cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thetford TECMA toilet

senior-cit
Explorer
Explorer
I own a coach with the TECMA electric flush toilet with the water saver. Recently the red sensor indicating a full tank came on. The tank has been emptied, but the light stays on. I disconnected the High limit sensoe behind toilet and light still is on. Can't flush with this red light on. Has anyone had this same problem and any suggestions?
15 REPLIES 15

Ls_telly_icloud
Explorer
Explorer
Just discovered a disconnected plug behind the toilet causing the continuous RED light! ??. Check your connections before the 3-4 major flushings!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:

There are 2 glued on tank sensors on the outside of Black tank. They may have come loose.

I WISH.. they did not install the sensors on mine. So it will flush right out the top of the other toilet if I'm not quick enough (Wife used to use the Macerator till she hit the tree. now.. Not an issue).

I used it too when the Half Bath was out of service but I dump often enough to avoid issues.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Ls.telly.icloud.com wrote:
GENECOP wrote:
You can flush with the light on, hold the button for 10 seconds it will flush.. Reconnect the high limit sensor......FLUSH THE Tank 3-4 times....fill to top, stay Inside listening to sound as water rises, dump and fill again......the sensor needs to be cleaned....it happens with these toilets....

Where us thr “high limit” sensor located and can I manually clean it without having to flush 3-4 times. I am dry camping now and don’t want to waste all that water??

The Toilet level sensor is NOT inside the tank. It is glued on the outside wall of the tank NO cleaning necessary. Doug

Ls_telly_icloud
Explorer
Explorer
GENECOP wrote:
You can flush with the light on, hold the button for 10 seconds it will flush.. Reconnect the high limit sensor......FLUSH THE Tank 3-4 times....fill to top, stay Inside listening to sound as water rises, dump and fill again......the sensor needs to be cleaned....it happens with these toilets....

Where us thr “high limit” sensor located and can I manually clean it without having to flush 3-4 times. I am dry camping now and don’t want to waste all that water??

JCMSr
Explorer
Explorer
We have two Thetford TECMA toilets in our RV which is almost 3 years old now. Only once or twice that I can remember that the red "Full" light has stayed on after emptying tanks. One or two times flushing out the tanks has always resolved the problem. In fact, over the three years the toilet sensors have worked wit 99% accuracy while the Black tank monitor systems works about 5% of the time. Based on testing on our coach there is about 8-10 gallons of extra capacity in the black tank even after the sensors say it is full so don't worry about overriding the system a couple of times before dumping. Would not push it much more than that just in case your sensor locations are closer to the top of the tank.
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2011 Chevy Tahoe
D-celerator unified tow brake
Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar

mytime
Explorer
Explorer
I also like the Tecma, I usually clean mine when we move, I use White Vinegar and Liquid dish soap, with about 5 gal of water, empty when I get hooked back up.
And for the san-a-con, I adapted my sewer connector to fit a 1" flexible hose, purchased from "adventure.net", I have used it exclusively for the past 2yrs without a problem., just takes a little longer to dump the black tank., I might add that we use the Washer and also have a D/W that also drains through that 1" hose., just do a thorough flushing when empty the Black tank. Marvin
2007 Country Coach, Allure 470, 42',ISL Cummins 400, TV- 2011 Chevy Silverado, Blackhawk and Brakemaster.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
I like my techma, would never go back. It works and it's clean. never had a problem with the sensor, but a good flushing and some regular use should get it working again.

IMHO, the techma and san-i-con are a pair.

I believe the macerator in the toilet helps the san-i-con pump live a long life.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
smlranger wrote:
Our recently purchased Allure has this electric toilet. We have noticed that it also tends to fill the holding tank more quickly than the manual flush toilets we've had in our other motor homes.

I have wondered if it can be replaced with a non-electric john without major re-work.

The electric one is used often due to placement. The non electrics have to be attached over the holding tank. The electric can be mounted anywhere.

You can do a dry flush by pressing both buttons at the same time. You can also calibrate how much water refills in the bowl by holding them for several seconds.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
GENECOP wrote:
Not sure if it should go off or not....disconnect may throw a fault and cause red light...FLUSH that tank out, clear water should run through the tank.....the sensor will go green again unless it is a control board....I am betting on a dirty sensor....Ranger....do not change to a manual toilet, you will be trading for other problems like flooding, they tend to have sticky valves, foot pedals, etc....and have flooded many RV ,s...

Know about the flooding. Woke up one morning at 3 am, stepped in soggy wet carpet....WTH! Flush valve on toilet in our Journey stuck barely open, over-filled the bowl, flooded the entire back third of the motorhome. DW had last used the toilet at about midnight so it ran over for hours. Luckily, we did a good job of water extraction and clean up and had no issues.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure if it should go off or not....disconnect may throw a fault and cause red light...FLUSH that tank out, clear water should run through the tank.....the sensor will go green again unless it is a control board....I am betting on a dirty sensor....Ranger....do not change to a manual toilet, you will be trading for other problems like flooding, they tend to have sticky valves, foot pedals, etc....and have flooded many RV ,s...

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
senior-cit wrote:
I own a coach with the TECMA electric flush toilet with the water saver. Recently the red sensor indicating a full tank came on. The tank has been emptied, but the light stays on. I disconnected the High limit sensoe behind toilet and light still is on. Can't flush with this red light on. Has anyone had this same problem and any suggestions?

There are 2 glued on tank sensors on the outside of Black tank. They may have come loose. That is why you get the full reading. You also may need to flush and rinse the tank 2 or 3 times to remove any debris on the inside walls of the tank to keep the sensors from reading a false level. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
smlranger wrote:
Our recently purchased Allure has this electric toilet. We have noticed that it also tends to fill the holding tank more quickly than the manual flush toilets we've had in our other motor homes.

I have wondered if it can be replaced with a non-electric john without major re-work.

Probably not. The reason they install this macerator toilet is because the toilet is NOT located on top the Black tank. They install this toilet because it grinds up and then power flushes the debris downstream to the Black tank. Hence, it does use more water. Doug

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer

2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

senior-cit
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the info. It works as you instructed, but when I unhooked the high limit switch the light still stays on. Shouldn't the light go off?