Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: My Chevrolet Express van Class B- camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  DIY

> My Chevrolet Express van Class B- camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 32  
Prev  |  Next
coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/14 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobm253 wrote:

where did you get the 120 volts when in the snow storm?

I was wondering this too. Are you running a generator?

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/14 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobm253 wrote:

It was a free campground in the town that offered electrical hookups. Most of the small towns in the Dakota's, Nebraska and surrounding states offer free campgrounds with free electrical hookups in their city parks. Most of the small towns (200-1000 population) have 3-4 free hookups. They sometimes have water too until the weather gets below freezing. Common thing out here on the Great Plains. The snow was just a few inches and did not do a lot of blowing around so it wasn't a true snow storm. We did have to follow the snowplow most of the way to Chadron, NE before it turned into just rain.

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/14 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

bobm253 wrote:

I was wondering this too. Are you running a generator?

No generator. A small snow storm of a couple of inches of snow doesn't knock out the power anyplace in the Great Plains unless it is freezing rain, then the power lines can get covered in ice and come down. That doesn't happen too often out here.

Gene in NE

Omaha

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/14 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Black'95 wrote:

bobm253 wrote:

It was a free campground in the town that offered electrical hookups. Most of the small towns in the Dakota's, Nebraska and surrounding states offer free campgrounds with free electrical hookups in their city parks. Most of the small towns (200-1000 population) have 3-4 free hookups. They sometimes have water too until the weather gets below freezing. Common thing out here on the Great Plains. The snow was just a few inches and did not do a lot of blowing around so it wasn't a true snow storm. We did have to follow the snowplow most of the way to Chadron, NE before it turned into just rain.
That is one of the many advantages of the Midwest. We actually try to keep that a secret. In the State of Nebraska, there are 96 counties. As far as I know, every County has a County fair. That is where the surrounding residents come to the County Seat and spend several days showing what they have created, groomed, and entered into competition. To make this more comfortable, they are provided water and electricity for their use. [emoticon]

2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/14 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those little campgrounds are very nice. I spent a couple of nights at the fairgrounds in Blue Earth, Minnesota---full hookups, nice shower house, very quiet, totally free for up to 4 nights. $5.00/night on the 5th night. We did leave a donation, though!

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/14 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

Those little campgrounds are very nice. I spent a couple of nights at the fairgrounds in Blue Earth, Minnesota---full hookups, nice shower house, very quiet, totally free for up to 4 nights. $5.00/night on the 5th night. We did leave a donation, though!

Yes, we have one of them in our small town in SD. It is located in city park, has 3 sites with free electricity, water in the summer, and a free dump station to boot. We don't have showers, just restrooms. Almost every little town around us has a small free campground also. We have a small 9-hole sand green golf course that you can play on too while you visit that I help maintain in the summer.

And garmp1, I really like your idea of a rotisserie. May have to get to work and make one of them this winter after I get all the modifications done to my camper van. I am hoping more people will post ideas of what they have done so the rest of us can use and modify them.

* This post was edited 09/12/16 08:43am by Black'95 *

cbigham

orange , CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/15 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

All you need now is an indoor shower!

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/15 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cbigham wrote:

[image]

All you need now is an indoor shower!

Yes, I have been trying to figure that out but haven't solved the problem in the small confined space of our van yet!
[emoticon]

drsolo

Milwaukee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/15 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why inside?

Here is the tent we got.

* This post was edited 01/09/15 11:01am by drsolo *

Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/15 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsolo wrote:

Why inside?

[image]

Warmth & privacy.

But there are small pop-up shelters that would work very well.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 32  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  DIY

> My Chevrolet Express van Class B- camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.