Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child/baby seat confusion

Drakensberg
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there

We will be travelling to the US, and we are planning our first RV trip with a 2 year old. I would like more information about how to use a baby/child seat (I'm not sure of the exact US term) in a Class-B type RV.

As far as I can see, most of the seat belts in the back are lap belts. What type of car seat do we need to bring, how would we secure it, and where would it go?

I'm feeling quite daunted by this, and worried that perhaps our RV plan won't work out after all, so your input would be really appreciated.
26 REPLIES 26

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I’m too old to know anything about car seats but I hope y’all have a super great trip!
Thanks for visiting our country!!!

Drakensberg
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there

It has certainly been a long time since I posted on this forum, as we went on the trip in 2015, I think. We did buy a car seat in the States, but we had to get it delivered as we had no access to a vehicle prior to the RV rental. It worked out well, and we ended up being allowed to bring the seat back on the plane, and used it for a number of years afterwards.

It was an incredible trip, and one we are very grateful that we had the opportunity to do. Thanks for the input - now and then 😉

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Owning a Class B I have just a couple of comments. First make certain the RV you rent have forward facing seats other than the two front seats. For example, like many RV's mine model comes with a sofa with lap belts on the side behind the driver. Many Class B's have a sofa in the rear with lap belts, but be aware that your two year old will be riding over 10 feet behind you. There is at least one model I know of with 4 front facing individual seats but they are not common.

I doubt the OP will return. This thread is 5 years old and the OP hadn't returned since.

On edit: I read the whole thread (good on me) but never noticed the date! There is a similar thread on another forum that is current.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
spoon059 wrote:
OP, just make sure that the model that you use is rated for a car seat. Once you know its rated for a car seat, you can find a fire station or police station that is certified to install the seats for you if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself. It is a free service.

What type of trip are you planning? I hope you have a great and safe time!

I doubt the OP will return. This thread is 5 years old and the OP hadn't returned since.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, just make sure that the model that you use is rated for a car seat. Once you know its rated for a car seat, you can find a fire station or police station that is certified to install the seats for you if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself. It is a free service.

What type of trip are you planning? I hope you have a great and safe time!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Yup. A basic harness seat/booster seat combo is under $50US.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a car seat here. They can be purchased at just about any big box store easily.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

BubDelicious
Explorer
Explorer
Chock Full o' Nuts wrote:
BubDelicious wrote:

As far as in a class B or C, I would consider the front passenger seat( depending on a few things, like airbags).

NEVER put a child under 12 in the front passenger seat! It's the most dangerous seat in the car for a child, due to the airbag. When an airbag deploys, it literally punches a child in the chest and face. Many children have been killed by airbags. The best seat in the house is in the back, preferably in the middle.

Right, not saying put them in front of an airbag. The front seat might be an option if there are no airbags or you can turn the airbags off. The front seats may be the only OE left in the vehicle that have been safety tested, including everything around them(doors, pillars, trim). Everything behind the front seats may not have any safety testing done.(Iam not sure what is in a class B) Iam no expert on class B or C just always wondered how they would hold up.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I looked at my local Walmart and they have forward facing child seats from $176 to upwards of 400 dollars for the really fancy ones. Target is another national brand that has reasonably priced seats

Check out this page from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The type of seat that people have been referring to is the Forward Facing car seat in yellow box second from the left. Just under the pictures is a link to select a car seat based on your child's age and size. Link

As far as buckling the seat in the van, it's as simple as sliding the buckle through the back of the seat and clicking it to the buckle. then have your husband put his knee into the seat and add some weight while you tighten the belt. then just leave it secured there for the trip.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
BubDelicious wrote:

As far as in a class B or C, I would consider the front passenger seat( depending on a few things, like airbags).

NEVER put a child under 12 in the front passenger seat! It's the most dangerous seat in the car for a child, due to the airbag. When an airbag deploys, it literally punches a child in the chest and face. Many children have been killed by airbags. The best seat in the house is in the back, preferably in the middle.

Yes, yes, I know that we all somehow survived riding in the front seat, none of us had car seats, and few of us even had seatbelts in our parents' cars. What we don't know is the names of all those children who were killed or maimed for life because they weren't restrained. We know better now. If you have ever worked in a children's hospital (as I have) and seen what happens to an unrestrained child's body in a car accident, you will NEVER, EVER fail to restrain your children properly.

Off my soapbox now...
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

BubDelicious
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I would bring an airline certified car seat from home. I think I would want my 2 year old in car seat on the plane rather then just using a lap belt.
As far as in a class B or C, I would consider the front passenger seat( depending on a few things, like airbags). I have never been in a class B or C but often wondered how the seat belts and seats(dinette, couch) hold up in a crash.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I do not believe you can rent a car seat nor can you buy one used (and you shouldn't). If the car seat was in a car that was in an accident, it MUST be replaced. Most second hand stores like Goodwill or Salvation Army will not accept donated car seats for this reason, they have no idea if it is still safe to use. If they do accept it, they just throw it out.

When child safety is involved, there should be no skimping.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Tothill
Explorer
Explorer
If you are renting the RV ask the rental company about car seat installation.

Do you plan to bring your car seat from home? If not the rental company may be able to supply one.