Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: My Chevrolet Express van Class B- camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  DIY

> My Chevrolet Express van Class B- camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 32  
Prev  |  Next
cbigham

orange , CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/15 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Black'95 wrote:

cbigham wrote:

[image]

All you need now is an indoor shower!

Yes, I have been trying to figure that out but haven't solved the problem in the small confined space of our van yet!
[emoticon]

Why inside? Been dirty, sweaty but snowing outside? Cold wind a howlin'? I have an outdoor shower but not too convenient and can be cold, muddy.

I was all worked up to add indoor shower, pan and stall to my van, at a cost of over 2k for the modifications. I looked at the roadtrek set up and read some forums here. After you shower, you need to wipe everything, curtain, floor, stall, hose all off dry and be careful where you move and how while showering. Most owners considered the show an occasional use if you must or can't use the campground kinda deal. Big clean up pain.

I never use more th an a gallon or two of water in my larger motorhome showers, so in the van, theb $8.47 kiddie pool and a $3 sham wow with a couple pots works perfect! Dump water in my sink, tuck the pool up in the bubble top, all done. It's camping, and I never go to places with hook ups or campgrounds.

[image]

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/15 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsolo wrote:

Why inside?

Here is the tent we got.

Thanks for including the link to your van conversion. I enjoy seeing what others have done to their vans because it gives me ideas to try in my van conversion. I, too, am a retired teacher traveling in my 2001 Chevy Express van conversion.

cbigham

orange , CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/15 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting coincidence, I taught science for many years, part of those years I was an Army reserve officer. Seems a while back!

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/15 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cbigham wrote:

Interesting coincidence, I taught science for many years, part of those years I was an Army reserve officer. Seems a while back!

Speaking of coincidence, me: 39 years teaching all the science classes in a small rural high school in South Dakota after 4 years in the Navy (second class petty officer - radioman) during the Vietnam era. Love hiking, camping, photography, Corvettes, and golfing on sand green golf courses during retirement.

drsolo

Milwaukee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/15 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Black'95 wrote:

cbigham wrote:

Speaking of coincidence, me: 39 years teaching all the science classes in a small rural high school in South Dakota after 4 years in the Navy (second class petty officer - radioman) during the Vietnam era. Love hiking, camping, photography, Corvettes, and golfing on sand green golf courses during retirement.

I taught interdisciplinary science for 18 years on college. My DH is still teaching science in HS. He is looking forward to retiring and traveling with me.

Maybe we need to schedule a traveling retired science teachers meet up?

Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

drsolo

Milwaukee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/15 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Black'95 wrote:

drsolo wrote:

Why inside?

Here is the tent we got.

Thanks for including the link to your van conversion. I enjoy seeing what others have done to their vans because it gives me ideas to try in my van conversion. I, too, am a retired teacher traveling in my 2001 Chevy Express van conversion.

I am just sorry I havent updated my further conversion... sigh. Helping a new person to get on the road. Been a little bumpy.

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/15 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This weekend resulted in one more modificatIon to my camper van. I added an auxiliary battery to the frame underneath. It supplies power to the lights, power plugs, 12 volt to 110 volt AC converter, and water pump for the camper part of my van. I connected it to the main battery through an ignition controlled relay so it is isolated from the main battery when the ignition is off. A Battery Tender trickle charger keeps it topped off when connected to shore power.
[image]

* This post was last edited 07/26/19 11:00am by Black'95 *   View edit history

Traveler7

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/15 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That looks like a very nice job there` Black!

"We are not defined by our limitations, we are defined by our potential"

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/15 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Traveler7 wrote:

That looks like a very nice job there` Black!

Thanks! I had to use an L-shaped bolt (that I welded) to hold the battery box on the frame because I couldn't go all the way through the box frame due to the gas tank being on the other side.

* This post was edited 02/21/15 01:28pm by Black'95 *

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/15 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just finished the latest addition to the camper van. I remodeled the old roof rack box to fit the tray on the rear hitch. We will use it to carry extra food, water, firewood, propane canisters, and anything else we don't have room for inside the van. It is 20" x 60" which is the size of the tray. I made it only 10" high so I could open the rear van doors without removing the box like we had to do with the plastic commercial box I had been using. Since then I have made a couple of modification to the blue box. I routered some grooves in the side to allow access to the metal tray holes so I could bungie cord bulky items to the top of the box if we purchased any such items.

[image]

[image]
I also added an LED light inside the box lid so we could see inside better after dark.

* This post was last edited 07/28/19 09:14am by Black'95 *   View edit history

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 32  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  DIY

> My Chevrolet Express van Class B- camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.