Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: My Chevrolet Express van Class B- camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  DIY

> My Chevrolet Express van Class B- camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 32  
Prev  |  Next
drsolo

Milwaukee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/20 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seon wrote:

In the 60's I converted a cargo van for camping that served my three kids, wife and I well.. I'm thinking of buying a cargo van and converting it with a bed, carpet, wall insulation and packing cooking gears for those multi-days of solo fishing trips.

It sounds like you been there, done that and have the memories. Time to do it. I wouldnt give up my RVan. I just hooked a TD onto it for my husband.

Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

J herb

So. Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/20 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Black'95 wrote:

J herb wrote:

..... I see that you do metal detecting and I did for a time but getting back into it soon, I have a Whites Coin Master Pro metal detector and have found a lot of things and over $300 dollars in coins and even a gold ring with diamonds. What do you have for a metal detector and what do you go looking for ?
Jay

I have a Garrett Ace 250 that my sisters got for me a few years ago. They thought I could use it as I was retired. I have not found a lot of stuff, just a few coins, a few rusty tools and an old calvary button or two. I need to spend some time learning the finer points in metal detection to fully utilize the capabilities of my detector. Hopefully, this summer will be my time to do this.

Mike, the Ace 250 is a good metal detector and you can find lots of good things, I use headphones ( from Big Lots $ 10 or $12)and they work good. I have been MDing for several years and go by sound to tell
what might be berried than look at my screen to see what it shows.
Check out You tube for the Ace 250 and how get the best use out of it.

J herb

J herb

So. Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/20 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seon wrote:

In the 60's I converted a cargo van for camping that served my three kids, wife and I well. Then moved up to a 5'er and subsequently to other RVs.

I recently sold my class c that I towed my boat and currently have a TT for the wife and I.
Problem now is when towing the boat with my Yukon, I don't have sleeping accommodations. I'm thinking of buying a cargo van and converting it with a bed, carpet, wall insulation and packing cooking gears for those multi-days of solo fishing trips.

Seon,
I have a 2017 GMC cargo that I converted to a camper, I tow my Casita trailer with it for 3 plus days trips and use the van for me when the wife doesn't want to go. Check out my postings here on the RV Net.
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30038230.cfm
or click here
If you get a van and convert it take pictures and post them here.

* This post was edited 12/13/20 09:15pm by J herb *

Seon

Lake Camanche, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/20 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

J herb wrote:

If you get a van and convert it take pictures and post them here.

I certainly will post the conversion stages here.

I've been searching craigslist for a couple of weeks now and see many cargo vans but they're either high mileage, rough condition or priced too high.

My boat is 6k# so need a minimum 5.2l or larger v8 with less than 100k miles. I'm not in a rush but will find one.

drsolo

Milwaukee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/20 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seon wrote:

I've been searching craigslist for a couple of weeks now and see many cargo vans but they're either high mileage, rough condition or priced too high..

there seems to be a run on vans for camper van conversion right now. on my RV FB site they are taking bets on when the first of the trailers and motorhomes bought during the epidemic will be hitting the used market.

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ever since I added an 12 volt water pump to my DIY van camper conversion sink, it has pumped too fast when I switched it on. I requested some help in another forum link and found the answer I needed. So recently I purchased a 12 volt motor speed voltage regulator, installed it and it solved my problem. I can now turn down the speed of the pump for small water jobs and turn it up full blast for filling my coffee pot to make campground coffee. I like the model with the volume knob on wires so I could mount it close to the faucet handle and have the circuit board hidden away under neath the cabinet. I am not making any major changes to my van camper -- now I am just "polishing the apple."

[image]

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cooped up in my garage due to Covid, I have had time to work on my DIY van conversion again. I needed a place to store my toys and had some extra space on the driver's side of the roof rack. I have an extra water storage tube on the passenger side. Taking all my measurements, I built a long box in my wood shop. I needed it long for storing my fishing rods, metal detector, remote controlled car, and other items I want to carry with me but not clutter up the inside of the van. Here is a picture of it from the back and another picture from the front and side. Once I get it out in the outside light I will update the photos and add on showing the space inside.

[image]

[image]

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now that I have upgraded to a 2018 Express van, I have my old 3 Volume set of 2001 Express/Savana GM Service Manuals for sale for $75 with free shipping OBO
Contact: Private Message me: Black'95 or email: [email protected]

[image]

* This post was edited 03/17/21 06:16pm by Black'95 *

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whenever the weather gets warm (50 degrees F or higher) we pack up the van and head for the Black Hills to camp and escape the snow here at home. Feb. 1-3 turned out to be one of those days.

We stocked up on firewood at our favorite gas stop on the way into Custer State Park Game Lodge Campground.
[image]

The next day we headed out on the Wildlife Loop and are always greeted somewhere along the loop by the friendly burros.
[image]

They are always ready for a handout.
[image]

You must be prepared for a little donkey slobber when you roll up your windows to leave as they always want more handouts.
[image]

Another regular that you can't miss on the wildlife loop are the prairie dogs and they are always entertaining.
[image]

Buffalo or more correctly bison can be seen either on or near the road or in the state buffalo pens. SD is famous for their September buffalo roundup and draw in thousands of observers every roundup.
[image]

The big horned sheep can often be seen here as well as in the Badlands National Park.
[image]

We saw plenty of magpies and I was lucky enough to get a shot of this one. Usually we see them flying by.
[image]

After finishing the wildlife loop we stopped at the picnic area near Mt. Coolidge for lunch.
[image]

While there we spotted several chickadees that delighted in entertaining us in and around the lookout deck while we ate.
[image]

Walking back to the van from the lookout deck area we spotted a Steller's Jay in the trees.
[image]

Returning to our campsite from our morning and afternoon of sight seeing we were greeted by the campground host. Us, the crows and the constant squirrels were the only residents of the campground today.
[image]

we saw many, many deer on the loop and along the forest roads. Every night we camp there a herd comes in at twilight and beds down around us for the night. Even when we packed up and left the campground for home we saw them.
[image]

When we got home we were greeted by everything covered in frost. Our home area had been in freezing fog for the three days we were gone. That night it even knocked out the electricity for the area for about three to four hours. I fired up the generator and we had heat, TV and internet services back again.
[image]

You can see how thick the frost was on the bird feeder chain outside our window.
[image]

It always helps our spirits when we can get away for a few days of camping in the middle of winter.

* This post was edited 02/07/21 09:25am by Black'95 *

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The latest addition to my camping van is a cell phone holder that I received as a Christmas present from my youngest son. It turned out to be quite handy hanging from an AC vent as it held both mine and my wife's phone.
[image]

He also gave me a little magnetic light that is both solar and motion activated. It worked great after dark to light the campsite.
[image]

* This post was edited 02/07/21 09:18am by Black'95 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 32  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  DIY

> My Chevrolet Express van Class B- camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.