cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1968 Travel Queen Resto Mod - 14. Viewer Perceptions

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Recently, and on occasion, I've been going back into the past posts and threads of this project, and I'm feeling overwhelmed by the size of this endeavor.

At the time this thread is started, I've been at it hard and steady for six months! I'm starting to think I should rename it - A year in the life.

One should not see this particular post solely as a request for encouragement, but if it moves you in that direction, please feel free.

Like you perhaps, I suffer from that human condition called doubt.

I've been getting between 50-100 views daily, depending on which thread I've posted to, and I think depending on who is subscribed to any particular thread.

But seldom do I receive comments. There's a variety of possible reasons for that. At one extreme, many may well be enjoying the daily fun, and have already commented at one time or another that they are enjoying it, so they may feel they've said their piece and don't wish to belabor it. And others simply might not be the commenting type.

At the other extreme, perhaps some can't believe how foolish I am, and can't take their eyes away from the "crash scene" that they are witnessing unfold before their very eyes.

And still others might simply not want to disrupt the flow of the subject threads.

Others, who have commented, may feel my responses have implied I don't need it, don't want it, or discount it. I accept that many times I might lend less public weight to a suggestion than what the commentator might have expected, and of course that could cause anyone to stop contributing.

Also, I know I have a sense of humor that might tend to shut some down. If so, that's just me trying to be funny. Rest assured I consider seriously every suggestion and appreciate every comment. There is a uniqueness to this project, mostly due to the combination of small size, maximum system capabilities, and desire for restoration aspects, that might confound anybody attempting a particular problem resolution.

As the man in charge, I have to weigh all of it, including suggestions, into my final choices. That's pretty hard to do, and at the same time give appropriate validity to others.

But whatever the reasons, when I make posts day after day, and don't get comments, I'm left to wonder how this project, and myself as its instigator, are perceived.

This concern on my part, voiced like this, makes me very vulnerable. But then again, sharing the details of the project have already made me vulnerable. I guess I'm just wondering "what the damage is".

Therefore I've started this thread to provide a sounding board for those who may not want to disrupt the flow of a given thread, and to provide a place for the general encouragement I feel I need, and a spot for those who may even have something worse to say. If you choose the latter, please be gentile, I'm just as fragile as anybody else.

Another use might be for several to carry on a conversation regarding the project and a connection to what they are doing on their own camper, comparing this to that and to the other thing -"that reminded me of..." kind of a thing.

And of course, if you just don't like public speaking, I respond to every PM. ๐Ÿ™‚

And thanks for viewing my posts at the very least. Knowing that at least some are enjoying this, gives me a good push. I really don't think I would have been able to maintain this effort for so long without having a place to express myself.

Thank you!

1968 Travel Queen Resto Mod - 1. Acquisition & Evaluation
1968 Travel Queen Resto Mod - 2. Dismantling and Salvage
1968 Travel Queen Resto Mod - 3. Structure and New Wood
1968 Travel Queen Resto Mod - 4. Bathroom Remodel
1968 Travel Queen Resto Mod - 5. Propane
1968 Travel Queen Resto Mod - 6. Jacks & Tiedowns
1968 Travel Queen Resto Mod - 7. Finishes & Finishing
1968 Travel Queen Resto Mod - 8. Fresh Water
1968 Travel Queen Resto Mod - 9. Electrical (AC/DC)
1968 Travel Queen Resto Mod - 10. Galley & Greatroom
1968 Travel Queen Resto Mod - 11. Night Chamber
1968 Travel Queen Resto Mod - 12. Waste Water
1968 Travel Queen Resto Mod - 13. Exterior, Skin & Openings
1968 Travel Queen Resto Mod - 14. Viewer Perceptions
20 REPLIES 20

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Pat. You are one of the few actually offering encouragement and appreciation for my efforts in spite of my mistakes. It's quite well received - and indeed needed. Funny how closely a forum community reflects the realities found in our workplace, neighborhood, municipality and national communities.

I'm sure there are those who wish I would just go away and stay away, but I also know there's a quiet contingent who are receptive to my unique style of contribution, if not somewhat non-conformist. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks again!

NVR2L82AV8
Explorer
Explorer
Dave,

Just finished reviewing your bathroom and waste section. Nice!! Yea, funny how "life" gets in the way of our passions....Don't fret, you'll find "sparks" of opportunity, time and motivation get to back at it.

Pat
2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
In recent months, I've become more of a viewer than a doer, on Lil' Queeny that is. She sits quietly in her place, much like Lil' Willy has at various times during his stay with us over the years. So I thought I'd post an update here, under viewer perceptions.

Back around Mother's day we went and got DW's greenhouse - finally. Last Christmas I got her the smaller of the two HF houses on a whim, and subsequently we took it back to get the larger. Then we talked and figured and even looked at stock tanks, but finally decided on a plug-n'-play spa.

So now the green house is up with the spa inside and the building of terraces and plant stands around it are underway. Of course that was all after completely re-doing the garden area this spring and removing the house window, replaced with a door so we can come and go in the green house covered spa during winter months. But I digress. It's been a busy spring and early summer.

And there was that family business travel trailer trip to Utah too. But that's all okay. So much to do in the nice months; I'll get back to Lil' Queeny this winter. Maybe I'll even get her painted outside before then?

But that's in between all the other vehicle and home maintenance and improvements, and various short range trips, and putting up another wood burning season's worth of firewood. It's all good. One thing I've found out about old iron and old RVs is they are very patient.

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're very welcome and I am so glad the threads have helped you. I think any old stick-built camper is going to have the similar challenges and difficulties I (and you and others) have had.

But it seems especially with Travel Queens, there is a bit of daintiness to their build. Keeps 'em light I suppose. But with their original proprietary jack lift design - as opposed to corner jacks - they were built much lighter in the corners than a good deal of the other manufacturer designed camper corners. Quite a weak spot. Hope yours works well in that issue.

And thanks for your kind words.

Littlest_Birds
Explorer
Explorer
After years of roadtrips and car camping in a Volvo station wagon, I just brought home a 1966 Travel Queen truck camper! Obviously, I have no real idea yet what I'll find as I dig into it, but whatever it is, I'm looking forward to the process.

Just wanted to offer my sincere appreciation for this series of threads detailing your resto-mod. As we contemplated the purchase, I didn't sleep for a week! This forum was the only resource I could find that offered any substantive information, pictures, warnings or encouragement specific to Travel Queens.

Now that she's here, it's time to (carefully) dive in and I know I'll be combing through each post again looking for instruction and inspiration.

Good luck, and thank you for being so generous with your experience!:)

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Slickrock...Your picture of the El D. reminded me that I still have the roof rack and ladder from the old '74 we had. It fell apart so I sold off the parts. We were driving back from L.A. to Tacoma and we got to OR I noticed that the roof had peeled back behind the escape hatch like a sardine can, plastic and tape to get home in the rain...it was Dec. Had it on a 79 Ford 250 CS 460 auto...our first TC haven't looked back. THX for the reminder.
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
user113: Thanks for the nice words. I'm glad to hear where the extreme detail is appreciated and found useful. And your story of "catching up" was quite entertaining ๐Ÿ™‚

user113
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dave,

I too am very impressed with what you are undertaking. I just stumbled across this a few days ago. It has taken a lot of time to read all the various sections, but I am hooked. My wife walked past the office earlier today and said "Are you coming to bed? It's 3:40 AM!"

What impresses me almost as much as the work you are putting into Lil' Queenie is the detail with which you describe your experience. It took me many hours to read it all, I can only imagine how many hours you are spending documenting it.

I really appreciate the analysis you and the other commentators provide, because I am currently in the market for a truck camper and have learned so much from these threads already. I had to join just to let you know how grateful I am that you took the time to fill in the narrative.
2022 Palomino HS-2901
2004 Dodge RAM 3500

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Kudos to those of you who are expending the effort to fix up these old gems. And more kudos to those who take the time to share their experience. Dad sometimes wishes he'd fixed up our old Franklin TC. Having never worked on any such a makeover I can't offer any advice but will try to slip in an encouraging word now and then. I will make one comment ... you go to great detail in your posts and I'm sometimes put off by their length. Might be you could get by with a little less detail possibly stimulating more questions.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
slickrock steve wrote:
I also just realized I have not taken any new pics with the boot stripe, or the extra carry box on the back.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/siseley/CITRONS/camper%20pics%20011.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/siseley/CITRONS/camper20pics20010.jpg

Fixing the photo links.

2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

slickrock_steve
Explorer
Explorer
I also just realized I have not taken any new pics with the boot stripe, or the extra carry box on the back.

BEFORE:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/siseley/CITRONS/camper%20pics%20011.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/siseley/CITRONS/camper20pics20010.jpg

AFTER:

Thanks GoinThisAway.

Wayne

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Steve it's a good looking camper and looks like you're doing a great job. Maybe this thread was a good idea. I can see a lot of purpose for people to share their own older rebuilds.

slickrock_steve
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the project I have going. I have replaced the charging system with a set of solar panels, and controller, as well I put in two 12 volt deep cycles, and a 110vdc charger for use with my generator if i need to recharge quickly. I scraped and painted the outside as well as painted the inside of the roof brite white. The outside I painted with rustoleum white enamel, and put a stripe of silver with accents of black stripes and a howling coyote decal. Then I fabbed up a generator box, and an open top box for carrying the BBQ, gas jug for generator, and the dirty charcoal. on the back.

slickrock_steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Dave!

I too am looking at a LOT of problems in the 1972 El Dorado that I have. So far, the solar, battery and electrical, as well as lots of light damage over the years, have given me lots to work on in my retired confussion(sic). Keep at it, and when you are done, I will have been working with ya, even tho as a lurker, as I muddle around in my wood shop, or try to master the art of fabbing with my welder. I also must work from the inside out with the rot, and amazing finds about how cruddy these things were put together back in the "70's".
I am amazd they only used 1X material to hold major things together!!

Steve