Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Adding a second battery?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Adding a second battery?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Tiggs

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/13 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just picked up two 6V CG2 Duracell Golf Car batteries at Sam's club. They were $89 plus tax. I did have to pay a $15 core charge for each battery but I can bring in two old batteries and get the core charge back.

Now I need a battery box or boxes to fit on the tongue ;-)

Carolyn

2011 Funfinder X210-WBS
2013 Chevy Express 3500 - 6.0L V8, 6 speed trans.
Wolfhounds Duan, Vonnie, Cadhla, Sebastian and wee puppy MoonPie
And not to be forgotten, litte red terrier, Ozzy, the dog "Down Under"

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/13 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tiggs wrote:

I just picked up two 6V CG2 Duracell Golf Car batteries at Sam's club. They were $89 plus tax. I did have to pay a $15 core charge for each battery but I can bring in two old batteries and get the core charge back.

Now I need a battery box or boxes to fit on the tongue ;-)

Battery box for GC2 batteries

Another one.

Another one.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicle was 2016 Ram 2500 CTD

thehippie

United States

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/18 11:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PapPappy wrote:

I think you misunderstand what a 6-volt system is.....it's two 6-volt batteries that are wired in Series, to create 12VDC. Because of the larger size plates and such in the 6-V battery, you will get a longer life from it, but you could also just wire two 12V batteries in Parallel, which would double your service life from them.

Try to keep the batteries about the same size and age....or the smaller, older (weaker) battery will drain down, and be useless.

Depending on the age of the 12V battery you have, and if you could use it for something else, I'd probably go for a pair of 6V batteries in it's place.

But, there are also some folks, who feel that you should stick with 12V batteries, because, if you have a failure of one of those 6V batteries, you are out of business....at least with just one 12V battery, you can still limp home, or stay another day![emoticon]

Read up on how batteries can be wired together....parallel vs. Series, so that you understand the operation before you do anything....or ask a friend who knows these things, to help you.

On edit, I guess we were typing at the same time[emoticon]
Anyway, if you have the 6V batteries, you don't have to worry about your inverter...you would just wire it up to the both batteries to get the 12VDC connection from them (with batteries wired in Series).
Hope that helps.

In your current situation, I'd just get another 12V battery that is the same size as what you currently have, and wire it in parallel.[emoticon]

Good Luck[emoticon]
Two batteries needs to be at the same age. But what if the first battery is only about two weeks older and you want to
Add a 2nd battery to parallel? Is 2 weeks ok or not at all?

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/18 02:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thehippie wrote:

Two batteries needs to be at the same age. But what if the first battery is only about two weeks older and you want to

if it's the same battery, brand and model, then you should be fine.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

thehippie

United States

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/18 03:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

thehippie wrote:

yeah everything the same except 2 weeks apart

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/18 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tiggs wrote:

I just picked up two 6V CG2 Duracell Golf Car batteries at Sam's club.....

This battery is rated at 215 AH at 6 volts. That is equivalent to 108 AH at 12 volts. So for two batteries you have 215 AH at 12 volts. If you discharge to 50 percent, you can use 108 AH.

You mentioned pulling 10 amps for a TV and other uses. That will give you about 10 hours of use.

You mentioned draining your previous battery a couple of times and thought that was no big deal. I would recommend you never drain your batteries. Draining batteries even once seems to greatly shorten battery life. You need to monitor battery bank voltage during use. If you are pulling 10 amps you can drop the volts down to about 12.0. With no load you can drop to about 12.2. I would not go lower on a routine basis.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/18 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We put four Interstate GC2s in the Sahara and I also added another 100 watts of solar for a total of 200 watts. I could use another 200 watts of solar, but maybe next year.

The idea was to not be forced into expensive FHU campgrounds for every stop on our next trip which will be 3 months out west. The 4 RV/marine "deep cycle" batteries I replace were shot and wouldn't even last the night if the furnace was on. With my new setup, we can go 3 days without hookups, running the generator once or twice for a couple of hours (mostly for the hair dryer [emoticon] ).

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

JaneSiver

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/18 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

thehippie wrote:

Yes,i personally testing it week ago,you definitely should be fine with that.Just get same models,not necessarily a brand!
I was test batteries for my hair dryer and rest of stuff.

* This post was edited 06/06/18 01:16pm by JaneSiver *

Sillybugs2

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/18 10:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our two batteries that came with tt do fine if we charge 2 hours with gennie on ecomode. Never get below 1/2 usuallyy more beforewe charge tt and electric boat motor jWe have led lights and use tt when dry camping like a tent except fridge. Went 10 days last week all good.kk

2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/18 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Biggest problem with 2 12V batteries in parallel is it's hard to find true deep cycle 12V batteries. And they are much more expensive than a 6V golf cart battery.

The so called "deep cycle" battery the dealer puts in a trailer (usually a Group 24) is not a true deep cycle battery.
It's a hybrid or marine deep cycle battery. It combines some of the attributes of a deep cycle battery with some of the attributes of a starter battery.

That's why I pulled the 12V Group 24 battery in my trailer and replaced it with a pair of GC 6V batteries which are true deep cycle batteries.

Tiggs wrote:

I do understand 12v = two 6 volts wired in series. I do get it. I've already done some wiring to power the 12V exhaust fan I installed in the roof of my conversion van doing just that. I've also run 12 power to various points to power other 12V aux. fans when I must leave the dogs in the van without the motor running. I've also replaced the TV with a microwave and wired the van for 120 amp service to it and 4 plugs so I do understand enough to get by.

What I'm trying to decide is if I would be better off to go with two 12 volts wired in parallel or two 6 volts wired in series. I was hoping for an explanation of why, as Matt has touched on, the 6 volt batteries are a better choice. Economically, it would seem to be adding a second 12V would have been the better choice short term, but long term I think, as Matt suggested, 6 volt golf cart batteries or similiar are the way to go.

Carolyn

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
www.thetravelingkoala.blogspot.com
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Adding a second battery?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS