cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enduramax Toy Haulers: Any Reviews or Feedback?

miboje
Explorer
Explorer
After much research on toy haulers, I am narrowing in on just a handful of choices for us. One of them is the Enduramax by Gulf Stream. My fiance really likes the foam insulation over fiberglass on this one. I've read about consumer complaints on them, but unfortunately you'll find complaints on all manufactuerres. That's a shame, really. Seems like many issues could be resolved if the factory did extensive, full testing before units left the facility. If that is happening, there shouldn't be so many problems with units right off the bat.

Anyhow, I haven't found a lot of reviews on this one on the web, so I thought I would ask here. If you own, have owned or know someone who does own one, what can you tell us? I wouldn't be buying anything less than a 2009 model, and I'm not even sure they were using the foam insulation at that time.

I am interested specifically in how well the unit performs in extreme temps with the foam insulation, build quality, and/or any major problems. We love the Atrium window (we wonder if it's problematic, though) and the floor plan with the step up kitchen, but we haven't been inside any Enduramax yet.

Your time and input is greatly appreciated.
18 REPLIES 18

fishwhiz
Explorer
Explorer
lonnie2245 wrote:
We purchased a 2012 395 Toy Hauler last January 2013 we have had nothing but trouble with this unit from the start. We took it out the first time in Feb.the tub leaked in the storage compartment, the sink leaked got the floor wet, The motor in one of the sldeouts broke.Had to take it back to dealer several times and it is now October 2013 it is back at dealer with the tub still leaking, the generator will not run if both A/C's our on and I try to use the microwave.One of the slides had so many staples on the inside rail it was ripping the gasket.I am so over all the issues I wish we had never picked this unit to buy.I would not advise anyone to purchase a Enduramax toy hauler.

Lonnie, either your post is confusing to me or you are confused. You tell us all about problems you had to a keystone 395, then you advise us not to buy an enduramax... so which one did you actually have trouble with?

dodgboy
Explorer
Explorer
We got a 2009 new. It has been a great hauler. Yes there were a few minor things but it is built solid. We contacted the Gulfstream before we bought it becuase there are no dealers out here and they let us use whoever we wanted for warranty work.
2005 Dodge 2500 4X4 Cummins, BD Exhaust Brake, Edge Juice W/ Attitude, Banks Technicooler.
2009 Enduramax G-Force 3105 Toy Hauler
2012 Polaris RZR XP 4 900
1993 Geo Tracker
2004 Honda TRX 450R

lonnie2245
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2012 395 Toy Hauler last January 2013 we have had nothing but trouble with this unit from the start. We took it out the first time in Feb.the tub leaked in the storage compartment, the sink leaked got the floor wet, The motor in one of the sldeouts broke.Had to take it back to dealer several times and it is now October 2013 it is back at dealer with the tub still leaking, the generator will not run if both A/C's our on and I try to use the microwave.One of the slides had so many staples on the inside rail it was ripping the gasket.I am so over all the issues I wish we had never picked this unit to buy.I would not advise anyone to purchase a Enduramax toy hauler.

miboje
Explorer
Explorer
remoandiris wrote:
miboje wrote:
Have you been going to the RV shows? Seeing the floor plan in person is the idea.

Only show I've been to was the GS rally in Daytona a few weeks ago. There will be another show in Orlando and a few months. Will likely go to that. I am in no hurry.

In another thread on this forum, a member inserted a few layouts from different manufacturers. One now model has an 18' garage!

Whew! Eighteen foot garage?! That's a lot of living space to lose to the garage, unless the living space opens into the garage. The Fuzion has at least one floor plan that opens the living space into the garage, too.

At least you can go to an RV show and look around without a salesperson following you around.

I think it's best to not be in a hurry. It's such an important and expensive decision to make, and too many folks don't do their homework before buying. We're not in a hurry, either. Hopefully we're ready to purchase by next fall, and hopefully I've compiled all the research and feedback I need to make a final decision. I bet it's going to take me that long to figure something out, too. :>(

remoandiris
Explorer
Explorer
miboje wrote:
Have you been going to the RV shows? Seeing the floor plan in person is the idea.

Only show I've been to was the GS rally in Daytona a few weeks ago. There will be another show in Orlando and a few months. Will likely go to that. I am in no hurry.

In another thread on this forum, a member inserted a few layouts from different manufacturers. One now model has an 18' garage!
2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon

Securiti
Explorer
Explorer
Wanted to add I have been living in mine sence last winter. The only note I would like to add is dont think you are going to use just electric heaters to keep it warm to save on propane. You will need to use the furnace because the furnace is what helps keep the under belly warm. Electric heaters will keep the chill off it. But it seems I have to put furnace on at -20. Or water line freezes.
Pictures of all
1996 Dodge 3500
4.88 Gears
GearVender Transmission
Extra 115 Gal Fuel tank
Banks Power Kit
K&N Air filter
5 Inch Exhaust
2007 Wide Open Endura Max

kevin.emerick@facebook.com

miboje
Explorer
Explorer
remoandiris wrote:
miboje wrote:
remoandiris wrote:
miboje wrote:
but the one with the raised kitchen would be my preference.You say you did not like that one at all. Can you elaborate on why?

I simply didn't like the idea of going up and down the stairs to get anything out of the fridge. I considered how often my wife or I would go to the kitchen. It is definitely more often than we go into the bedroom. Up and down the stairs would become a PITA for us.

FYI, when the kitchen slide is closed, you cannot get into the fridge. Not sure if that matters to you or not. Think about how often you would want to get into the fridge while on the road...pull off at a rest area, make a sandwich, etc. To me it would not be an issue.

I don't know if the other Enduramax floorplans have a fireplace. That may be an option only with the upper kitchen models.

I think the atrium room is gorgeous.

I see. I don't think the steps will bother us, but I can see it could be a problem for some.

You do make a good point about getting to food and the bathroom while on the road. We could bypass that by getting the model with a half bath (which I'd prefer anyhow) in the garage and carrying food in a cooler for long trips.

I SO want to see that atrium in person! I wonder if the pics really do it justice. :>)

Getting to the bathroom with the slide closed is no problem. there is a door at the top of the kitchen landing that goes into the john.

The atrium windows on the web site are likely nicer than just about anything you'll see thru them. It is all about the marketing.

If/when I buy a TH, it'll likely be a Voltage or Seismic. Seeing the floorplan I want before I buy is the biggest problem I've encountered. I am VERY reluctant to order without seeing one first. Maybe I'll have to take a trip to Indiana where more vendors are located.

Yes, you are right about that bathroom now that you mention it.

Lol....yes, that setting certainly makes a difference, doesn't it? :>)

I agree. Have you been going to the RV shows? Seeing the floor plan in person is the idea. We went to the Hershey, PA RV show this fall, and it was really nice to walk through and get a real feel for the floorplan. I'm looking forward to another RV show a bit closer to home in January in Allentown, PA. Brrr....hope it's all inside, and I hope a dealer brings this Enduramax floor plan! Plus, we're also considering the Heartland Cyclone and Road Warrior.

remoandiris
Explorer
Explorer
miboje wrote:
remoandiris wrote:
miboje wrote:
but the one with the raised kitchen would be my preference.You say you did not like that one at all. Can you elaborate on why?

I simply didn't like the idea of going up and down the stairs to get anything out of the fridge. I considered how often my wife or I would go to the kitchen. It is definitely more often than we go into the bedroom. Up and down the stairs would become a PITA for us.

FYI, when the kitchen slide is closed, you cannot get into the fridge. Not sure if that matters to you or not. Think about how often you would want to get into the fridge while on the road...pull off at a rest area, make a sandwich, etc. To me it would not be an issue.

I don't know if the other Enduramax floorplans have a fireplace. That may be an option only with the upper kitchen models.

I see. I don't think the steps will bother us, but I can see it could be a problem for some.

You do make a good point about getting to food and the bathroom while on the road. We could bypass that by getting the model with a half bath (which I'd prefer anyhow) in the garage and carrying food in a cooler for long trips.

I SO want to see that atrium in person! I wonder if the pics really do it justice. :>)

Getting to the bathroom with the slide closed is no problem. there is a door at the top of the kitchen landing that goes into the john.

The atrium windows on the web site are likely nicer than just about anything you'll see thru them. It is all about the marketing.

If/when I buy a TH, it'll likely be a Voltage or Seismic. Seeing the floorplan I want before I buy is the biggest problem I've encountered. I am VERY reluctant to order without seeing one first. Maybe I'll have to take a trip to Indiana where more vendors are located.
2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon

miboje
Explorer
Explorer
remoandiris wrote:
miboje wrote:

miboje
Explorer
Explorer
glamisorbust wrote:
My local RV dealer tells me not to touch gulf stream with a 10 foot pole. They tell me their service is horrible, and customer service even worse.

Thank you for the input. I'd be just a little leery of anything my dealer told me if they sell other brands, but I can say that I've found plenty of reports of problems and the lack of support by GS.

That's a real problem. All but one of the handful of RVs that would fit my requirements have bad reports on them regarding major problems. The last thing we want an expensive lemon and lack of support from the dealer and manufacturer. Yet, there are so many horror stories that it makes me afraid to buy anything!

The only one I didn't find several reported problems on was the FR XLR Thunderbolt. That could be because it just came out in 2011, though. But there are plenty of complains regarding FR across the board.

miboje
Explorer
Explorer
jetboater454 wrote:
I got an '07,built better than most TH,heavy though with the double frame.Never had it in for any service,but I guess if you needed parts you can get most online. Pics are in my sig.You need to click on the "show library" on the left side.
I do like the walk on roof,great for races with 4-people,but we don't use the high quality side ladder though.:B
One major advantage is the 20" high ramp door,the gentle ramp slope is nice to load things with.
Mine has the foam insulation.

Thank you for replying.

Do you know the R-values for the insulation in your 2007 model? Currently, they are quoting R-12 for the walls, R-28 for the roof and R-32 for the floor. Do you camp in cold and/or hot temps? How well do you feel the insulation is protecting you from the heat and cold, if you camp during extreme temps?

I do like certain aspects of the foam insulation. It certainly adds rigidity and strength that fiberglass cannot. It would be harder for wind to get through foam over fiberglass (assuming it's sealed around the edges-maybe it's not), for example, and I can see how foam would stop convection loss better than fiberglass since it's not permeable. But I'm still having a hard time thinking that the performance of foam at those R-values could be equal to or better than, say, the FR XlR Thunderbolt's R-40 values or Open Range's R-38 values. I wish there was more research on this. And I'm surprised that Gulf Stream hasn't conducted their own testing related to extreme temps performance. Heartland, as an example, makes claims regarding their insulation's performance. They do use foam. Their R-values are a bit less than in the Enduramax.

Securiti
Explorer
Explorer
X2 what Jetboater said. I have just had little problems here and there.
Pictures of all
1996 Dodge 3500
4.88 Gears
GearVender Transmission
Extra 115 Gal Fuel tank
Banks Power Kit
K&N Air filter
5 Inch Exhaust
2007 Wide Open Endura Max

kevin.emerick@facebook.com

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
I got an '07,built better than most TH,heavy though with the double frame.Never had it in for any service,but I guess if you needed parts you can get most online. Pics are in my sig.You need to click on the "show library" on the left side.
I do like the walk on roof,great for races with 4-people,but we don't use the high quality side ladder though.:B
One major advantage is the 20" high ramp door,the gentle ramp slope is nice to load things with.
Mine has the foam insulation.
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

glamisorbust
Explorer
Explorer
My local RV dealer tells me not to touch gulf stream with a 10 foot pole. They tell me their service is horrible, and customer service even worse.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38'. Cummins ISB 275, allison 3060.
Toys pulled: 22x8.5 open deck PJ flatbed. 5200# axles. Sand car with ecotec engine. Multiple 1980's ATC's(3 wheelers). We're duners!