cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fuel mileage diesel vs gas

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen some information on another forum that there is only about 1 to 2 miles per gallon increase in mileage for a diesel versus the V10 Ford. Does that seem to be the consensus? With the extra cost of diesel fuel these days, what is the major advantage for a Super C with diesel engine? I suppose if you travel a lot in the mountains it might make a difference. Someone please enlighten me.
37 REPLIES 37

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the 6.7 Powerstroke and love it. Just drove from Richmond VA to Winchester VA about 150 miles and the dash said 12.8. It was stop and go for a while and it knocked it down from 13.3 at the high. No towing and I was doing 55 mph most of the way.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

JohninSD
Explorer
Explorer
John S. - what engine do you have in the F550?

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, I owned a 24 foot born free with the e450 with v10. I would get 8-9 mpg. I just bought a 29 foot born free on a f550. It gets 12-12.5 in the mountains and around town on the flats and at 65 mpg I get 13 mpg.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

JohninSD
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Navion 24G on the Sprinter chassis. I have to add a 2.5 gallon jug of DEF roughly every 5k miles. It costs about $12 at Walmart. One nice thing about the extra mpg is the longer distance you can go between fuel stops. My old rig, 1997 F250 with the 7.5l V8 and a Lance camper got about 8 mpg and held about 35 gallons of gas so I was looking for fuel starting at about 200 miles from full. The Navion holds 26 gallons of diesel and gets 15 mpg so I can comfortably go about 300 miles before I start looking ( I don't like to get much below 1/4 tank). And at 14k miles per year I do believe the extra cost of the diesel is worth it, not that I have to justify it to anyone but myself.

65Hemi
Explorer
Explorer
In my experience, that information is in error (a diesel only beating a gasoline engine by 1 or 2 mpg). A diesel pulling a heavy load will beat a gasoline engine by approximately 40 to 50 percent in fuel mileage, so a gasoline engine pulling a given load engine getting 10 mpg, will be beaten by a diesel pulling the same load getting approximately 14 to 15 mpg. Of course, the picture is complicated somewhat by the factor of fuel cost. Where I am, diesel fuel presently costs five percent more than gasoline. If you factor that in, the operational fuel cost advantage of diesel drops to approximately 40 percent, which is still substantially better than "1 or 2 miles per gallon." However, in some localities, the price differential may be slightly less or slightly more. The national average U.S. fuel prices as of 17 July 2017, showed that the average price difference of diesel fuel over gasoline was 4.14 percent.
Of course, the above discussion does not take into consideration that a diesel engine option typically costs thousands of dollars more than the standard gasoline engine that it is replacing. And the maintenance costs for a diesel engine are significantly higher. So unless you drive a lot of miles annually (in my opinion at least 15,000 miles or more annually), it's hard to justify a diesel engine on the purchase of a new vehicle. A few years ago I was about to purchase a new pickup, and considered getting a diesel. I ran the numbers on it and it looked like I would have to run the diesel truck to about 100,000 miles before I would break even. So I bought a truck with a gasoline engine.

Bill

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don,

What diesel additive and for what vehicle? Isn't your RV gas? Is it because of your cold winters?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, but if you put DEF in the diesel tank, you will likely be buying a new engine.

It goes in a separate tank and is injected DOWNSTREAM of the engine.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
az99 wrote:
If you are adding DEF to the diesel fuel you are doing something very wrong.

Well .... I believe that the year 2009 on up diesel Sprinter chassis requires that some kind of "special fluid" be replenished around every 10K miles.

Supposedly this fluid is blue in color and very expensive. I don't know if it's called "DEF", though.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

az99
Explorer
Explorer
AprilWhine wrote:
az99 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Then there is the cost of additives for each tank of diesel burned.

What additives? I don't use additives in my diesel.

Late model diesel engines require DEF.
If you are adding DEF to the diesel fuel you are doing something very wrong. 🙂

Sooboy
Explorer
Explorer
AprilWhine wrote:
az99 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Not sure I would consider DEF a diesel additive. I go through an $8-$10 tank of DEF every 6 or 7 fill-ups. Hardly worth mentioning. My heavy right foot costs me more.
2012 Jayco Embark TB390
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar
2009 Honda CRV (mini toad)
2014 Ford F-150 4x4 (monster toad)
FMCA #F413428

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
az99 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
--

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Pa,

I had to use them in mine as recommended by the Ford dealer.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,