Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Dropped 5er with Pullrite SuperGlide?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Dropped 5er with Pullrite SuperGlide?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next
MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/15 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recognize that the internet breeds paranoia. I've read several threads over the years about dropped fifth wheels on pickups, but another current thread got me to wondering. I have a Pullrite Superglide that I'm very happy with. The wrap-around jaws make it difficult to believe that they could release if closed properly, and it's hard to understand how they could be closed improperly.

All of that preamble is setting up the question. Has anyone actually dropped a fifth-wheel using a Pullrite Superglide? Not looking for "saw one dropped once" or "heard of one" etc. Just trying to understand if anyone has live experience with this problem when using a Pullrite.

As always, thanks.
Ron

Ron & Pat
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/15 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe they didn't live thru it, so can't respond.

pennysmom09

Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/15 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We almost dropped our 5th wheel using our pull rite the first time. It was purely our inexperience because we had never done it ourselves. The dealer hooked it up and then explained!! Fortunately, We left the front jacks about 2 inches off the ground, and I was watching as DH pulled forward. When I saw the trailer hitch start to slide out, I yelled "stop!", but when he put the truck in park, it slid out far enough to land on the jacks. We were a mess, but no damage and we finally got connected and it never happened again. We learned everything the hard way.

Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/15 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regardless of hitch type, 99% of the time it is not a mechanical failure when this happens, it is either poor procedure or getting out of sequence due to rushing or being interrupted when hooking up or unhooking.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

korbe

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/15 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally speaking, I have a hard time thinking any hitch would drop out unless it wasn't properly engaged. And I can't understand the pull test either. When my hitch is connected, I can see that it is and a pull test seems unnecessary. Maybe some hitches you can't tell by looking at it. My hitch is a Reese.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/15 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

path1 wrote:

Maybe they didn't live thru it, so can't respond.

[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Ed9824v

Agua Dulce, Calif. 70 mi N.E. of Los Angeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/15 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the pullrite and do the pull test after hook tires blocked and legs just off the ground and do a visual check of the pin latch before the pull test.

Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/15 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

korbe I'm with you, I don't understand the value of a pull test IF you visually see the jaws wrapped around the pin AND the wider pin flange below the jaws. I even painted my pin flange to make it easier to see this. I try to follow the proper process/procedure hooking up and ALWAYS visually look, but have never done a pull-test to double-check my visual check...just sayin', not recommending to others or trying to start a flame war...

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/15 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:

Regardless of hitch type, 99% of the time it is not a mechanical failure when this happens, it is either poor procedure or getting out of sequence due to rushing or being interrupted when hooking up or unhooking.

The problem some are much more complicated to use than others and that lends to mistakes!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/15 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After watching a neighbor drop his fifth on his truck that was not the hitch at fault but him not thinking. Really was a dumb move but I now do the pull test from learning we can be dumb at times. I would do this using any brand of hitch.

chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Dropped 5er with Pullrite SuperGlide?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS