frame, but with the cost of the glass and frame plus shipping I could, for a few bucks more I get this neat window that opens and doesn't have a cheap plastic frame that has to be replaced every few years and it matches the rest of the windows in the RV.

This is the best replacement window yet, the EDWIN by Atwood.
At Easy Windows

Why didn't the MFG put these in to begin with? Instead of the cheezy plastic rimed things?

Privacy glass and it opens, easy install as shown here and looks just like the rest of the windows in the MH.

The frames come in black or white.

(on edit see mine on page 4)
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
76 REPLIES 76

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
My sister had a window made for my brother-in-law. She took a photo of their dog and had it made into a stained glass window for the door. At night it looks cool from the outside and during the day it is really cool with the sun shinging through it.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, replacing the trim around the door window and the exterior stove vent really help a camper look newer.

We did that on our last one and it made a night and day difference. So I'm looking at options for our new one, landed me back here ๐Ÿ˜‰

Whatever solution you use, replacing the trim makes a BIG difference.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
After seeing all of you doing this mod I pulled my glass and got it measured. exactly 12 7/16" x 21 7/16" and 1/8" thick. Had a local glass place order grey tempered glass and 2 weeks and $35 cdn later voila. Great mod and have done it for other camping friends also.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
jolooote wrote:
This is all well & good BUT ... Please read my initial post. I have the newer style FLUSH mount windows. They don't have a outside frame.

Your initial post is in the Class A forum and not this one There is no way for the members here to know what you posted unless you provide a link to it in the Class A forum.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
This is all well & good BUT ... Please read my initial post. I have the newer style FLUSH mount windows. They don't have a outside frame.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Why the people don't cut a dark glass at the glass place and finish the job a lot cheaper.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Ok the window showed up yesterday , so today I installed it.
Not sure how many read my little rant about the fit/finish and call into Atwood customer tech support which was a joke. Before I deleted it and asked Admin to remove the post.

After just saying screw it I went ahead and put it in and tightened up all the screws without deforming/stripping the screws to suck the window/weatherstrip in.
It turned ok , I can see a little of the insulation 1/8 - 1/4 inch gap from inside. But overall looks nice !
Now the instructions that came with it says nothing about putting a bead of caulking around the outside lip of the window.
But online instructions says to put a bead of caulking around it.
Did anybody else do that ? It appears that the weatherstrip sealed it up nice.

thedoghouse
Explorer
Explorer
Nuke-E wrote:
I really like this idea--here's my question: What would prevent someone from using a regular RV window in the door? Is there something special about it other than size? Right now I don't have a window in the door at all (though I have one of the cheap windows that was given to me laying around), so size really doesn't matter. Thoughts?

That's exactly what I did. Purchased window from EBAY and it works perfect.
2008 Holiday Rambler Presidential Suite 36 RLT
2011 Ford F350 CC DRW B&W Companion

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
It won't be that long until you get to. I had panicked in the past due to that shipping time. That time is based on a custom built window, but the Edwin windows are built, in stock, and ready to ship. I would give it a week.

The windows holds up as well as any of the aluminum framed windows- will outlast the door ๐Ÿ™‚
-- Chris Bryant

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Ok was looking at older DIY posts and came across this one , thought I'd jump on the band wagon and do the window kit replacement too.
The outside plastic trim has a crack in it so figured this would be a good way to fix it.
How long once you ordered the window kit did it take to get it ?
I went ahead and placed an order on one tonight, maybe should have waited till Monday and called , but nowhere did it say how long to get until of coarse I went through and ordered it. delivery 4-6 weeks dang it !

Since this is an old post how has the new widow install held up ?
Hopefully no new rattles with it now being able to open up ?

Hunter11
Explorer
Explorer
Most all doors are the same,if your plastic frame is that size then it will fit.If you will look at the Install pictures in the first post you will see that the hole is of the size needed for the window.

Not only have I installed mine,I'm the OP, I have helped on a few others and have had no problem at all.

I kind of figured they would all be a standard size. We are going to order one in a couple of weeks when we get back at our site.
2017 Chevrolet 3500 4DR LTZ DRW LWB 4X4 D/A
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4DR
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hunter11 wrote:
For those that have installed this window I am assuming most all door windows are a standard size. I emailed Sue about the window fitment and she said "The window will fit if the hole size is 15 x 24". I am seeing most standard window openings showing 12 X 21. The plastic window frame around ours right now measures 15 X 24 so by her email I am unsure it will fit our window opening. I would think since it fits most others on here it would fit ours but don't want to order it and find out it won't.

Most all doors are the same,if your plastic frame is that size then it will fit.If you will look at the Install pictures in the first post you will see that the hole is of the size needed for the window.

Not only have I installed mine,I'm the OP, I have helped on a few others and have had no problem at all.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not able to look at mine right now. If the interior trim has screws, and I'm 99% sure it should, just remove them, take off the trim, and measure the opening. Take care to not let the window fall out of the exterior side while this is going on. It's as simple as that.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Hunter11
Explorer
Explorer
For those that have installed this window I am assuming most all door windows are a standard size. I emailed Sue about the window fitment and she said "The window will fit if the hole size is 15 x 24". I am seeing most standard window openings showing 12 X 21. The plastic window frame around ours right now measures 15 X 24 so by her email I am unsure it will fit our window opening. I would think since it fits most others on here it would fit ours but don't want to order it and find out it won't.
2017 Chevrolet 3500 4DR LTZ DRW LWB 4X4 D/A
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4DR
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 36RSSB3