Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Hard Start kits: Supco SPP6 vs. Dometic #3310727.015
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Hard Start kits: Supco SPP6 vs. Dometic #3310727.015

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
jodeb720

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The thing missing from this thread that didn't exist is the MicroStart technology - which didn't exist in 2014 and does now.

While I've not added one in lieu of my Supco unit - all the folks on this site speak favorably about it.

One thing to remember, as temperature climbs, so does the demand for electricity (in terms of Amp draw).

Generators lose 10% of their available output every 1000'.

Increase the temperature, and elevation and you're losing the ability to provide enough energy to drive the AC unit.

I'm not sure how the Microstart can (or does) mitigate that lower power output from the generator due to elevation and increase demand from the compressor due to temperature increase.

joshuajim

Mojave Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/20 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris Bryant wrote:

There is virtually no difference between that Dometic part and the Supco SPP6- both are PTCR based start devices. Supco does not recommend the E series for RV applications- because if you shut the compressor and try to restart it right away, the E series will put the start cap in the circuit, a PTCR device will not. My response to that- doesn't short cycle the A/C (most new thermostats will not let you anyway).
DuoTherm does make a couple of better options- p/n 3102903.006 , which is a true potential relay (unlike the Supco "E" series quasi potential relay), and a really good, though very expensive start kit, the SmartStart- unlike anything else on the market (at ~$370, it better be [emoticon] ).

Another option I am looking at is the 5-2-1 compressor saver- a true 3 wire potential relay.

Note that the benefit for the non-PTCR type kits is really only in running off an undersized genset- they keep the start capacitor in the circuit until the compressor comes up to 75% of speed, which takes a fraction of a second longer if the genset bogs down.

I strongly agree with the 5-2-1 compressor saver. I was a Facilities Manager for a large school district fo 17 years.. We had thousands of 5 ton units here in the desert. The ONLY "hard start" kit that would consistently start old worn out units was the 5-2-1. We tried every brand available and the 5-2-1 was the best.

RVing since 1995.

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/20 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here. Learned a lot about inrush current/LRA in the last 6 years. Discovered start capacitors (with or without a PTCR) can potentially lower an RV a/c compressor's LRA about 3-5%. A Micro Air Easy Start (not available back in 2014) can lower a typical 55-70a RV a/c compressor's LRA as much as 50-60%---*huge* performance advantage vs. a standard start capacitor! Discovered paralleling two Honda EU2x00i's does double the continuous current output, but only increases the inrush current output about 10%. A whole lot cheaper (and a whole lot more effective) to purchase a $250-$300 Micro Air Easy Start vs. a $1000 2nd Honda to help reliably start an RV a/c.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Micro Air Easy Start is worth every penny. 2500 watt generator handles the air with no issue now.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Hard Start kits: Supco SPP6 vs. Dometic #3310727.015
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.