Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Chevrolet Based Class C *UPDATED AGAIN*
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Chevrolet Based Class C *UPDATED AGAIN*

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 23  
Prev  |  Next
carolina skies

Morehead City, NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 11:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what we understand, the Chevy tends to cost more from the very beginning, so the dealers want their lots stocked with the lower priced option(Ford). We love our '08 Gulfstream/Conquest BTouring Cruiser with the Chevy 6.0 liter V8. We have not yet driven in mountains higher than in VA, WV and PA, but even towing our CRV we average 10-11mpg. as long as we manage our speed sensibly. Safe travels!

snowdance

State of Jefferson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 04:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been looking at new Class C motorhomes. We have found some of the Companys are listing Chevy in the extra's with 2nd AC and TVs ect.

Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

Turner, P

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had both the Chevy and the Ford. The Chevy was in a 2006 Four Winds 29'. It felt underpowered and the suspension was mushy. Felt like it was floating. The gas mileage was close to 10 gpm overall. I have a 32' Coachmen Leprachaun (2008)now with the E-450. It has more power and rides better. It does have the air bag suspension that the Four Winds did not. The gas mileage is close to 9 overall. I have not noticed a heat issue and my DW has not said anything. There is more foot room in the Chevrolet than the Ford.

I would have never considered a toad with the Chevrolet but I am thinking about it with the Ford. All in all, I like the Ford better but of course that is my my opinion.

Paul T

JTCHess

Woodbridge, VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carolina, we ordered our unit new and the Chevy chassis was discounted $600 vice a Ford chassis. I'd lke to know how you're getting double diget mileage numbers, expecially towing a CRV. The absolute best I've ever gotton was 8.3 mpg and that was towing nothing doing about 60 on the intersate.

2008 Winnebago 31C Outlook, Chevy Chassis

gerrym51

unknown

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chevy is currently making a push for more class c business. they have lowerd their 4500 chassis price. I got this from a Forest River rep.

I noticed at thor rv(fourwinds) etc on their updated website that they seem to be offering all models ford or chevy 4500.

I think this is because the long term prognosis for ford chassis is unknown because of the transit van conversion.

before you say ford will never stop making chassis-remember the economics of rv chassis were tied into the total e-series van numbers.

it may not be ecomnomical for ford to run a plant for just rv chassis.

i think rv manufacturers are now hedging their bets. I don't think a transit chassis can take the heavy weight of big c.

* This post was edited 08/09/12 07:04am by gerrym51 *

wandering mike

Someplace in North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Coachmen 22 (99) with a Chevy, whatever the biggest engine is. 8.5 to 9 mpg. It pulls more than fine. I have pulled a Mazda Miata toad with zero problems up and down mountains all over the country. Don't even notice it is there (but a max weight of about 2500 lbs). The one issue that I have noticed is that the Chevy's "words" seem to limit towing to a hitch with a towing max of 3500 pounds while the Fords go to 5000 lbs. I figure that is either a difference in the frame rating or, and perhaps more likely, the "risk aversion" level of the lawyers at GM vs. Ford.

Wandering Mike
My AbueloLoco Blog

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Somebody posted specs awhile ago with the dimensions of the frames and the thickness and tensile rating of the steel. AT THE TIME (because it did not include the new GM 4500), Chevy was the weakest, E450 the strongest, E350 in between.
Not that we ever should, but I've heard: "You can overload a Ford but never overload a Chevy."

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

RvBill3

Collinsville, IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Chevy is the new 4500. It has a 5000 lb. Capacity hitch. I have not towed anything yet, but I am very pleased with power, handling, leg room and everything else.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy

gerrym51

unknown

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford e-450 14,500 chevy 4500 14,200

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forest River seems to be using 450/4500 chassis under most of their units, even the smaller ones. Good for them.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 23  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Chevrolet Based Class C *UPDATED AGAIN*
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.