Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What mistakes have you made that might help others...?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What mistakes have you made that might help others...?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next
ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/18 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not buy gold when it was $40 an ounce.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/18 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This will sound cynical, but it is clear that on this forum nobody wants to learn form other's mistakes. When you try to share your experiences you are called "weight police" or "safety nazi" of some other derogatory term.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/18 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the above labels depend on whether you are lecturing someone about their setup or criticizing your own.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/18 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Believe me, I am criticizing my own screw-up as learned through SoHK (school of hard knocks)... hence the title of the thread.

Even thought though this in an RV topic, I agree with the gold statement (silver, though is on sale[emoticon]

Old Islander

British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/18 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When buying a used RV, take off your shoes and carefully shuffle around, testing every square inch of the entire floor. Didn't do that with our last used camper purchase, and found the soft spot the first night we stayed in it. Now I'm looking at cutting it out, replacing the supports beneath, replacing at the very least, that section of sub-floor, and a new linoleum floor for the entire camper.

* This post was edited 04/03/18 01:53pm by Old Islander *

Travels with Yoly

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/18 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

run100 wrote:

If you purchase a camper that comes with a brand new sewer hose, don't assume the clamp that holds the hose on the connector is fully tightened. If you make this mistake, the hose may pop off as soon as you pull the black tank valve.

Now, why would I mention such a thing??? Oh yes - the horror of horrors!

Words to live by [emoticon]

mikakuja

Chilliwack BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/18 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be sure to remove the sink covers when hooking up to city water, just in case the tap happens to be in the on position..... Don't ask me how I know this, but water doesn't go down the drain when the cover is over the sink....[emoticon]

Bob B

Central Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/18 10:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you pump in RV antifreeze ... make sure the drain valves are closed so the antifreeze doesn't just run right out onto the ground.

2007 Lance 1181, 2013 Chevy 3500 DRW

snwbdr94

Minneapolis

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/18 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

d3500ram wrote:

I should have removed it when it was new and pliable because now it has dried and aged on the surface and it is now quite difficult to remove. I am using hot soapy water and a plastic spatula to gently scrape the film that is sorta' fused to the window. I can do it, but it will take a lot of patient time.

You have likely already finished this process, but a hair dryer would have helped peel that up. That also goes for any adhesive that is a pain to remove.

spudthegreater

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/18 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

run100 wrote:

If you purchase a camper that comes with a brand new sewer hose, don't assume the clamp that holds the hose on the connector is fully tightened. If you make this mistake, the hose may pop off as soon as you pull the black tank valve.

Now, why would I mention such a thing??? Oh yes - the horror of horrors!

I was a crew chief for a Kc-135 crew, and our waste system is remarkably similar to that of an RV. the big difference is you have two people doing it, one below putting the drain hose in the trailer tank and the guy above connecting the hose and releasing the valve. Well, you darn better know what your doing above and below and communicate well before you pull that valve open to the guy 15 ft below whos about to get the full load coming his way. One day the inevitable happened, One crew wasn't communicating and the guy below hadn't grabbed the hose and placed it in the tank before the other guy pulled open the valve. The guy below waste literally bathed in **** head to toe. I always remembered that and have never made that mistake. I almost think duct taping the connection once its on is not a bad practice.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What mistakes have you made that might help others...?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.