cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The "Milky Way" test of a boondocking site

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know there are many definitions of boondocking, and that is a good thing. But here is one possible test -- if you are not in a campground and you can see the Milky Way under clear skies, you are really out in the boonies!

Here is one of our more recent Milky Way experiences -- it is not a great shot because I illuminated the trailer with an LED flashlight for a few seconds, giving it an odd blue color -- but the sky is pretty close to the real thing:

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
173 REPLIES 173

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
After posting, I just clicked on the "full size image" button, and the photo looks somewhat brighter in full size.
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
First "Milky Way" post in a long time. This was taken early this month just east of the Eastern Sierra, between Mammoth and Bridgeport, Calif. The bright star field is the galactic center of the Milky Way. With the help of a 20 second exposure, the galaxy lit up the snowy peaks:

Click For Full-Size Image.
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unfortunately, the really dark skies of the West are shrinking, too. We were camped near Zion recently -- much more light pollution from nearby towns than there was ten years ago.
About our trailer

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Great picture. Almost impossible to find such a place however east of the big river. North Central PA, WV, the Catskills of NY, VT and ME, UP of MI, and some select areas along the Appalachians.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The photo posting app somehow altered the colors of one of those images, so I re-edited it to look more true-to-life:

About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This shot was taken in early March of 2020, a few days before Covid arrived. This was taken on BLM land near Tioga Pass โ€“ that's Parker Peak, right under Orion. There was some moonlight, which interferes with the stars, but the snow was shining brightly:

And this next shot was taken in early April of 2021, just after we were fully vaccinated. This was also taken on BLM land, east of Capitol Reef National Park. The mountains in this photo are part of the Waterpocket Fold.

There were so many stars that it was hard to see the constellations. In this shot, Orion's sword is directly over the trailer. Sirius is in the upper left. And there is a faint meteor trail near Betelgeuse, which we did not see until we got home and viewed the photo on the computer.

The stars were so bright that after our eyes had fully adapted to the darkness, we could see pretty well, even though the bright galactic center of the Milky Way had not yet risen above the horizon. There was no light pollution at all at this campsite -- some of the darkest skies we've ever seen. It's very rare that the only light to be seen is starlight, all the way down to the horizon, with no artificial light at all.

I'm hoping to see the bright part of the Milky Way again this summer โ€“ it has been almost two years without seeing it.
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Horton Creek BLM Campground, Bishop, Calif., in late September of 2019:

The bright star on the right is Jupiter, and the peak on the right is Mt. Tom.

In that photo, I tried to "paint" the foreground with a flashlight during a time exposure. It sort of worked, but not perfectly -- it is very hard to get just enough light on the foreground without overdoing it.
About our trailer

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
We're going to mi northern lower peninsula in a couple of weeks. I'm afraid we'll still have too much light to get a good photo, but want to try

Check out the Dark Sky park west of Mackinaw City. Hopefully the weather cooperates.
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even though there may be some light pollution, all is not lost. Check out this link -- they explain the technique of "exposure to the right." If you have a DSLR, or even a good point and shoot with a "histogram," you might be able to use this trick. (I have never tried it, myself, but there may come a time when I need it!)

How to get decent star shots despite light pollution
About our trailer

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're going to mi northern lower peninsula in a couple of weeks. I'm afraid we'll still have too much light to get a good photo, but want to try

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice photo. A good way to describe boondocking.
A lot like my backyard in Nevada at 5,000 feet.
We have 1 million acres of public land next to the property.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
These were at 20 seconds (with a tripod, of course), an ISO of 3200, with my zoom lens set to the widest setting (about 18 mm). The f stop was, I think, around 2.8. The camera is a cheap Canon DSLR -- several years out of date, but it still works ok.

I just read an article that says that boosting the ISO to 6400 may not create more "noise" in the image, so I will give that a try next time.

If I had image stacking software, I could greatly improve the sharpness of the image, or so they say.

By the way, that shot was taken just east of Sonora Pass, off Highway 108, in the Eastern Sierra of California.
About our trailer

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camera settings?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
After I posted that, I went back and looked at the post -- the photo posting software compressed the image, not surprisingly. So if you want to see what the second shot really looks like, click on the "click for full size image" link right under the photo. Quite a difference!
About our trailer