cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1991 Beaver Contessa Converter / Inverter

thead
Explorer
Explorer
Where is the Converter located, It's not under the Bed or Sofa I'm lost.
12 REPLIES 12

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry to hear that.

My wife and I both work hard but we play just as hard. I didn't want to work my life away like my parents.

Mike.
2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

thead
Explorer
Explorer
Thanx, I hope me and the coach get along together. My wife recently passed and I found myself sitting in just the bedroom, of a 2000 Sq Ft home, I dont have a clue how to cook or any of the basic things because I married at 19, the 4 children are all grown an gone, an really dont care much for me anyway because I spent all my time away working, so I don't need but a bed and bath, Now I can sell the house and get rid of all the junk We've accumulated over the years, meet a few people an hopefully pay attention to things I hurried past, trying to make a good living for my family. This new endevor, is an attempt to rebuild my life. Damn, I wish that I could have my Copilot beside me, that was the plan, but the Lord figured otherwise....

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
thead wrote:
ZMotor you made my day..Looked in the closet an saw a carpeted box with vent, (Big Ole Smile) pulled the top. there sits my Inverter, the thing was set to equalize, I switched it over to the normal setting & everything seems to work as it should. Damn feels like I'm 6 on a Xmas Morning. When I bought the coach I asked about the 110 side of things and the owner said he always just ran the Genny. This guy had it several years and took a few trips and never knew that you could run 110 off the batteries..Since I had to switch it over from equalize to run I would assume that the converter is built within.. Hence there is no seperate converter it is a Inverter/Converter??? I have yet to remove the battery caps and check the acid level but would assume there is little to none since the thing was set to equalize for years. I've only driven it 400 mi to bring it home an set in the yard playing around with the systems for a few days.. I plan to work on things for a year or so before I hit the road I would like to have everything straight, because I'm physically impaired and only have Soc Sec for income I don't want, nor can afford any surprises..Well on my way to full timing....Yeah...

Glad I was able to help. By the way I just noticed that you are a new member, welcome aboard.

On a side note you had mentioned that the owner didn't realize he could run 110 volt AC appliances off of the inverter. You do realize that on that system you have to manually switch the system over. On our 91 Contessa in the overhead panel on the street side just as you entered the bedroom there were two rotary style switches that must be turned to draw from either shore power or inverter. No big deal but I just thought it worth mentioning so you could locate them before you really need them.

Good luck on the new to you rig. We really enjoyed our Contessa for the 7 years and 60k+ miles we owned it. Very well built coach on a Gillig chassis. My only complaints were the somewhat anemic CAT 3208 and the Allison MT654 transmission, great transmission as far as dependability and strength but the fact that it was only a four-speed was a drawback.

Mike.

thead
Explorer
Explorer
ZMotor you made my day..Looked in the closet an saw a carpeted box with vent, (Big Ole Smile) pulled the top. there sits my Inverter, the thing was set to equalize, I switched it over to the normal setting & everything seems to work as it should. Damn feels like I'm 6 on a Xmas Morning. When I bought the coach I asked about the 110 side of things and the owner said he always just ran the Genny. This guy had it several years and took a few trips and never knew that you could run 110 off the batteries..Since I had to switch it over from equalize to run I would assume that the converter is built within.. Hence there is no seperate converter it is a Inverter/Converter??? I have yet to remove the battery caps and check the acid level but would assume there is little to none since the thing was set to equalize for years. I've only driven it 400 mi to bring it home an set in the yard playing around with the systems for a few days.. I plan to work on things for a year or so before I hit the road I would like to have everything straight, because I'm physically impaired and only have Soc Sec for income I don't want, nor can afford any surprises..Well on my way to full timing....Yeah...

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
thead wrote:
May remove Breaker panels x2 in the bedroom,could it be behind one? doesn't seem like a logical place, No ventilation.

That is a common place, on the back side of the breaker panel box on some designs, but don't know about your Beaver. Location varies as much between coach models as it does between coach brands.
thead wrote:
Sitting I dont have 110 nor does the batteries charge off of the genny so I know I have a issue with the con/inv. I did just purchase th MH but otherwise everything looks untouched to me. The coach is in great condition otherwise. I do need new coach batteries.
If your house batteries are kaput, the charger might not be kicking in if the batteries are dead.

You might want to try the Monaco Owners Group, and ask their help. I'm sure there must be someone over that who can help you out with this, and maybe refer you to someone close by.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
In our 91 Contessa the converter was under the bed just above the engine on the street side, almost had to stand on your head to see it.

The inverter was under a small removeable panel in the wardrobe closet. There is a small hole where you can put your finger and then pull up on the carpeted panel and the inverter was right under that.

This was in a side aisle 38 1/2' Contessa model. It may differ depending on models/floorplans.

Mike.

dengineer
Explorer
Explorer
Beavers at abt that time had a separate inverter, the converter was nearby in a separate box... usually they were under the bed ( as mentioned) on the feet side, on the left was the inverter and on the right was the converter as you faced the bed...there were also separate breakers...you may want to check them...
So if you do not have 12v for home, I suggest you follow the cables from the batt compartment, and one of the sets of cablesshould take you these boxes, usually they are close to the batts due to the high current requirements..
Good luck, and let us know what you find...
Tony

thead
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah,
I checked the engine comp & basement!!

mena661
Explorer
Explorer

thead
Explorer
Explorer
It's killing me, I've looked everywhere, an I'm getting so pissed I'm ready to break out the gasoline Aaaahhhhhh. I should see some wires if it was removed. Furnace under the Fridge. Nothing under the bed or sofa. Pulled all drawers near floor - nothing. Nothing in the engine bay or basement. May remove Breaker panels x2 in the bedroom,could it be behind one? doesn't seem like a logical place, No ventilation. Sitting I dont have 110 nor does the batteries charge off of the genny so I know I have a issue with the con/inv. I did just purchase th MH but otherwise everything looks untouched to me. The coach is in great condition otherwise. I do need new coach batteries. Hookup to shore or run the genny everything works great. I don't have a problem buying and installing a new converter if needed, but where the hell do I put it????? In case you see on CNN, psychotic man torches MH then hangs himself from side view mirror, you guys will know why. It wasn't a conspiracy it was a damn converter.....

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Could be under the fridge too. Look for any metal cover with louvered vents and it could be behind that. My '94 Foretravel is in one of the basement compartments, just to give you some ideas. And they all look like a metal shoe box with a bunch of wires going in and out.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

thgoodman
Explorer
Explorer
Check again....... they looked different back then. Mine was at the bottom of the bed (toward the front of the motor home). It looked like a stand alone unit that was just dropped in and was held in place with 2 screws.

Another possibility.... You don't say if it ever worked. If you bought the MH used, someone may have removed it.
Tom & Jan
Full timers since April '06 - 1 fur kid (Archie - mini Poodle.)
2006 Beaver Patriot Thunder towing 2012 Subaru (4 down)
Started workamping Sept '07 - "This isn't too bad. Think we'll do it some more."