Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: The Emotions in a TC
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > The Emotions in a TC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
run100

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 05/23/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/20/21 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Emotions attached to a truck camper? Definitely!

It's certainly easy to get wooed by the elaborate space and amenities found in the larger RV's. However, at the end of the day, the limitations due to the additional size keep us thrilled to own a truck camper!

We use our TC all the time and even for running errands around town. Having the bathroom, dinette and food available at our fingertips, makes longer shopping days so much easier and more relaxed. Sometimes, like last weekend, we brew some morning coffee and go out for a pre-sunrise joy ride. Then, if the mood hits us, we may find a scenic park and go for a walk, or just sit at the dinette and enjoy a nice conversation - mom & dad bonding time!

Yup! Can't beat a truck camper. We're emotionally attached!


2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2003

View Profile



Posted: 02/20/21 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Im probably the opposit, I have a 40 foot 5th wheel that I take all over the place , boondock, campground etc. but I did buy an older camper as a secondary unit. there are some places we like to go with friends that are old loging roads with just hole in the bush sites that I could get the 5th up there but only 2 out of the 30 sites are big enough so its a gamble. with the camper thats not a worry. but the main reason we got it was for when I go back to the island to visit, the 5th wheel costs about 750.00 return for the ferry, where the camper costs me about 200.00 (12 bucks more than a car) aand I use it if it is just me and the dog, depending where I am going. but for all our family trips its all the 5th wheel. more space for bad days, more room for the dog, more storage for food, way bigger fridge, a real shower in the bathroom, a radio lol, thats my next project to add to the camper .

Steve


2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

SpknTC

Pacific Northwest, Wa.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/22/2007

View Profile



Posted: 02/20/21 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

I'll be loading it up again this next week.


Ford F450 6.7L PSD DRW 4X4
Arctic Fox 865


notsobigjoe

southeast

Senior Member

Joined: 09/15/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/21/21 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are ready to move on after 33 years in three different truck campers. We have outgrown the small size and the uncomfortable booth. I have done everything you can imagine to my Lance under the sun to make it more livable but to no avail. The only thing I have not added to it is theater seating. I was seriously considering it before our last trip down to Marathon key. It was cold in the keys and not a very good time was had by the two of us. Didn't do any fishing or anything that we usually do down there because of the weather. We ate a lot!!! The Lance has been a wonder to us now for 12 years, oh the times we had in it. It was such an upgrade to the coachman ranger that is was like a hotel. I believe that upgrade time has come again. We have never been boon docking or anything adventurous like that outside the RV resorts. Emotionally we are upset about it but time passes. We have been looking at travel trailers for a couple of weeks and boy are they beautiful but pieces of junk. We'll have to go used to get a better quality unit. This was a fantastic thread. Thanks to all the contributors. Joe

run100

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 05/23/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/22/21 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SpknTC wrote:

So I've come full circle and couldn't be happier!!! I love everything about truck campers!

Here's a few pics... enjoy!!


[image]


We have a photo of our truck & camper in that same exact spot!

SpknTC

Pacific Northwest, Wa.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/22/2007

View Profile



Posted: 03/16/21 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

notsobigjoe wrote:

My wife and I are ready to move on after 33 years in three different truck campers. We have outgrown the small size and the uncomfortable booth. I have done everything you can imagine to my Lance under the sun to make it more livable but to no avail. The only thing I have not added to it is theater seating. I was seriously considering it before our last trip down to Marathon key. It was cold in the keys and not a very good time was had by the two of us. Didn't do any fishing or anything that we usually do down there because of the weather. We ate a lot!!! The Lance has been a wonder to us now for 12 years, oh the times we had in it. It was such an upgrade to the coachman ranger that is was like a hotel. I believe that upgrade time has come again. We have never been boon docking or anything adventurous like that outside the RV resorts. Emotionally we are upset about it but time passes. We have been looking at travel trailers for a couple of weeks and boy are they beautiful but pieces of junk. We'll have to go used to get a better quality unit. This was a fantastic thread. Thanks to all the contributors. Joe


Thank You!! And best of luck to you! [emoticon]

SpknTC

Pacific Northwest, Wa.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/22/2007

View Profile



Posted: 03/16/21 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

run100 wrote:

SpknTC wrote:

So I've come full circle and couldn't be happier!!! I love everything about truck campers!

Here's a few pics... enjoy!!


[image]


We have a photo of our truck & camper in that same exact spot!


I was passing through hooking up with friends in Colorado. Geocaching actually brought me to this spot and the photo op was the icing on the cake! [emoticon]

EYEMLOST

See Above

New Member

Joined: 03/20/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/21/21 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just finished reading the entire thread.


An awesome read indeed!

SpknTC

Pacific Northwest, Wa.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/22/2007

View Profile



Posted: 06/27/21 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EYEMLOST wrote:

Just finished reading the entire thread.


An awesome read indeed!


Thanks!!

[image]

mr_andyj

Georgia

Senior Member

Joined: 11/13/2004

View Profile



Posted: 06/27/21 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got tired of hooking the TC up to the truck. It is not anywhere as quick and neat as backing up to a trailer. It is a chore.
I got tired of the extra stress on the truck.
I went for a trailer that is quick to hook up, more aero dynamic/better mpg's because it tucks behind the truck, and the load is carried by the inexpensive trailer axle, not the expensive truck.
Trailer is not dependent on a truck set up with TC mounts to be moved. Any vehicle can tow a trailer almost...
TC loses so much space bc of the truck bed rails.
Everything else about it was great. For me it was better to own a trailer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > The Emotions in a TC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.