cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steering Wheel not coming back to center

mrcchiefe7
Explorer
Explorer
We have a new 2014 Four Winds 31A (Bunkhouse model) on a 2013 Ford E450 chassis. After turning left or right the steering wheel does not come back to center. We have to turn the wheel about 1/4 to 1/3 of a turn to go straight again. We have had the front end alignment checked with 1/8” toe, +4.XX caster (both L & R). We have had unit weight checked finding the front to be 4340#, rear 9200# and total 13540#. (Front GAWR 5000#, Rear GAWR 9600#, GVWR 14500#). We have backed off the gear box as far as we can in an attempt to free up the steering. We have LT225/75R-16 by Michelin tires and the pressures have been checked and rechecked and set based on the unit weight per Michelin. Do we have a bad gear box?
17 REPLIES 17

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
How are things in SoCal? Been worried about you guys out there.

Our coach is in the shop for a new black tank. Then I have new 5000# SuperCoils to install. Once I recover from pneumonia and month in hospital... STILL haven't decided about which bushings to put back (adjustable???). Steering wheel is a little off center from my previous tinkering with toe.

Thinking I'll take it to a good MDT/HDT truck shop, pray first, give my specs, pay the bill and trust for the best.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
After having my coach aligned it would not return to center. Spoke to neighbor mechanic who does these trucks and he said it is not uncommon AND the wheel would need to removed and re-set. His fleet has numerous trucks that have the wheel off center. Mine is slight and does not have an effect on my driving or handling.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Ancient thread. Wonder what happened. We had another 32% Class C on Ford that we couldn't cure way back then. I've come to support the 75% of GAWR Front that another OP here used to suggest.
Wish we'd gotten coach length and wheelbase...

mrcchiefe7
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the latest on what had been done. Have added 1" blocks under the rear springs that were not install when chassis was modified and new alignment. Also had the unit weight check to see how much weight was added to the front axle (40# added). Had to unit at ford today and they tried to adjust the gear box which did not help. Ford dealer is ordering new gear box which they should have Monday or Tuesday next week.

mrcchiefe7
Explorer
Explorer
It does not track straight. It is all over the lane. Ford is now saying that the front axle needs to have 35-40% not 32% as we are now and has again but it back on Thor to correct. I fill like a ping pong ball.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
You've said "won't return to center" and also "handling problem." How does it track once you get the wheel to center? If you can comfortably stay in your lane and aren't overly affected by wind gusts and passing vehicles (there will be SOME effect, much more than in a car or even SUV), then I'd say get something like a Safe-T-Plus. That was mentioned above.
The spec I see quoted as being Ford's requirement for front axle loading is 32% of total scale weight. Right where you are. I don't think they can expect you to max the front axle load.
Somebody explain to me how raising the chassis say 2" at the rear is going to transfer more than a few pounds to the front axle. I hear that from time to time and don't understand how it would work.
Is that 1/8" of Toe "Toe-In" or "Toe-Out?"
What's the total length of your coach, and what is the Wheelbase?

mrcchiefe7
Explorer
Explorer
I have talked to both Thor and Ford about the handling problem tracking and steering wheel not returning to center after making a turn (R/L). Ford is saying that we are 400#'s to light on the front axle and this is causing the problems that we are having. Ford also stated that air bags or new springs are required in the rear to raise the rear to add the additional weight to the front axle. The rep at Thor is to talk to his tech to see what can be done. Here are the actual weights that we have Front 4340#, Rear 9200#, Gross 13540#. Weight spec are Front GAWR 5000#, Rear GAWR 9600# and GVWR 14500#. Ford also stated the the problem is with Thor.

wearenh
Explorer
Explorer
It took me 40 minutes to replace the stock Ford steering damper with a Safe-T-Plus, which has both an upgraded damper and an internal spring on each side of center, to help put the wheel back to center.

safe-t-plus

Alternately there is the Roadmaster RSS, if you can get one

roadmaster rss

I had already done the Ingalls caster bushing alignment, 6 new tires, Firestone Airbags, and an Equalizer WDH, and they all made things better, almost good enough .... the Safe-T-Plus made it perfect... Wheel returns to center, drives straight on highway, no whiteknuckles being passed by busses... I am happy!
2007 Gulf Stream 6211 (21' Shorty) Ford E350 V10
sometimes with #14 Racecar (18' KwikLoad Rollback)
sometimes with two gaited horses (Featherlite 9407)
sometimes just us camping with our dogs

rmmpe
Explorer
Explorer
Harvard is correct. If the steering wheel centers without it, replace the damper (about $30.00).
Do not remove it using the 'U' bolts.
Bob (Squidly Down Under) & Peg
"In God we trust"
2013 Ford Focus pushing a 2011 Phoenix Cruiser 2552S
Carry on, regardless...............

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
mrcchiefe7 wrote:
Thanks for all have the repplies so far. Yes we do have a steering damper installed. How would I check it to see if it bent?

Take it off and go for a test drive.

mrcchiefe7
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all have the repplies so far. Yes we do have a steering damper installed. How would I check it to see if it bent?

rmmpe
Explorer
Explorer
Rcase13,
You definitely should have a steering damper. It's a shock absorber type cylinder attached to the frame and and 'U' bolted to the center tie rod (slightly off center to the right). If you don't have one, get to Ford because it was missed in the OEM build of the cutaway.

The purpose of the damper is to reduce the road wheel feedback to the steering column/wheel, not return the wheel to center. Depending on how badly, if it binds, the caster of the wheels may not be enough to allow the steering gear to return to center.

As for getting one, a stiffer aftermarket damper will also place more load on the steering assembly and power steering pump.
Bob (Squidly Down Under) & Peg
"In God we trust"
2013 Ford Focus pushing a 2011 Phoenix Cruiser 2552S
Carry on, regardless...............

mikebo
Explorer
Explorer
Get individual wheel weights, My winnebago is significantly heavier on the passenger side and when I had it loaded before I knew to better distribute the weight it seemed to handle as you describe.
Mike

2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2010 CRV toad

rcase13
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't looked under mine (2013 Jayco Redhawk) but I am pretty sure I don't have a steering damper.My steering does not return to center on it's own. Do you even have a steering damper? It's on my list to get one.
2013 Jayco Redhawk 26XS