Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Light Switch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Light Switch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/21 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just installed this one to replace a DF-IS001 on a porch light. If you look at the data sheet, you'll see it's DC rated. Perfect fit, it snapped right in. So far so good.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/21 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are willing to use an AC switch, Del City is the source I used to replace the single throw switch in my porch light with a double throw so I could make it a 3 way switch.

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So you know a switch rated for 120 or more volts AC (Standard house type switch) will have no problems with 12 volt DC. In fact it's kind of over kill. Cheaper but still over kill.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

So you know a switch rated for 120 or more volts AC (Standard house type switch) will have no problems with 12 volt DC. In fact it's kind of over kill. Cheaper but still over kill.

Switching DC is harder than switching AC, since AC has a zero voltage (and hence zero current) crossing 120 times every second. Any arcing that starts as the switch opens will generally dissipate during these times. With DC, on the other hand, the contacts need to move far enough apart to break the arc. If you look at the ratings for switches that have both AC and DC ratings, you'll see that the DC ratings are commonly lower than the AC ratings.

That being said, for non-safety-critical applications, I'd have no qualms about using an AC-only switch for DC applications if the voltage and current ratings are suitable. The failure mode generally is that the contacts eventually get welded together and the switch fails to open (i.e. it's stuck on permanently), and if that merely causes inconvenience rather than likely harm, it's not a huge deal to replace the broken switch.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 04:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that switching DC is harder but as I said a 120 volt AC switch will not have a problem with 12VDC... At least not at any current you are likely to encounter save on the power leads to an inverter and likely not even then.

It has to do with the 10 to one (Really 14 to one) voltage difference.
Every switch is rated both AC and DC volts and current. Just not all publish the DC ratings. . I used a standard AC switch for the porch light on my Scamp. the actual light was an automotive headlamp cartridge type (Modern) one element was bad (Likely the low beam) so I wired it up and put it in a Jelly Jar Porch light that I hung on the side of the Trailer and plugged into a 12 volt accessory outlet. that is about a 30-50 watt lamp. Most porch lights are 25 or less.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Light Switch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.