Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 1/2 ton trucks?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 1/2 ton trucks?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/14 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gebrown wrote:

So whats the point in 1/2 ton trucks? They can't haul much, are they the grocery getters of the truck world?

Many are very capable of towing a decent sized TT, and the ones with larger payloads can carry a lite 5er.

The buyer need to be aware of the capacity of the "1/2 ton" both GVWR and rear GAWR. Newer 150/1500's tend to have GVWR that are very close to the total of the GAWR's, making it too easy to be within the GVWR while being over the rear GAWR.

As pointed out in several prior post, the payload of the 150/1500's can vary greatly, so what they can tow/haul also varies greatly.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

tworootless

Wher ever

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/14 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 2004 Nissan Titan 1/2 ton 5.6 sucks fuel for sure! But, it hauls our 5,200 pound Prowler TT (dry) just fine...

diazr2

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/14 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dshelley wrote:

Gebrown wrote:

So whats the point in 1/2 ton trucks? They can't haul much, are they the grocery getters of the truck world?

What's the point of your question?

I think the point of his questions was to get folks all riled up.. Some people are just like that. No real purpose just want to see people get riled. You know kind of like an appendix
. Doesn't really do anything except make you sick.....

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/14 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A properly equipped 1/2 ton truck can be quite capable and have well over 2k in payload

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Gebrown

Choctaw, OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/14 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

diazr2 wrote:

dshelley wrote:

Gebrown wrote:

I think the point of his questions was to get folks all riled up.. Some people are just like that. No real purpose just want to see people get riled. You know kind of like an appendix

Yes, I asked this question just to rile you up, how did you know???

For the people who actually contributed to the topic, thanks..

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/14 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gebrown wrote:

I know you feel the Toy Haulers have beat you up, that's not the point. You keep wanting to haul more trailer then you probably should. Many, many owners have done what you're looking at doing, and a few months or year later they are forced into upgrading their truck. Some probably did it by choice, others did it because they were oversold on the trailer they bought.

There are plenty of trailers within your limits, but there are very few Toy Haulers that are going meet your needs and limitations. If you will consider changing your requirements and go with a shorter toy hauler you can probably find one that stays within your weights. Remember its also the overall length. You can ignore everyone on the forum, that's your choice. You asked for feedback, you've been given it. Now it's your call.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/14 12:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Up to around 7-9k lbs, a 1/2 ton can be a great option.

Where you see people start recommending 3/4 or 1 ton trucks is when you have people asking if they can pull a 10-15k lb trailer with a 1/2 ton. At the lower end of that range properly equipped the 1/2ton might be in spec but the jump up to 3/4 ton will pull nicer.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/14 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This debate and misconceptions will continue until folks ignore the marketing
badging and go to the best metric...refer to them with their GVWR's

Then the forever 'have to have': "ride quality", "MPG", etc

A 10,000 GVWR will NOT have the ride quality of a 5,000 GVWR. Maybe a 40,000 GVWR
Motor home...

'Half ton' marketing badged has a GVWR range from around +6,000 GVWR to +8,000 GVWR

Because the vast majority of 'half ton' pickups sold are to newbies and those
who started out with 'half ton' pickups and will NOT go any 'bigger'...even
though they need to...therefore the fake half ton with +8,000 GVWR's

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

jake2250

Comifornia

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/14 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed my 4000 pound trailer with a 1/2 when we first bought it,, I quickly found out that with all of our stuff,family and dog,, we quickly ran out of room and carrying capacity. The truck could tow it no problem and it could stop it no problem.
But as far as reaching it's capacity,we met that and sometimes exceeded that!
Not all of our trips are Fully Loaded,, I like to crab,have an inflatable boat,six commercial crab traps,outboard motor and a breakdown trailer that fits in a full sized truck bed,along with firewood,generator,fuel,Etc.
Although my half ton was a short bed we could make the trip..
crunching numbers was a different story and being a commercial truck driver I wasn't comfortable with that.
We upgraded to a 3/4 ton HD and never looked back!! Getting groceries in ti is a different story,, uses more gas, harsher ride,longer bed,,, but its about the goal of Why I have a 3/4 ton, and peace of mind makes up for all the rest..

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/14 01:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

diazr2 wrote:

dshelley wrote:

Gebrown wrote:

Sounds about right. Some people have inadequacies in their lives. They feel the need to minimize others to make themselves feel better. Not sure if that is the case with the OP, but it appears that way. I haven't read too many threads that started off the way the OP did that actually had an intention to educate themselves.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 1/2 ton trucks?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.