Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: My Chevrolet Express van Class B- camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  DIY

> My Chevrolet Express van Class B- camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 26  
Prev  |  Next
Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/20 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was prepared to unleash my angle grinder and cut the bolts shorter, but there was enough clearance that I did not have to do that. Good luck on your project. I have not decided whether I want to put a swivel on the driver's seat. If my wife really likes the seat swiveled, I may have to do the driver's seat too.

J herb

So. Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/20 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HI Mike,
thanks for the new picture of your swivel install, I ordered mine on 2/20/20 and they told me it would ship around 4/8/20, how long did you have to wait for yours ?

In your last picture it looks like you have a carpeted floor mats on top of your OEM flooring ! if so were did you get them as I haven't found any yet. Jay

J herb

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/20 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

J herb wrote:

HI Mike,
thanks for the new picture of your swivel install, I ordered mine on 2/20/20 and they told me it would ship around 4/8/20, how long did you have to wait for yours ?

In your last picture it looks like you have a carpeted floor mats on top of your OEM flooring ! if so were did you get them as I haven't found any yet. Jay

I think my seat swivel took about 2-3 weeks, if I remember correctly. I remember them sending me an email about it taking awhile because they don't make them until they receive the order. So they have to make them first and then send them out.

As to the carpeted floor matt, my wife found a gray one that was 4'x4' which was just the right size for the area behind the seat and in front of my bed frame. I did have to raise my kitchen unit up to slide it under part of it. It did cost about $80 though. Here is where she got it from:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D0OMAM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The floor mats in front of the driver & passenger seats we ordered from a different location. We got them at:
https://www.carid.com/lloyd-mats/lloyd-classic-loop-floor-mats-4137888.html

Keep on Modifying your van!

* This post was edited 03/13/20 10:12am by Black'95 *

J herb

So. Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/20 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike, thanks for the info on the floor mats.
I just posted some info on TPMS for GM vehicles that you may be interested in.

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/20 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now that I have made some improvements to my van camper it is time to put it to good use. Last weekend the temps were predicted to be in the 60's & 70's for the Black Hills regions of South Dakota, we headed out for a camping trip to Custer State Park which is south of Rapid City, SD.

[image]
On the wildlife loop of Custer State Park you can always see buffalo from a distance.

[image]
Sometimes the buffalo get up close and personal. They have been known to damage cars but we gave them plenty of space. It gets a little more dicey if you are on a motorcycle.

[image]
There are more wildlife to see than just buffalo. On the trip back home on I-90 we saw a herd of about 50 antelope formed in a perfect circle (like circling the wagons in an old wagon train) with all the outside ones looking outward. I had never seen this before and, unfortunately, didn't get a picture of it. My wife looked it up on the internet and learned that this is a protective formation taken when a predator is near by. Did not see the predator.

[image]
More wildlife on the loop included several colonies of prairie dogs.

[image]
We saw about four magpies on the loop drive. This one sat patiently while I grabbed my camera.

[image]
Back in the campground on our walk we saw several nuthatches.

[image]
The lake at the Game Lodge Campground was still frozen over and the cattails were starting to shred. The visitor center was open just beyond the lake.

[image]
Looking up I spotted a nice contrail. You often see these because of the nearness of the Ellsworth Air Force Base and their big bombers.

[image]
While looking up I noticed the full moon quite visible in the middle of the day. The previous night it was so bright you could see moon shadows.

All of my pictures are reduced to 640x480 format for faster loading. If anyone would like a high resolution shot or a pdf of my guide to the Black Hills I give to my science teacher friends please contact me at:
[email protected]

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/20 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

J herb wrote:

Thanks but I am not familiar with TPMS. What is that?

J herb

So. Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/20 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Black'95 wrote:

J herb wrote:

Thanks but I am not familiar with TPMS. What is that?

Mike, go over to my new posting and you will get all the info their, be sure to click on the videos.

Nice pictures and it's nice to get a break from winter, I have a few things to do around the house than we will be taking the van out for a few days.

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

J herb wrote:

........Mike, go over to my new posting and you will get all the info their, be sure to click on the videos.

Thanks. I will have to get one of those tools.

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/20 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago my wife and I bought a 1977 Dodge factory hippie van. I had brand new carpet in it from ceiling to floor. It had the dinette/bed in the back, the closet, sink, ice box and cabinets. We left the bed a bed. I was driving down a long lost highway and saw a crashed class B in a junk yard next to the highway. I had $175.00 in my pocket. With that I bought a big window and the roof AC off of the crashed van. I added the AC unit, a Coleman, and the big slide open window. I wired it for shore power and also added a microwave oven. We made some curtains for it and had a porta pottie. That was in the mid 1980s. Since that time we have owned a couple of travel trailers, a slide in cabover camper and a class A motorhome. They have all been fun but, that old van was the most fun we ever had RV-ing.

We would get off of work on Fridays, load up the pups, hit a grocery store on the way out of town, and go camping. The freedom to go at a moment's notice was amazing. Yes, it was cramped after a few days but, for long weekends there nothing better.

drsolo

Milwaukee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

falconbrother wrote:

Years ago my wife and I bought a 1977 Dodge factory hippie van. They have all been fun but, that old van was the most fun we ever had RV-ing. .....Yes, it was cramped after a few days but, for long weekends there nothing better.

I live out of my 1992 GMC RVan for 6 months now per year in winter. Just me, DH has the 17' trailer but I dont feel cramped at all just me and the dogs. I spend time outdoors which is the purpose of camping. Right now we are living in splendid isolation from COVID-19.
[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 26  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  DIY

> My Chevrolet Express van Class B- camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.