cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford Econoline Van wire pass through firewall

NJ6PACK
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying to run a wire from the engine compartment to the inside passenger compartment.

Has anyone done this on a Ford Van? I heard about going through on the passenger side but I can't find anything on the web.

Seems VERY tight on the drivers side so I'd rather avoid that area if possible.

I also have a removable custom center console I made so I have considered drilling through the floor between the seats...any thoughts on that?

My van is listed below in my signature

Any suggestions would be appreciated....Thanks Chris
2007 Max Lite ML28 RS
1999 Ford E 350 Super Duty 15 Passenger Ext Van
6.8L V10 / 3.73 Gears
5 REPLIES 5

usbusi
Explorer
Explorer
I found a large rubber plug on the passenger side of the cabin that a large flathead screwdriver could remove. I fed my battery cables to the hole through the opening left of the wiper, and wired to an inverter. I did have to buy a very extra long needle nose pliers to push the wires into the hole as the door was in the way. Thanks for the plug tip.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
RoyB wrote:
I always look for a RUBBER FITTING or GROMMET I can puncture a hole thru it to get the cables though. Once done then I will use RTV to seal the hole back...

I'm sure if you look good around the firewall you can several factory installed rubber hole fillers. Just check both sides before you puncture through with a sharp tool (i.e. Screwdriver). Don't want to hurt something behind the wall so to speak.

Roy Ken

Roy is on the right track, rather than drilling a bunch of holes take a closer look for any rubber body plugs that are nearby. That is the best plan of attack and the first thing I look for.

With my 2013 F250 I wasn't as lucky, there are NO rubber plugs to be found anywhere on the firewall and the closest rubber plug I could find was directly in the center of the passenger floor (not a good place to run wires).

I ended up taking the wire along the truck frame then drilled a couple of small holes into the wire trough under the door sill. I then used small rubber grommets inserted into the holes to protect the wires from chaffing against the steel.

Ran all the wire outside in plastic wire loom to protect the wires from the weather and makes for a factory like installation..

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Also, there are are two places where you can tap into RUN and AUX circuits inside the van. The first is at the steering column, using the pass-through connection (mine is 4-pin, the 2 pass thu curcuits and also RUN and AUX power). The other location is the 2nd Modified Vehicle Power connector located in the driver's B-pillar.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
There two four pass-through circuits already in your van. It is part of a harness with one end inside on your steering column, and the other end below the windshield cowling above the brake booster. The dealers sell "modified vehicle power" pigtail plugs, you can use to connect to the pass through.

See this bulletin for info..... Its for newer vans but the pass-through circuit is present in your van as well, I think its only the inside connector that is different.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q171_R1.pdf

Or... you can run some wires through the steering column boot as long as you are careful to secure them so they won't rub. This is what I did, since I added the wiring before I learned about the pass-through circuits.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always look for a RUBBER FITTING or GROMMET I can puncture a hole thru it to get the cables though. Once done then I will use RTV to seal the hole back...

I'm sure if you look good around the firewall you can several factory installed rubber hole fillers. Just check both sides before you puncture through with a sharp tool (i.e. Screwdriver). Don't want to hurt something behind the wall so to speak.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS