Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Dinghy ignition key
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  General Topics

> Dinghy ignition key

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
dons2346

Sioux Falls, SD, formerly of So. CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/15 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't worry about it

obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/15 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2chiefsRus wrote:

We remove our tow car key and place it on the steering wheel of the motor home so we don't forget.
Exactly what we did.

Triker33

Homestead, FL

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/15 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a keyless toad. [emoticon]

Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/15 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

before you decide on what to do, keep in mind the shifting procedure that you must do when you own a CRV before towing. TO remove the ignition key from a CRV, you need to shift back to PARK before the key will come out. So you then need to put the key back in, start the engine and go through the whole shifting procedure again, which is start engine, shift to R, then to N, then to D, then to 2, then to 1, then back to 2, then back to D, then back to N and stop shifting at that point. If you accidently go to far and shift to R, you have made a mistake and must start all over. So if you use a non chipped key you have to go back past R at some point to get to Park to remove or install the key, which requires you to do the shifting procedure all over again, using a chipped key so you can start the engine. Too much trouble, just leave the key in the ignition and be done with it. The CRV procedure is spelled out in the owners manual, look in the index under "towing behind a Motor home". You will damage the tranny if you go back into R and then back into N without going into D, 2, and 1. SO read the manual, then go out and try to remove any key without shifting into park, it won't come out in any other position but PARK. make your decision with all these facts in your mind. I leave the chipped key in but I also have 3 padlocks on the tow bar before they can steal my CRV.

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/15 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we stop for lunch I remove the key to the toad and my key chain for the RV has a disconnect that allows me to separate the keys, key for toad and keys for RV, the key for the toad has a small banner that says remove before flight, this reminds me to insert key in toad before we get on the way.

RV and toad are locked, and when I fetch the keys to open the RV there is a small red banner reminding me to unlock the toad and release the steering and check connections.

navegator

robatthelake

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/15 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just use the Valet Key that came with the CRV! I have a Fob attached to the RV Door Key that Locks and Unlocks the Toads Doors. It also features a remote Start which I frequently use.The Valet a Key stays in the ignition when underway.

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Jack&Kay

Santa Rosa, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/15 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought our CR-V in October 2014 and I can't seem to locate a Vallet key. I have one for our 2009 Odyssey. Do I need to contact the dealer?

Jack & Kay
2015 Allegro 32CA
2014 Honda CR-V
FMCA #F341229

Johnny G1

Clearwater, British Columbia ,Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/15 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Towed my 2003 TDI for 10 yrs, just lock the door, problem solved.

98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 28' 5th wheel Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/15 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

When in place in the black keyhole, the key is virtually invisible to anyone looking in.

That would solve my only concern. Wouldn't want anyone to do damage trying to get into the vehicle, thinking they could drive away. Only problem is $50 for the laser cut key.

* This post was edited 07/11/15 06:39pm by mikestock *

GrampaR123

home

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/15 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've towed various CRV's for years. Most people don't realize it, but you can lock and unlock the driver's door (consequently all doors) without removing the key from the ignition or shifting any gears by simply using a second key (your wife's?) and inserting it in the driver's door handle and manally locking and unlocking the door/s. Simple.......we've done it that way for years every time we leave the motorhome and car to shop, eat lunch, etc.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  General Topics

> Dinghy ignition key
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS