Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 1977 Dodge Van Class B Conversion Restoration Thread
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  DIY

> 1977 Dodge Van Class B Conversion Restoration Thread

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev
Traveler7

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/18 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goreds2 wrote:

Nice job.

Thank you! I've got the Wagan Inverter wired in now and I'm testing it- so far it is excellent.

"We are not defined by our limitations, we are defined by our potential"

Traveler7

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Day for the van today- cut out the piece of osb board for the upstairs bed and my flooring came in a week early so I picked it up! My brother amd I spent all day installing it.

It is from Lumber Liquidators and is a laminate called American Beech. It was on sale for 59 cents a foot, so a bargain1

Here are some pics:

I cleaned and wiped down the plywood subfloor and covered the hole where the table mount used to be screwed into-

[image]

Then we laid down the foam layer for the click together floating floor to float on

[image]

Here sre the boxes of flooring- American Beech color

[image]

Laying the first couple of clicker boards was very difficult and frustrating because the van is old and the cabinet has bowed in so nothing is square. Once we got several together it became easier, but there was some swearing and bleeding until then!

[image]

[image]

[image]

Detail of the flooring-

[image]

finished laying it!

[image]

[image]

This was a big deal getting this accomplished and Cutting the board for the bed. I also experimented with running the fridge off of the battery and inverter and ran it that way most of day with partly cloudy weather and then storm clouds rolled in and I went back to plugging it into the external power. Fridge was at 29 degrees all day so I need to work this out and try for an even temperature around 35-40 degrees.

I also wired in the Propane detector today and it has power- haven't experimented with it yet.

More notes later on next project and completing the flooring by adding based board and trim.

Thanks for checking in on my project- please leave a comment if you have time :-)

* This post was last edited 06/09/18 10:38pm by Traveler7 *   View edit history

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The floor looks great! Careful you don't run your battery down with the fridge, is death to battery..

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Traveler7

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naio wrote:

The floor looks great! Careful you don't run your battery down with the fridge, is death to battery..

Thank you. Yes, the fridge thing was an experiment to get some load data about my system and I carefully monitored it. Good news is it would work just fine given full sun days!

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm glad to hear :-)

Traveler7

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/18 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK so the flooring is in and now I am focused up on organizing the battery compartment and getting the controller panel mounted and all the wire runs cleaned up so I can put my couch back together!

Pics of the completed moves:

Project board
[image]

Overview
[image]

I think I will mount some kind of cage around the board so I can store items in that space without worrying, but that's for another day.

Thanks for checking in here!!

Traveler7

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/18 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More van work today-

Put new seatcovers on and installed a Kidde Fire and CO2 Detector

Pics

[image]

They are suede-ish.....
[image]

This is a Kidde Voice Fire and CO2 Detector Battery powered

[image]

And I am also clearing away the old carpet so my upstairs bed board extension will fit and slide easily into place...

[image]

Thanks for checking in- comments appreciated!

* This post was edited 06/16/18 02:49pm by Traveler7 *

Traveler7

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/18 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Upstairs bed finished!

Pic

[image]

Another thing off the punch list!

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/18 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great thread. I stumbled over a photo my first "RV" and thought you might like to see it. I forget the year, I think maybe 70 or 72, but I know the photo was taken in 1977 in Montana while touring the US and Canada after college. That Dodge was a great van. I bought it bare, did some body work and painting and new wheels then insulated, paneled, installed a bed and cold water sink. I carried an alcohol single burner stove and back then a CB radio was mandatory.

[image]

I went full circle. From that to a 32 foot class A, then to a 36 DP, and now back to a big van.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Traveler7

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/18 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

Great thread. I stumbled over a photo my first "RV" and thought you might like to see it. I forget the year, I think maybe 70 or 72, but I know the photo was taken in 1977 in Montana while touring the US and Canada after college. That Dodge was a great van. I bought it bare, did some body work and painting and new wheels then insulated, paneled, installed a bed and cold water sink. I carried an alcohol single burner stove and back then a CB radio was mandatory.

[image]

I went full circle. From that to a 32 foot class A, then to a 36 DP, and now back to a big van.

Dave

I love it! Awesome van!!! Thanks for the pic!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  DIY

> 1977 Dodge Van Class B Conversion Restoration Thread
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS