Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: My Chevrolet Express van Class B- camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  DIY

> My Chevrolet Express van Class B- camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 26  
Prev  |  Next
J herb

So. Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/20 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know a lot of people would not do what I with my van, but it is what I live and I enjoy modifying it and camping this way. This summer I sold our 23 foot trailer camper and now do all our camping in the DIY van. This summer due to Covid-19 we set a new goal to camp in all the South Dakota Game,Fish & Parks campgrounds that we have not camped in before. I just finished camping at Lake Poinsett Recreation Area.

[image]

[image]
They have many campsites for the water lovers!

[image]
They have an interesting planter by the comfort station in Campground 2.

[image]
I still take the time to make some morning campground coffee. I boil water in the black pot and pour it into my old fashioned "drip-o-lator." I can remember my aunt Rhea making coffee this way whenever we visited them, but she boiled the water on her stove. My parents made coffee by boiling water and coffee grounds on the stove in a pan. when it was done we poured off the coffee because the coffee grounds had settled to the bottom, but it seems there was always a "floater or two."

Mike, I like seeing your new mods and like you I enjoy doing my own.
Glad to see you getting out and enjoying your retirement and thanks for the camping reports and pictures.

We took the van out yesterday ( Thursday ) and went to check out some old campgrounds and some dispersed sites ( found some new dispersed sites )that will be great Spring and Fall places to camp at.

J herb

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

J herb wrote:

..........We took the van out yesterday ( Thursday ) and went to check out some old campgrounds and some dispersed sites ( found some new dispersed sites )that will be great Spring and Fall places to camp at.

What are dispersed sites?

J herb

So. Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/20 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Black'95 wrote:

J herb wrote:

..........We took the van out yesterday ( Thursday ) and went to check out some old campgrounds and some dispersed sites ( found some new dispersed sites )that will be great Spring and Fall places to camp at.

What are dispersed sites?

Mike, dispersed sites are places in the US.Forest or BLM land out west and are all most the same as boondock camping. You can only camp in certain places that the USFS & BLM OK the spot, we have lots of them in the western states.

We may go check out some more places Friday and if we do I will take some pictures of the spots and post them.

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Continuing with our goal of visiting all of the state campsites we have never camped in before in our home state of South Dakota, we visited the Llewellyn Johns Recreation Area and the Shadehill Recreation Area. This is also near the Hugh Glass Memorial. He was made famous in the movie, The Revanant. They took a lot of poetic license making that movie because it was almost nothing like the real events and locations.
[image]

Our first stop was the gazebo type of monument to Llewellyn Johns. It is made of petrified wood that is found all over in this northwestern area of SD near the cowboy town of Lemmon.
[image]

You can see the lake in the background.
[image]

You have to be on the lookout for these when walking around this area, especially if you have cloth type shoes or tennis shoes. It is called brittle prickly pear cactus because it breaks off easily and sticks to your shoes or whatever part of you contacts it.
[image]

After spending one night at the Llewellyn Johns campground (a small one with 10 electrical sites and no showers, we moved on to the much larger (85 sites & about 7 cabins and several comfort stations with hot showers) Shadehill Recreaction Area. This campground in located on the shores of the Shadehill Reservoir which is quite large.
[image]

We were pleasantly surprised at all the birds we could see from our campsite. The first is a western kingbird and the second is a brown-headed cowbird, both native to this area.
[image]
[image]

Another bird we saw that is migratory and not native to the area is the cedar waxwing.
[image]

I found out you can always learn something new. We heard this booming, vibratory sound as we walked in the campground. I finally located the source. It was a nighthawk. It would fly up and then make a dive which produced the sound from it feathers. My wife looked it up on the internet and this is a mating activity and sound that I had never heard before.
[image]

On our drive out of the campground the next morning we came upon this group of buzzards.
[image]

We like to cook over the campfire and I had another chance to prepare my diced potatoes for supper.
[image]

The next campgrounds we visit will be in the southern part of the state.

J herb

So. Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/20 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike,
glad to see that you are getting out and camping and I like seeing pictures of places I haven't been too. I like the picture of your van at the gazebo.
It's been 4 years since we were in South Dakota and hope to go back in a year or two.

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

J herb wrote:

Mike,
......It's been 4 years since we were in South Dakota and hope to go back in a year or two.

It has been longer than 4 years since I have been to Oregon. I think the last time was a couple of years after the Mt. St. Helens park was set up as I remember driving through it and taking slides of it for use in my earth science class that I taught. Hopefully when this pandemic thing is over with or contained I will start taking trips west again. Utah is one of my favorites because of the numerous national and state parks. Kodachrome Basin in one of my favorites. One night it was getting late and we had not found a campground, so we drove into Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park in Utah because they had one or two sites not taken. My wife and I thought we are never going to get any sleep here because every site had dune buggies that they raced around the sand dunes with. But when 10 o'clock quiet hours went into effect you could have heard a pin drop because all the dune buggies were put to bed for the night. Very nice experience.

This Sunday we go on the next step in our quest to visit all the state recreation areas in our home state of South Dakota and camp in every one. We crossed two in the north western part of the state off our list last weekend (as you can see in my previous post) and this weekend will get two more in the southern part of the state.

We usually take in the Black Hills Corvette Classic rally in Spearfish, SD this time of the year but this year for the first time in 49 years it has been cancelled due to Covid-19, so I guess we will do more camping. Hopefully they will plan for a really big rally next year which will be the 50th.

Frost12321

Atlanta

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is really important to breathe well while you sleep! But it’s really cool that you have been camping for so long.

J herb

So. Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/20 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Black'95 wrote:

J herb wrote:

Mike,
......It's been 4 years since we were in South Dakota and hope to go back in a year or two.

It has been longer than 4 years since I have been to Oregon. I think the last time was a couple of years after the Mt. St. Helens park was set up as I remember driving through it and taking slides of it for use in my earth science class that I taught. Hopefully when this pandemic thing is over with or contained I will start taking trips west again. Utah is one of my favorites because of the numerous national and state parks. Kodachrome Basin in one of my favorites. One night it was getting late and we had not found a campground, so we drove into Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park in Utah because they had one or two sites not taken. My wife and I thought we are never going to get any sleep here because every site had dune buggies that they raced around the sand dunes with. But when 10 o'clock quiet hours went into effect you could have heard a pin drop because all the dune buggies were put to bed for the night. Very nice experience.

This Sunday we go on the next step in our quest to visit all the state recreation areas in our home state of South Dakota and camp in every one. We crossed two in the north western part of the state off our list last weekend (as you can see in my previous post) and this weekend will get two more in the southern part of the state.

We usually take in the Black Hills Corvette Classic rally in Spearfish, SD this time of the year but this year for the first time in 49 years it has been cancelled due to Covid-19, so I guess we will do more camping. Hopefully they will plan for a really big rally next year which will be the 50th.

Mike, looking forward to hearing and seeing the pictures of your next adventures. We are going to a State Park camping for the 4th but don't usually go on holidays but we are going to get the dog away from the fireworks as it really upsets her even with meds from her vet.
We do most all our camping in the spring ,fall and winter time do to no mosquitoes and no crowds. Not all State, USFS. and BlM CGs are open here in Oregon ( do to Covid-19 ) so all the CGs that are open are all full.

We also like Utah and been to their SP. and NP.and will go back when we can.

Did you see my pictures that I posted at Looking for new boondocking / dispersed sites ?

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

J herb wrote:

............Did you see my pictures that I posted at Looking for new boondocking / dispersed sites ?

Yes, I did. I think the only dispersed sites we have are in the western part of our state in the Badlands BLM land and the Black Hills National Forest area. I will have to look into it some more.

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last weekend we traveled to two more South Dakota campgrounds that we have never visited before. The first one was Snake Creek Recreation Area west of Platte, SD along the Missouri River.
[image]

We stayed there the first night then traveled on to Platte Creek Recreation Area about 20 miles south of there. Interestingly enough, we never saw any snakes at Snake Creek.
[image]

Our campsite at Platte Creek was very shady and private because during the week the occupancy is quite low.
[image]

We did have an exciting visitor about supper time. He/she was coming across the road heading right for one of the trees in our site. I was able to herd him into the grass beyond our site. But about 15 minutes later a second one came along with the birds harassing it. A western kingbird is pictured ascending in flight after ticking the snake on his head.
[image]

The snake (a non-poisonous bullsnake)did manage to elude the birds and get to our campsite tree. They do like to climb and are good at it.
[image]

My wife and I spent the next several hours watching the snake and taking pictures of it as it searched throughout the tree for bird nests. In this picture the snake is about 30 feet above our heads
[image]

I knew they were good climbers. I searched through my picture archives and found one that I got back about 1979 of a bullsnake climbing a brick wall to get at the swallow nests under the eaves of the building.
[image]

All in all, it was an interesting evening. We later went for a hike and forgot about the snake, so I don't know if he ever found any of the bird nests in the tree or got blown out by the rainstorm later in the night.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 26  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  DIY

> My Chevrolet Express van Class B- camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.