Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 1/2 ton trucks?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 1/2 ton trucks?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/14 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kevin O. wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

OP has a 08 Ram 1500, was looking at getting a TT or TH that would have overloaded his truck so he is upset with his 1/2 ton.

OPs truck is a very capable tow vehicle.......within it's ratings namely payload

Maybe when he calms down he will realize it.

But if OP wants bigger TT/TH...will need to get rid of the grocery getter and go bigger truck
That's only if he stays with Dodge. If he had a Ford 1/2 ton with the Max tow and HD payload pkg then he would probably be a "happy camper".. With most of the Ram 1500's having such a low payload# all there good for is getting the groceries. .

If Ram calculated payload like Ford Does on the Max Tow F150 then the playing field would be even. Fact of the matter is that Ford calculates payload at almost 100% of the axle ratings on the Max Tow package. Ram on the other hand has the GVWR at 800-1000 lbs under the sum of the Axle Ratings.

I think the Max tow package gets you Towing mirrors , heavy duty bumper, and 3.73 axles. Yet, the payload increases substantially. It actually doesn't, ford just takes excess from the axle ratings and adds it to the payload.

My guess is that Ford feel comfortable doing this because if you are asking for max tow you are probably a little more educated on towing (because you know to ask for this) and payload. But that is just a hypothesis.

Ram is every bit as capable as the F150....just the stickers on the sides are a little different.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/14 09:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

navy80to04 wrote:

1/2 ton and x-lite 5er or 1 ton and what ever size you want. Cant see getting a 3/4 ton truck.

This is why I got a 3/4 ton. I don't need a 1 ton and the only 1/2 ton capable of towing my 5'er is the F150 HD. But I wanted the 8' bed and the only 8' bed available in the F150 HD is the extended cab version with the funny rear doors. I had those on other trucks and prefer the crew cab style better. So to get a CC LB I needed to go 3/4 ton.

[image]

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/14 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gebrown wrote:

So whats the point in 1/2 ton trucks? They can't haul much, are they the grocery getters of the truck world?

I pull the trailer in my sig with my grocery getter. It's a great grocery getter too; holds a lot of groceries!

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Buck50HD

MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/14 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My old F150HD would haul 2100 lb of groceries and they'd still be in the bags when I got home. Handled the 5th just as well, too.

New: 2014 F250 Lariat 6.2 Crew 4x4 3.73 156", 2725 lb payload
Old: 2012 F150 XLT ECO Screw 157" 4x4 3.73LS Max Tow HD Payload, 2171 lb payload
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 285BH (7750/8800lb, 1400/1700pin, dry/loaded)

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/14 12:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerem0621 wrote:

Kevin O. wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

OP has a 08 Ram 1500, was looking at getting a TT or TH that would have overloaded his truck so he is upset with his 1/2 ton.

OPs truck is a very capable tow vehicle.......within it's ratings namely payload

But if OP wants bigger TT/TH...will need to get rid of the grocery getter and go bigger truck
That's only if he stays with Dodge. If he had a Ford 1/2 ton with the Max tow and HD payload pkg then he would probably be a "happy camper".. With most of the Ram 1500's having such a low payload# all there good for is getting the groceries. .

If Ram calculated payload like Ford Does on the Max Tow F150 then the playing field would be even. Fact of the matter is that Ford calculates payload at almost 100% of the axle ratings on the Max Tow package. Ram on the other hand has the GVWR at 800-1000 lbs under the sum of the Axle Ratings.

I think the Max tow package gets you Towing mirrors , heavy duty bumper, and 3.73 axles. Yet, the payload increases substantially. It actually doesn't, ford just takes excess from the axle ratings and adds it to the payload.

My guess is that Ford feel comfortable doing this because if you are asking for max tow you are probably a little more educated on towing (because you know to ask for this) and payload. But that is just a hypothesis.

Ram is every bit as capable as the F150....just the stickers on the sides are a little different.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
I've noticed that too and wondered.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

IndyCamp

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/14 09:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is what I haul with my 1/2 ton:

[image]

[image]

[image]

* This post was edited 06/30/14 08:44am by an administrator/moderator *

2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/14 09:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IndyCamp wrote:

[image]

[image]

[image]

Nice looking stuff!!! Three separate trips?

* This post was edited 06/30/14 08:45am by an administrator/moderator *

Kevin O.

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/14 11:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerem0621 wrote:

Kevin O. wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Thanks!

Jeremiah
I have to disagree. . There is no Ram 1500 that is close to being every bit as capable as a F150 with the Max tow and HD payload pkg. At least not yet. ..

KEVIN ">
DW-Debbie ">
DS-Tyler 11yrs old">
DD-Makayla 8yrs old">
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/14 04:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kevin O. wrote:

jerem0621 wrote:

Kevin O. wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Thanks!

Jeremiah
I have to disagree. . There is no Ram 1500 that is close to being every bit as capable as a F150 with the Max tow and HD payload pkg. At least not yet. ..

I 100% agree with you. If you re-read my post I never mention the HD payload package. I was very specific to only mention the Max Tow package. The HD F150 is a light duty 3/4 ton truck.

Re-reading the person I quoted, they did mention the HD payload package which I missed.

I haven't personally looked at a HD F150 to review the axle ratings vs the GVWR.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/14 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IndyCamp wrote:

[image]

Must have a big dump bed on it, as the pile of dirt was not delivered by Pickup.
Top of pile has been flatted by a dump trucks tailgate.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 1/2 ton trucks?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.