Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 1977 Dodge Van Class B Conversion Restoration Thread
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  DIY

> 1977 Dodge Van Class B Conversion Restoration Thread

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Bigdog57

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/14 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you are on the right track with the wiper problem. My 'new to me' '88 E150 wipers were broken - the dash switch was damaged. I had to order the part from Rock Auto - great place for older vehicle parts! The wiper switch in my late Dad's old E150 I inherited (a rusty ruin not worth rebuilding) didn't work - different connector as the newer van has the delay function the older van lacks. Keep this in mind as you order parts or get them from a junkyard vehicle - they often have different options.

Traveler7

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/14 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK today I went to my friends shop and we tested the wiper switch, the firewall plug connectors and the wiper motor with his 12 volt powered test lights which let him supply the power to a circuit independent of the battery or switch. The motor would turn at one speed when he put power to it, but his ultimate diagnosis is that the motor is bad inside and not making the proper connections internally when prompted from the switch so a new(rebuilt) motor is on order and will be available tomorrow from my FLAPS. Replace it and see what happens (sigh). I am still worried about the PO's mods to the electrical system and the extra wires running. Fingers crossed!

Traveler7

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/14 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got another remanned wiper motor today- same issues- missing return post and only works on one speed. This one I installed- wipers on one speed only are better than no wipers!!!! The speed issue could still be related to electrical wiring issues I haven't sorted yet. This time I kept my old motor and I will see how much it will cost to inspect and rebuild it as well and if that isn't too much, put it back in and sell this one on Ebay....core price was only 5 bucks! Sooooo $70 for basically working wipers....ouch!

For fun I am looking at kitchen Backsplash materials and thinking Interior Decorating now....also my Mom got me some nice Cuisinart pots and an 8" fry pan today as a Van Warming present- NICE!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU DEAR PEOPLE!!!!!

"We are not defined by our limitations, we are defined by our potential"

Traveler7

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/15 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Day Today! We finally got some decent weather with the sun coming out and Temps in the high 30's so it was time to install the backup camera and put my new license plates on!!!!!!

Here is a pic of the camera system I bought from Walmart.com-
Pyle Audio PLCM34WIR which is a wireless camera with night vision and a 3.5 inch color monitor
[image][image]
The camera is a license plate attachable model so time to put my new plates on as well:
[image]
I ran the wiring for the camera behind the plate light housing
[image]
[image]
Of course working on any project leads to fixing other problems, in my case the plate light wasn't working- bulb was damaged, but there was no power to it either...darn....traced the power issue to the bare metal connection Dodge used to make a circuit and be able to open the left back door without wires dragging out :
[image]
You can see both sides of the circuit above. To get power there I needed to file and clean the bare metal on both sides and make a shim for the door side of the circuit to push the contacts together more securely
[image]
I secured the shim tightly and mounted the camera and attached my new rear plate
[image]
Next I pulled the left tail and backup lights- the backup bulb was out as well!
Cleaned it up and inspected the wiring
[image]
I had to go to my FLAPS and buy light bulbs and electrical tape, good news on this was I followed a DeLorean!!!!! BACK TO THE FUTURE DOC!!!(sorry , no pic)
[image]
I created my ground wire for the camera (Blue wire at right)
[image]
and tested the camera by taping to the 'hot' side of the plate light connector
[image]
and Voila!!!!
[image] a picture!!! (this is my first twelve volt wiring project so I am frankly amazed when anything works!)
Final part was connecting the camera hot wire to the backup light and I did this by butt connecting it to a larger jumper wire (white)and exposing the backup light hot wire and splicing with black tape to finish it off
[image]
[image]
Then cleaned up the wires with some twisty ties and put the tools away and done!
[image]
Finally mounted the front plate and TAO 7 is ready to roll!
[image]
Thanks for staying tune...new tires and shocks as the next upgrade when I can afford it....

* This post was edited 01/13/15 06:39pm by Traveler7 *

Traveler7

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/15 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Latest Van Upgrade Project- Seat Repair!!!

As you will see in the pics, the fabric on my seats was shredded and the foam was decomposing and tearing out---Sad Day! When I have more money to budget on 'Home Improvements' I will get them professionally redone, but to protect what foam was left and to make the seat more presentable I decided to get some new seat covers and use blue closed cell foam and duct tape to cover the damaged cushions. We had a nice day yesterday so I pulled both seats and purchased some tan colored Dickey Seat covers at Walmart (21.50 on a gift card from Xmas)and Duck Tape, then I went to Big 5 and found a blue 3/4 inch closed cell foam camping pad that was damaged so they sold the 12 dollar pad to me for five bucks! I made a template by tracing the shape of the seat on some newspaper with a marker and cut that out and traced the shape onto the foam pad, cut out foam and taped it over the damaged seat with the Duck Tape. Repeated with the second seat. Then I removed the arms from the seats and with my Dad's help we put the Dickey covers on both seats. We used some small stretchy cord with hooks that I cut off of the old damaged seat covers to stretch the fabric really tightly over the old seats and some safety pins at the bottom corners. I made a new hole in the new covers to attach the arms back on and replaced the stripped bolts on the arms so they smoothly move up and down.
Then I re-installed the seats and it looks so much better now! Sorry- no pics of the construction process, but below please find before and after pics! Thanks for following along!!!!!

BEFORE
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

AFTER
[image]
[image]

I also found out that my passenger seat reclines pretty far :-)
[image]

Anyway, I think it is a big improvement!

[image]

stan909

San Bernardino,Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/15 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice fix. Duct tape is amazing.

Traveler7

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/15 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you, Stan- I like your sportmobile poptop! Do you have any interior pics? Always looking for inspiration lol....

924guy

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/15 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

great thread, thanks for posting! I am going through some of the same stuff with my new to me 92 Coachmen van.

Eric
92 Coachmen Class B, Dodge chassis
The War Wagon...
https://www.facebook.com/BedraggledClassBCampers

Traveler7

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/15 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks 924Guy, let's follow each others work on these 'New' to us vehicles!

Traveler7

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/15 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today was a maintenance day. I am getting ready to take my first camping weekend in the van over my birthday weekend- April 17-19!

I drained the oil and fixed a small leak on my oil pan caused by the PO's bad mechanic. I used JB Weld on a spot about the size of a small pin hole. Before this the PO had been slathering on gasket seal all over the pan and it was still leaking. After draining I scrapped all of the old gasket seal off and and cleaned the area. To find the leak I poured some of the old oil back in and waited for it to start, marked it with a red marker and drained the oil again. When the JB Weld is cured in 24 hours I will add the new oil and inspect.

Fingers crossed!

* This post was edited 03/29/15 08:15pm by Traveler7 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  DIY

> 1977 Dodge Van Class B Conversion Restoration Thread
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS