Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Dinghy ignition key
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  General Topics

> Dinghy ignition key

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/15 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just lock the doors with the second set of keys. If someone breaks in the alarm goes off unless the fob is used to disarm it first. Ford BTW.

I hang a ballcap on the gear shifter and the ignition switch and key are not visible from outside.

Key stays in until the toad gets disconnected. I'm not doing the shift to neutral tow mode song and dance routine any more than necessary.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Mike NW

Spokane, Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/17 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow a CRV and I remember having the same question when we first towed. If it is a quick stop I just lock the doors. However, if we are going in somewhere like a Cabelas I pull the key. Seems like the safest way to ensure your vehicle isn't stolen.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/17 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our habit is to pull the keys but we don't have to go through so much to be able to tow. We have a post rest break or sightseeing checklist to follow when we stop and leave the rig. I am not allowed to move or start the rig without the DW reading me the checklist.

Too many of you have stated returning from lunch and finding lynch pins missing or other such vandalism. I need a post break check list just to make sure.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
95 Suzuki Sidekick 4X4
Stowmaster 5000

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/17 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the time, we tow with toad door unlocked and chipped key in the ignition. No locks on the tow bar setup. Door unlocked is partly because our first toad behind our first coach, sometimes came out of a tight turn dragging the front wheels sideways instead of returned to center. Had to get out and crank the wheel over.

At least for the moment, I'm more concerned about the consequences of

1. Forgetting to unlock the wheel before towing...

2. Not being able to break the tow quickly because of locks on the bar...

... than I am of somebody trying to start the toad while we're in the rest room.

... for longer stops, I lock the toad door.

... and will try to get an un-chipped key copy made. Toyota that's chipped but not one of those laser cut keys. Should be do-able and cost-effective.

Oh, I am concerned about the vandalism "Let's pull these pins" issue. May have to consider some padlocks. They don't have to be anti-theft strong, just anti-tampering.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/17 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

since there were three locks on the pins connecting the toad to MH I wasn't too worried about theft, other than overnights.
bumpy

Same here. Locking pins in the hitch at the receiver and at the tow bar knuckles.
Unless the thieves want to try to push the MH during the getaway, it's not much of a concern.
That said, we pull a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with non-locking steering, so there's no key in ignition required to tow 4 down.

Mike.
2018 Navion 24V "Goldilocks" 2016 JKU "Red" (sold @ ???)
2016 Sunstar 26HE (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

philandterri

Myrtle Beach SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We leave the key in except when stopping and disconnecting, tow bar is locked to the MH and car. Can't go anywhere locked to MH.

* This post was edited 01/03/18 03:01pm by an administrator/moderator *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  General Topics

> Dinghy ignition key
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS