Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Dropped 5er with Pullrite SuperGlide?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Dropped 5er with Pullrite SuperGlide?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/15 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNRon wrote:

korbe I'm with you, I don't understand the value of a pull test IF you visually see the jaws wrapped around the pin AND the wider pin flange below the jaws. I even painted my pin flange to make it easier to see this. I try to follow the proper process/procedure hooking up and ALWAYS visually look, but have never done a pull-test to double-check my visual check...just sayin', not recommending to others or trying to start a flame war...

Nice to see some people live by common sense!

With my B&W the kingpin plate and hitch plate are touching the handle is closed and LOCKED and the 1" thick jaws are closed around the kingpin it is hitched and can not separate.

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/15 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't recall doing a pull test ever. I see no reason for it if the jaws have closed and locked.

I do do a brake test though.

CarlT100

Altamonte Springs, FL

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/15 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do a visual inspection, make sure the lever is locked and pinned, and then I do a pull test. I would rather be safe than sorry. I watched a fellow in the storage lot I use drop his FW on his brand new F-350. It was his fault, he failed to make sure the hitch was locked. Had he done a pull test, He would not need a new bed for his brand new truck.

Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/15 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:

Regardless of hitch type, 99% of the time it is not a mechanical failure when this happens, it is either poor procedure or getting out of sequence due to rushing or being interrupted when hooking up or unhooking.

X1, RIGHT ON! When I am hooking up to my 5th wheel, I tell everyone and anyone to NOT talk or ask questions until I tell you its ok to talk to me[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/15 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNRon wrote:

korbe I'm with you, I don't understand the value of a pull test IF you visually see the jaws wrapped around the pin AND the wider pin flange below the jaws. I even painted my pin flange to make it easier to see this. I try to follow the proper process/procedure hooking up and ALWAYS visually look, but have never done a pull-test to double-check my visual check...just sayin', not recommending to others or trying to start a flame war...

Micki Bitsko says "If you do the pull test you have nothing to loose and everything to gain". Every RV technician/sales that I have talked to has always recommended doing the pull test.

RollandB

Albany, Or

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/15 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Superglide is a 3300 which I would assume is like the the current model, if it doesn't latch I know it before getting out of the truck. There is a diff inmate sound when it latches and doesn't take much to latch. I do the visual check then hook up the poser, and safety cable, then pull test, brake and light check. I'd rather deal with peace of mind than Murphys Law.

2005 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab Long Box, Duramax/Allison, B&W Companion, TST507's

2016 Artic Fox 27-5L

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/15 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

I don't recall doing a pull test ever. I see no reason for it if the jaws have closed and locked.

I do do a brake test though.

why do a brake test they worked the last time you hit the brakes.
I know I m being silly but I would do both it is so easy.

chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

southernsky

Ponchatoula La.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/15 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old Duck wrote:

My Superglide is a 3300 which I would assume is like the the current model, if it doesn't latch I know it before getting out of the truck. There is a diff inmate sound when it latches and doesn't take much to latch. I do the visual check then hook up the poser, and safety cable, then pull test, brake and light check. I'd rather deal with peace of mind than Murphys Law.

X2 Better safe then sorry

2011 Ram 3500 DRW Mega Cab 6.7 CTD 4X4
2016 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
PullRite SuperGlide 5th Airborne

tsetsaf

On the Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/15 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Superglide is a great hitch with easy hookup and positive "clank" engagement. I hitch, visually inspect, raise the gear, and brake test.

2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/15 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

djgarcia wrote:

MNRon wrote:

Micki Bitsko says "If you do the pull test you have nothing to loose and everything to gain". Every RV technician/sales that I have talked to has always recommended doing the pull test.

Do you really think they would tell you not to and risk a law suit?

When I had a RBW hitch I did a pull test. Made sense because you physically could not tell for a fact everything was latched.

If I had a hitch that had a color code or some other obscure method of latching I sure would do a pull test also!

Close the handle lock it and check that the plates are touching and the 1" jaws are closed. No need to do a pull test. Do a pull if you want but I do a visual test.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Dropped 5er with Pullrite SuperGlide?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS