cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Steps not retracting all the way

Bill_and_Kathi
Explorer
Explorer
Hope someone can give us help. Traveling and can't get the steps to retract like the should. Tried oiling and silicon nothing helped so far. Is there a place I'm missing? They retract just fine if someone is outside and puts the least amount of pressure on them. Thanks for your time.
Bill, Kathi and Toby (the doxie) - for the "pitter patter" of little feet.

Love the "Sound of the South" at Troy University
17 REPLIES 17

LandYacht35dies
Explorer
Explorer
wAy ... is there any additional info since 2014 ? ... my step quit - motor just making a clicking noise - and will not retract.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
cyrus799 wrote:
This is how you manually retract RV stairs if something goes wrong and you're stuck in the middle of nowhere. You can find more information here.

Cyrus, not sure if you are aware but you are responding to a thread that's 7 years old.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
When our Kwikee steps were built, the lift motor was a Delco/Remy and the mechanism was completely exposed to the elements. I knew nothing about the steps and maintaining them. One day in 1999 they failed and I didn't know how simple they are to repair so I took them to a RV Service and Parts company near home. End result was the old motor was no longer available and I ended up with a very early upgrade kit designed to replace the Delco/Remy setup.

Having owned my rig less than a year and not receiving the manual or any suggestions on maintenance I didn't do any and in a few years the Ford motor failed. By this time I was a member of these forums and decided after reading several posts that I would fix the steps myself. Making this as short as possible, the idiot technician installed the clevis pin holding the operating arm to the steps in from the wrong side. It was done on a work bench and didn't seem to be a problem. Well in order to remove the pin, I had to devise my own removal tool. The biggest problem other than the fact that there wasn't room enough to drive the clevis pin out was it was impossible to get the cotter key(or pin if you so desire) out. First suggestion if you disconnect the arm to step assembly. Replace the cotter key with a hair pin clip. Saves bruised and bleeding knuckles.

My next problem was using the numbers that were provided by folks here, I went to several stores, AutoZone, NAPA and independents and no one could find an exact replacement for my motor. Even Kwikee gave me the wrong numbers. I followed the work around as described here and jury rigged a replacement. Before doing that I replaced the little plastic bumpers in the gear housing, no improvement.

The replacement started with the symptoms the OP is experiencing while we were on the road and a tech tapped it with the rubber mallet and surprise they worked for all of two days.

Finally sat down at the computer for several crossed eyed hour looking at catalog after catalog of window life motors and found what has been a very reliable and perfect lift motor. It was made by AMI and was listed for a Ford F150 Crew Cab.

The reason I'm posting this info is that I've been through several problems, most of my own making and I can now go through the trouble shooting routine in the Kwikee manual, remove the entire lift motor and gear assembly, disassemble the gear assembly, clean, lube and reinstall and put in a new motor in about 30 minutes. I researched the Series 32 steps from their original design through todays super improved Power Gear model and have every gear and motor modification date. I also have decided after using several lubricants that the highly over priced Kwiklube is the best type of lube, "If you clean and lube your steps on a regular basis". Yes it gathers dust and dirt but that is why they need regular maintenance, what it doesn't do is wash out in a rain storm. An added benifit is now I can't hear my steps operate from inside the rig. My DW watches the step when I start the engine and until she sees that the steps are stowed, the rig doesn't move.

I stand by my first post, the symptom the OP gave, "If he performed routine maintenance", is symptomatic of a failing lift motor.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just finished with this sort of issue. Steps had stood open for a few months of inactivity due to health problems of MsC. Anyway, they developed some rust on the pivots and needed to helped to open and close a few times with the help of WD40 and then some light oil. Worked fine after 'helping' them a few times.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Bill_and_Kathi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who responded. We will see how it goes and respond when we have a solution. We appreciate your willingness to help.
Bill, Kathi and Toby (the doxie) - for the "pitter patter" of little feet.

Love the "Sound of the South" at Troy University

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
2bzy2c wrote:
Mine did the same thing. Turned out to be low voltage from the batteries. Replaced the batteries and the problem was gone.

I have definitely seen this before as a potential voltage issue.
Mark

Dan_L1
Explorer
Explorer
Ours wouldn't retract all the way, straightened and freed up all the pivot points and it still didn't go all the way up. Turns out the linkage was worn out. Got a new replacement online, put in all back together and it works fine. Cost about $30.

Dan

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
It has been many years ... but on my previous coach with kwikee steps there were 4 plastic disks in the gear housing that were hardened. They were a dampening mechanism, it seems, which allowed the steps to park. The motor protection would take it out before it was damaged leaving the steps where binding was occurring. Someone here had the advice of soaking them in brake fluid allowing them to regain elasticity and reinstalling until new parts could be found. I never had to go back in there. Maybe this "memory" I've had can trigger someone into giving a better description of your problem.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Southwind98
Explorer
Explorer
Check your bolts underneath, that was our problem when the steps on our motorhome wouldn't extend all the way. Which is reversed from your problem, but might be the same issue. If I remember correctly there were four bolts extending down around the motor, only three were secured. Once I replaced the fourth bolt , problem solved.
Will & Michelle
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1990 Jeep Wrangler

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
Mine did the same thing. Turned out to be low voltage from the batteries. Replaced the batteries and the problem was gone.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
If sticking steps were an indication of imminent motor failure, then my 19 year old step motor should have died years ago. Periodically cleaning and lubing the pivots per the Kwikee manual, albeit not with their overpriced relabeled chain lube, has kept my steps working for a very long time now. I have had exactly the same symptoms as the OP on occasion, most recently after a long dirty, salty drive to Florida in January, but the clean and lube routine soon put it right once again.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
When a customer come to me with your problem, I take the motor linkage LOOSE. I then spray liberal amounts of liquid wrench on all linkage and pivot points. I have to then with great force manually force the steps to retract and extend. It is usually very difficult to do until the Liquid wrench penetrates the pivot points. Once you have this done, the steps will then easily just fall open and with one finger you can retract. Then reconnect the linkage. THEN, clean and lube once a month. Your complaint is what usually ruins the step motor. Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Had that problem after a small Accident,, bent things back as best I could hammered a couple other things to give better clearance and still no joy.

Finally broke out the WD-40, this is a cleaner and penetrate That did the job.
Then a few days later hit it with a good quality lubrication spray.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
When our steps move slow or don't come in all the way, I will spray them very generously with Simple Green and operate the steps and spray even more. I will get an old tooth brush and clean the tracks and the ball bearings that I can reach. Then, I hose them down really good and they seem to work just fine.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins