Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Chevrolet Based Class C *UPDATED AGAIN*
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Chevrolet Based Class C *UPDATED AGAIN*

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 23  
Prev  |  Next
wandering mike

Someplace in North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mine was the 3500 not the 4500. I would go with bigger if that was the choice then. Still happy with the 3500

Wandering Mike
My AbueloLoco Blog

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finally Fulltiming wrote:

Sounds like you've explored the topic & already decided - so buy the Chevy.

I did!! And didn't have to rebuild the front end after 19000 miles [emoticon]

* This post was edited 07/13/15 08:42am by IAMICHABOD *

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 10:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think the E350/E450 is going anywhere anytime soon. The Transits are doing a van first, then after the EcoBoost gets torture tested and bugs hammered out, Ford will then actually put out T-xxx series models that can be used for Cs and As.

Plus, what would a RV maker gain from moving to a new chassis right now? When the Transits hit with their 25% better fuel economy and a choice of gas or diesel engines, there will be a lot more demand for that than a previous-generation chassis technology which the Chevies will be on. If RV makers make the jump to retool molds and such, they would want only to jump forward in generations, not just from blue oval to bowtie.

snowdance

State of Jefferson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/12 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The thing about RV makers is they are building and then putting them out there to sell. They have spent their money and now need a return. They will keep building on the cheapest thing they can. That is the only way to make money. Some custom builders will start using newer stuff when it comes out. So I would not think we will see any big changes for some time.

Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

gerrym51

unknown

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mlts22 wrote:

I don't think the E350/E450 is going anywhere anytime soon. The Transits are doing a van first, then after the EcoBoost gets torture tested and bugs hammered out, Ford will then actually put out T-xxx series models that can be used for Cs and As.

Plus, what would a RV maker gain from moving to a new chassis right now? When the Transits hit with their 25% better fuel economy and a choice of gas or diesel engines, there will be a lot more demand for that than a previous-generation chassis technology which the Chevies will be on. If RV makers make the jump to retool molds and such, they would want only to jump forward in generations, not just from blue oval to bowtie.

everything you say may be true. but according to a forest river rep-ford says the e-series is not going away quickly but won't say if they will be forever building rv chassis. the point is the rv c makers need a chassis that can do the big c's. the transit/sprinter can't handle the weight.thats why the move to offering more chevy 4500 chassis

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gerrym51 wrote:

i think rv manufacturers are now hedging their bets. I don't think a transit chassis can take the heavy weight of big c.

Correct they are lighter than the Sprinter. That is why they use the IVECO heavier than the Sprinter and Isuzu Light Truck(As almost as heavy as a Ford F53 RV Chassis,i.e Coachman Mirada Class A)

Deleted-3

East Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Phil Here, I will say it over and over again.
My 2002 24 Ft. Dutchman Class C with a Ford V10 gave my 8 to 9 Mpg.
My 2004 22 Ft. Minnie Winnie Class C with a Chevy 6.0 V8 now gives me 10 to 11 Mpg. and it handles like a sports car. Three more miles per gallon sure makes it bearable on a three to four thousand mile road trip................................

2004 22 FT. Minnie Winnie 6.0 V8 Phil Justice

mumkin

Chaska, MN/Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PJUSTICE2650 wrote:

Phil Here, I will say it over and over again.
My 2002 24 Ft. Dutchman Class C with a Ford V10 gave my 8 to 9 Mpg.
My 2004 22 Ft. Minnie Winnie Class C with a Chevy 6.0 V8 now gives me 10 to 11 Mpg. and it handles like a sports car. Three more miles per gallon sure makes it bearable on a three to four thousand mile road trip................................

2004 22 FT. Minnie Winnie 6.0 V8 Phil Justice

And I do even better. With my 25 ft Chevy C, I have averaged 12.5 mph over three long trips... mountains and flat. I don't tow, but it is rated to tow 5000 lbs.

Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

wandering mike

Someplace in North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/12 03:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I am pleased with my Chevy based 1999 Coachmen C 22 foot RV, my 7.4 liter engine has, over the past 6 years that I have owned it, at best achieved about 9.4 mpg. Usual is about 9. If towing my Miata, the MPG drops to about 8.5. This is based on about 50,000 miles of driving using mostly "non-ethanol" gas and the normal cross country driving encountered in living "most time" in the rig and rarely driving over 55 or so.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/12 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the input Guys and Gals. It seems that the Chevy has it all over the Fords in gas mileage and ride Quality.At least from all of the posts so far.

All I still seem to see on the forum is about Fords wandering ways,and how many hundreds of dollars to fix them.And keep them that way.

The only thing I have done to mine (A Chevy) is put Bilstiens on, because after 92000 miles the original ones were getting a bit worn.

It corners more like a sports car now than before and does not porpuse on the whoop de doos on the fwy.

Other than that I have had no problems. If anyone has had any other problems with the Chevy based Class C I hope you will share so we can do some preventave measures.

* This post was edited 08/12/12 06:00pm by IAMICHABOD *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 23  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Chevrolet Based Class C *UPDATED AGAIN*
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.